BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
thegame81
Registered
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Questions for owners (Looking to purchase)

Hi everyone,

I currently am considering purchasing a lightly used F85 but I am very new to the platform. I have a Nissan GTR and a Jeep Grand Cherokee but I was thinking of getting rid of both and buying one fun suv. My friend purchased a Range Rover Sport SVR but it has been nothing but problems and a headache for him. From the research I have done the BW seems much more reliable and to me much better looking as well.

I do live in Northern NJ so snow and crappy roads may be an issue. I guess a set of rims/tires for winters should make the truck a good choice for my area. Anyway I guess I was just looking for general feedback on anything I may want to stay away from (years/models) and seeing how your ownership experience has been. Thanks for your time and sick trucks!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
abenson91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: old

Hey, new X6M owner here. I’ve had mine for two months now, 2016 with almost 38k miles. Everything has been good so far. Leather is in good condition from previous owner seems to hold up well. I will say when looking for common issues I wasn’t able to find much info. So I went ahead and got Maxcare since I purchased mine from Carmax. I have noticed Carmax is good about pricing Maxcare based on their research of repairs and for nearly 70k miles of coverage they only charged me $3k. Too soon probably to tell but I have every expectation this will be very reliable
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #3
Yuille36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I've purchased my new to me 2015 X5M in Donington Gray with Red Mugello Extended Leather back in November of last year. When, I recently had it on the lift, to do I power steering flush. We discovered a leaky power steering hose, which only required tightening. The vehicle has been flawless during my almost 1 year of ownership, I have not had any issues. Since then, I have had the engine coolant flushed, power steering fluid flushed and brake flush. Next month, I'm doing the front and rear differentials, and transfer case. Then in November a transmission flush. I've found that if you do proper maintenance on any vehicle that vehicle should provide you year of trouble free service. I also have a 13 year old Mercedes E63 AMG.

But, I absolutely love this X5M, the exterior is aggressive, and the interior is luxurious. The only thing I liked about the Range Rover Sport SVR, is the front end. But hearing about all it's issues is troubling. I think that if you purchase an X5M, you would enjoy it. The only caveat is the dealership can be quite expensive to have services performed.

Since then, I've had all four wheels refinished. Installed the following Carbon Fiber items; center console, shift knob and steering wheel trim and door pins.
Appreciate 1
MNhv92.00
      09-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
MNhv
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Subbed. My F80 lease is going to be up soon and looking to get into a 15-17 X5M.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #5
Mark_G
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M competition

It's a great daily driver. Very reliable, quick, fun, and practical.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
abenson91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
I've purchased my new to me 2015 X5M in Donington Gray with Red Mugello Extended Leather back in November of last year. When, I recently had it on the lift, to do I power steering flush. We discovered a leaky power steering hose, which only required tightening. The vehicle has been flawless during my almost 1 year of ownership, I have not had any issues. Since then, I have had the engine coolant flushed, power steering fluid flushed and brake flush. Next month, I'm doing the front and rear differentials, and transfer case. Then in November a transmission flush. I've found that if you do proper maintenance on any vehicle that vehicle should provide you year of trouble free service. I also have a 13 year old Mercedes E63 AMG.

But, I absolutely love this X5M, the exterior is aggressive, and the interior is luxurious. The only thing I liked about the Range Rover Sport SVR, is the front end. But hearing about all it's issues is troubling. I think that if you purchase an X5M, you would enjoy it. The only caveat is the dealership can be quite expensive to have services performed.

Since then, I've had all four wheels refinished. Installed the following Carbon Fiber items; center console, shift knob and steering wheel trim and door pins.
Can you provide some details on when you did the fluid flushes. My SA told me BMW doesn’t recommend because of lifetime fluids so they’ll do it but won’t advise on when.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Yuille36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenson91 View Post
Can you provide some details on when you did the fluid flushes. My SA told me BMW doesn’t recommend because of lifetime fluids so they’ll do it but won’t advise on when.
Don't believe the hype... As you and I both know, their is no such thing as lifetime fluids. I have always followed what Mercedes-AMG has recommended for my E63. My regiment is:

Oil change every year, but I change mine every 6 months.
Brake Fluid, Power Steering Fluid every 2 yrs.
Engine Coolant, Transmission, Transfer Case and Front and Rear Differentials every 4 yrs.

I would also recommend changing out the Intercooler Fluid every 4 yrs.
This is just a good maintenance schedule to follow.

I asked BMW of Fairfax, about changing the tranny fluid, and got the same answer. So I purchased and transmission service kit; filter, gasket, and bolts, etc.
And will get the TF fluids sometime next month. I don't trust what BMW is telling me. They are waiting, for us not to change the fluids, then when the inevitable happens, you have to $$$$ pay up.

