08-30-2018, 04:41 AM   #1
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Joining the club (new tires advice)

Hello all,

Over the weekend, I purchased a new to me 2015 X5d with 48,000 miles Car seems to be in amazing condition. M sport, line departure, comfort seats, 4 zone climate, comfort access, 20inch wheels, silver over black, top view camera, etc. Purchased it in Ft Lauderdale while on vacation.

Prior to purchase, I pulled the codes and it showed two injectors possibly failing. Purchased the car anyway and took it to the dealership to be checked out. My warranty expires in 1400 miles and the trek home is 1000 miles.

Any recommendations what I could complain about prior to warranty expiring? I haven’t heard suspension clunking or anything, how common is that issue?

Anyway, attached is a picture of my new baby. Soon, I’ll be swapping out these run flats and replacing breaks. Too bad the maintenance doesn’t transfer to second owner.

Any advice on which tires to go with? It seems like a lot of people go with dsw06. How are they on this vehicle? I hated them on my e92 as they felt too soft and made the car wobbly.
Tire rack also lists Michelin as3 (n spec) as available tire for our vehicle. Is anyone running those? How are they on this vehicle? (I rather do all season tires as I live in DC area and we get occasional snow.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
rntaylor137.00
Russmov1328.00
      08-30-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
I tried the dws06 and had all sorts of issues. That’s not the norm for most on this forum and you’re going to get a lot of recommendations for that tire. I had constant flat spotting (like pretty much every day). I swapped to the Michelin n spec after a month on the dws06 and haven’t looked back, love those n spec. Solid handling, quieter than the dws06, and no more flat spotting. This is the only tire I will put on my X5 from now on.
Appreciate 1
1230vani652.50
      08-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
rntaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 550i MSp, 15 F15 50 MSp

Congrat's on the X5 and welcome to the X5 Forum!

DWS06!!! I put them on my current X5 F15 and had them on my E70. No issues with them on either X5. Good tread life and a nice quiet comfortable ride.

As for the flat spotting. I will admit when the X5 sits for a few days during the winter months (cold temperatures) I do have some flat spotting, but after a couple of miles of driving the tires are warmed up and it's gone.

I see you're in the DMV area.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
:

Plenty of threads covering all of your questions. Including an active one now about getting a PPI done prior to warranty expiring.

Most recommend the DWS and those that went with the Porsche Michelin's love em too. They're just $3-400 more for the set.

DWS have done great in the snow. Especially the kind of snow we get in the lower VA where I live.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJer View Post
I tried the dws06 and had all sorts of issues. That’s not the norm for most on this forum and you’re going to get a lot of recommendations for that tire. I had constant flat spotting (like pretty much every day). I swapped to the Michelin n spec after a month on the dws06 and haven’t looked back, love those n spec. Solid handling, quieter than the dws06, and no more flat spotting. This is the only tire I will put on my X5 from now on.
That's been my experience with as3 and as3+ on my other car. Good to know its driving dynamics don't change with this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntaylor View Post
Congrat's on the X5 and welcome to the X5 Forum!

DWS06!!! I put them on my current X5 F15 and had them on my E70. No issues with them on either X5. Good tread life and a nice quiet comfortable ride.

As for the flat spotting. I will admit when the X5 sits for a few days during the winter months (cold temperatures) I do have some flat spotting, but after a couple of miles of driving the tires are warmed up and it's gone.

I see you're in the DMV area.
Thanks! I keep reading on people loving dws. I wish I could text them out before buying.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
:

Plenty of threads covering all of your questions. Including an active one now about getting a PPI done prior to warranty expiring.

Most recommend the DWS and those that went with the Porsche Michelin's love em too. They're just $3-400 more for the set.

DWS have done great in the snow. Especially the kind of snow we get in the lower VA where I live.
I read that one. I was thinking about doing PPI, but I am not sure about shops here in Orlando (still on vacation until next week). But by the time I get home I might be out of warranty.

