BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-31-2021, 02:19 AM   #1
G05V8
Rep
Drives: F13 F15 G05

Whining on cold start

Hello, ever since it started getting colder I noticed when its 35 degrees or less my wifes F15 N55 driving from a cold start has a whining noise which fluctuates with RPM but tends to go away once the car is warm. I've had my transmission pan/fluid replaced a few months ago as well my serpentine belt along with idler pulley so I can pretty much rule out 2 common possible issues. Anyone else who reside in colder climates have this as well?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 04:53 AM   #2
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by G05V8 View Post
Hello, ever since it started getting colder I noticed when its 35 degrees or less my wifes F15 N55 driving from a cold start has a whining noise which fluctuates with RPM but tends to go away once the car is warm. I've had my transmission pan/fluid replaced a few months ago as well my serpentine belt along with idler pulley so I can pretty much rule out 2 common possible issues. Anyone else who reside in colder climates have this as well?
Could be a few things.

If it's a loud squealing sound you need to re-adjust your belt.

You could be hearing the power steering pump trying to move cold fluid, especially if you hear the whine change pitch when you turn the steering wheel, and since you recently replaced the belt it may need some tension adjusting to help the pump. That usually happens when it's much colder though.

If it's a whine through the speakers then you have a ground issue somewhere on the vehicle. You can usually rule that out by turning the stereo completely off and see if it stops, but with the iDrive system I don't know if that works.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
G05V85.00
      12-31-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
G05V8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Could be a few things.

If it's a loud squealing sound you need to re-adjust your belt.

You could be hearing the power steering pump trying to move cold fluid, especially if you hear the whine change pitch when you turn the steering wheel, and since you recently replaced the belt it may need some tension adjusting to help the pump. That usually happens when it's much colder though.

If it's a whine through the speakers then you have a ground issue somewhere on the vehicle. You can usually rule that out by turning the stereo completely off and see if it stops, but with the iDrive system I don't know if that works.
Thanks for the reply! I see you mentioned the power steering pump forgive my ignorance but do I even have one considering its electric steering?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 06:23 AM   #4
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

How do you adjust the tension on the belt?.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 11:52 PM   #5
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I see you mentioned the power steering pump forgive my ignorance but do I even have one considering its electric steering?
Ah good point. Depending on options some F15 have hydraulic steering. Active Steering and DHP options will come with it.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 12:00 AM   #6
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
How do you adjust the tension on the belt?.
The N55 uses an auto-tension pulley, meaning it's spring driven and we can't "adjust" it, but you can check belt alignment and adjust as needed. If you feel the tension is out of spec than you may need to replace the tensioner.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 09:20 AM   #7
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Did you replace the idler pulley OR the belt tensioner? They are different.
Appreciate 1
G05V85.00
      01-05-2022, 12:01 AM   #8
G05V8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
Did you replace the idler pulley OR the belt tensioner? They are different.
Checked my invoice and it seems both have been replaced #11288604266 and #11288673720. Started to get a whirring howling noise anywhere from 20-60mph doesn't seem to be tire related as they have only about 3k miles on them (Conti DWS). Although my warranty expired about a month ago did make an appointment at the dealer next week hopefully it's nothing serious.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 06:49 AM   #9
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Is it an X drive?. Could be transfer case/differential issue. Wheel bearings are also a possibility. Just because tires are newish doesn't mean they were balanced properly or don't have a manufacturing defect from new.
Appreciate 0