Last edited by Yuille36; 09-29-2020 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
Talaldinho
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenson91 View Post
Can you provide some details on when you did the fluid flushes. My SA told me BMW doesn't recommend because of lifetime fluids so they'll do it but won't advise on when.
Don't believe the hype... As you and I both know, their is no such thing as lifetime fluids. I have always followed what Mercedes-AMG has recommended for my E63. My regiment is:

Engine Coolant, Transmission, Transfer Case and Front and Rear Differentials every 4 yrs.

I asked BMW of Fairfax, about changing the tranny fluid, and got the same answer. So I purchased and transmission service kit; filter, gasket, and bolts, etc.
And will get the TF fluids sometime next month. I don't trust what BMW is telling me. They are waiting, for us not to change the fluids, then when the inevitable happens, you have to $$$$ pay up.
from my understanding on paper the RRS SVR should better in terms of performance on paper.

interior space : SVR
interior practicality: X6.. the touch screen functions on the SVR are terrible while driving.

The exhaust sound on the SVR is a symphony.
you would need a tune or an upgrade for the X6 to match the sound on the SVR.

in terms of handling the X6 should be better on corners.. can someone confirm?

regarding snow and bad roads, it all comes to tires and your style of driving.

nonetheless, I would not buy any of them without warranty.
17 BMW X5
18 BMW M6
18 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:38 PM   #9
Bee m
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: e60 m5 // f86 x6m

Quote:

This is also very similar to what i do. except i do oil changes every 5k miles, which may be the same thing depending on driving habbits.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #10
Yuille36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I reached out to my supplier about e transmission service kit, that was on back order for 3-5 weeks. The good news is that they are expecting for this kit to be in on Oct 2nd. So, I'll contact them on the 2 nod to see if it's in stock, and get an eta on my shipment. This kit cost me only $137.50. The transmission fluid from BMW is rather expensive, so I'll locate it somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:29 PM   #11
abenson91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee m View Post
This is also very similar to what i do. except i do oil changes every 5k miles, which may be the same thing depending on driving habbits.
How long are you guys planning to keep your vehicles then? I knew BMW was feeding me horse shit about the lifetime fluids. Finally got my SA to tell me to change fluids at 100k with my 335 but sold it at 90k in august. My X6M is under warranty for 62k more miles and it looks like my work from home is permanent so that should last the full 5 years. Debating sticking to BMWs recommendation of never changing the lifetime fluids if I sell before 100k.

I can only imagine the risk in buying 100k+ mile M cars 😖
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #12
cloose
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 Volvo XC60 Polestar

2018 X5M Potential Purchase

I am also considering coming to the BMW side. Currently have 2018 Volvo XC60 Polestar R Design.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #13
cloose
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 Volvo XC60 Polestar

Is there a problem with a well taken care of BMW after 100K? My wife has an XC 90 with 140k and runs like a clock. We are religious about maintenance and it has paid off.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
What is intercooler fluid?
2015 Porsche GT3
2004 Ferrari 360 Spider 6M
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #15
Yuille36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Let me first clarify. Intercooler fluid is simply your typical engine coolant. Your X5M has two different cooling systems. One for the engine coolant and the other for the turbo charging systems, to cool the intake charge to the engine.
Both systems with their own coolant reservoirs when you open your hood. As you already know, coolant does not last forever so it does need changing, so your system runs better.

Last edited by Yuille36; 10-02-2020 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #16
Craig NZ
Rep
Drives: BMW F86

My wife has had three Range Rovers, they are the biggest piece of shit ever built. We just sold her new Velar and now she is driving my F86 as a daily driver. This doesn’t impress me much as I have just had it remapped to 737hp and was meant to be my weekend fun truck. Pay the extra money and buy a BMW, I’m going to buy the wife a X4m, money well spent. Google, problems with Range Rover, it will take you weeks to read all the comments, and yes we did own three Rovers, but I kept thinking the next one would be better.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #17
Yuille36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Every car has their flaws, some more than others. But Range Rovers have bad reliability issues period. I have been quite please with my last two BMW SAV's. And I would without hesitation purchase another one, when it comes time.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #18
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Be very careful with Range Rover. My friend needed an engine replacement with about 50k miles. They tried to blame him for it, but after a thorough inspection they realized with the help of my friends insurance company that the engine simply seized. No mods involved. He also complained to me about the service at Range Rover, said it basically sucked.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #19
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Just to clarify the major differences between MY15,16 - MY17,18 are the idrive system, touch screen and apple carplay?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #20
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Put 30k miles on my F86 in a year. Nothing out of the ordinary for maintenance. Now sitting at 60k miles. Only thing BMW does is change my oil. All other work is done by my mechanic since I have a bunch of mods.
      10-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #21
Yuille36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Never take your warrantied X5M to the dealer if you have mods, if they discover it, they will void the remainder of your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
Thanks for the info on the inter cooler info. Had no idea there were 2 systems. Learn something new every day.
2015 Porsche GT3
2004 Ferrari 360 Spider 6M
Appreciate 0