I paid the mechanic who is replacing the injectors to go through the car and let me know if he sees anything wrong. He said he didn't see anything wrong with it - even on the lift. He said he couldn't even recall any service bulletins regarding the vehicle about which I could "complain" about - thus my question about the clunking in the front suspension (that seems to be the only TSB I found on this car).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Hello all,

Over the weekend, I purchased a new to me 2015 X5d with 48,000 miles Car seems to be in amazing condition. M sport, line departure, comfort seats, 4 zone climate, comfort access, 20inch wheels, silver over black, top view camera, etc. Purchased it in Ft Lauderdale while on vacation.

Prior to purchase, I pulled the codes and it showed two injectors possibly failing. Purchased the car anyway and took it to the dealership to be checked out. My warranty expires in 1400 miles and the trek home is 1000 miles.

Any recommendations what I could complain about prior to warranty expiring? I haven’t heard suspension clunking or anything, how common is that issue?

Anyway, attached is a picture of my new baby. Soon, I’ll be swapping out these run flats and replacing breaks. Too bad the maintenance doesn’t transfer to second owner.

Any advice on which tires to go with? It seems like a lot of people go with dsw06. How are they on this vehicle? I hated them on my e92 as they felt too soft and made the car wobbly.
Tire rack also lists Michelin as3 (n spec) as available tire for our vehicle. Is anyone running those? How are they on this vehicle? (I rather do all season tires as I live in DC area and we get occasional snow.

Thanks!
Have you checked the leather of the driver seat (the area right above the seat control) Inspect for possible leather cracks due to failing cushion in that area. people in here got it replaced under warranty. I know, it may be wear and tear thing, but if you can get it replace for free (normal cost around $700), then you will have a new seat bottom rather than the worn out one!
Appreciate 1
W37V1102.50
      08-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntp View Post
Have you checked the leather of the driver seat (the area right above the seat control) Inspect for possible leather cracks due to failing cushion in that area. people in here got it replaced under warranty. I know, it may be wear and tear thing, but if you can get it replace for free (normal cost around $700), then you will have a new seat bottom rather than the worn out one!
I will check it again. I didn't see anything when I looked first time around, but maybe I missed it. Also, I think the car was driven by a middle aged petite woman. This observation is based on the hair found in the car, radio, and seat settings.

Also quick update on the repair status. Stopped by dealership and talked to mechanic. He said they are replacing 3 injectors and upgrading the entire car software to the latest version. He said that once the car is upgraded, they would run another diagnostic to confirm that all errors were resolved. Kind of happy about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 09:10 PM   #10
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I will check it again. I didn't see anything when I looked first time around, but maybe I missed it. Also, I think the car was driven by a middle aged petite woman. This observation is based on the hair found in the car, radio, and seat settings.

Also quick update on the repair status. Stopped by dealership and talked to mechanic. He said they are replacing 3 injectors and upgrading the entire car software to the latest version. He said that once the car is upgraded, they would run another diagnostic to confirm that all errors were resolved. Kind of happy about that.
NOOOOOOOO! Don't upgrade the software! Then you can't change the interior color scheme to custom colors! Biggest regret I have outside not having a PPI done before my warranty ran out
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #11
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
NOOOOOOOO! Don't upgrade the software! Then you can't change the interior color scheme to custom colors! Biggest regret I have outside not having a PPI done before my warranty ran out
Too late.

From what I read, the new software allows smoother idle on diesel models. Tech also said that the new software would allow further diagnostics to be completed. So, I’m willing to suffer with the lights.

I also paid the mechanic to do a thorough inspection of the vehicle. Better to pay him then dealership. He said he would check it out and let me know / fix if he sees anything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #12
X5D MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 Diesel M Sport

Quote:

I would like more information if any has it on this upgrading of the software. I also have a diesel that I just got about a month ago. Would like to know what issues the software addresses and how can I tell what version of software I am currently running?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

I passed on the software update for my '15 X5d because of all of the custom software updating I've had done.
The update for the diesels merely widens the range of fuel quality the vehicle can accommodate. Taking the update WILL overwrite ALL of the vehicles software.
Can't help with software version #.
      08-31-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
mindcontrollerone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 / 2015 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Will there ever be a fix for this? Why was your software updated? I'm having the fiber optics replaced on all my door panels next week. Should I be concerned?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #15
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcontrollerone View Post
Will there ever be a fix for this? Why was your software updated? I'm having the fiber optics replaced on all my door panels next week. Should I be concerned?
Not sure who you were referring to but... mine was updated in order to resolve any injector (potential “misfire”) issues. Mechanic said that all they needs to do was to replace injectors, but since the car was so close to being outside of the warranty and software being out of date, they asked permission from bmw to have the entire car updated. They got permission so they went for it.

Mechanic said that the new software would allow deeper diagnostics of all modules and any other issues to reveal themselves. No clue what the difference between versions is. If I see him tomorrow at the time of car pick up, I will def ask.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2018, 08:43 PM   #16
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5D MSport View Post
I would like more information if any has it on this upgrading of the software. I also have a diesel that I just got about a month ago. Would like to know what issues the software addresses and how can I tell what version of software I am currently running?
Get cables and software (ista etc) and you will be able to read the version. No clue on differences. Will ask.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #17
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15GorDe View Post
I passed on the software update for my '15 X5d because of all of the custom software updating I've had done.
The update for the diesels merely widens the range of fuel quality the vehicle can accommodate. Taking the update WILL overwrite ALL of the vehicles software.
Can't help with software version #.
Unless you had something very specific coded to the car, all lighter codings should be easily replicated. If you have Carly, just do back up of you modules, and once they flash everything, flash the settings back from back up and you are good to go. If you coded something else such as enhanced Bluetooth, then you might need to get it done again from scratch.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 10:54 PM   #18
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcontrollerone View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's no fix they just wrote out the code giving you the ability. Idk why. And software and replacing the little plastic pieces are two different things.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #19
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Got the car yesterday and checked the seats. There are some Cracks on the seat cushion (driver side only). How much trouble (push back) did people have to get the seat cushion replaced?

Also, I may have heard a slight clunk from front end, so I might bring that issue up as well. Hopefully, by the end of the warranty I’ll have well sorted out car in excellent condition.

Also, I found out that 3 out of 4 tires are fairly new. However in about a month they will be useless in the colder weather.

Since getting the vehicle back, idle is smoother and it pulls way stronger.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #20
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

Quote:
Got the car yesterday and checked the seats. There are some Cracks on the seat cushion (driver side only). How much trouble (push back) did people have to get the seat cushion replaced?

Also, I may have heard a slight clunk from front end, so I might bring that issue up as well. Hopefully, by the end of the warranty I’ll have well sorted out car in excellent condition.

Also, I found out that 3 out of 4 tires are fairly new. However in about a month they will be useless in the colder weather.

Since getting the vehicle back, idle is smoother and it pulls way stronger.
About the leather crack, it depends on how big it is. Search the forum for a threat mentioning the "BMW guidelines" for replacing it. Mine got replaced no questions asked.
Appreciate 1
W37V1102.50
      09-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #21
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
About the leather crack, it depends on how big it is. Search the forum for a threat mentioning the "BMW guidelines" for replacing it. Mine got replaced no questions asked.
I will take the car in probably on Friday to have it checked out.

Also, I want them to check out my steering rack. The steering wheel feels a little vague when not steering (almost like a dead spot). The feeling is the same regardless of the driving mode (sport, comfort, eco).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #22
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
I will take the car in probably on Friday to have it checked out.

Also, I want them to check out my steering rack. The steering wheel feels a little vague when not steering (almost like a dead spot). The feeling is the same regardless of the driving mode (sport, comfort, eco).
Sounds normal. Steering is electric assist.
Appreciate 0