BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

Advice on buyout 2016x5m vs 2014 cp m5

Hello I have a 2016 black on black x5m 23 k miles coming off lease January 2019. Buyout is currently 69 but with last few lease payments should be 65ish plus New York tax . Car is garaged and well cared with no issue and no mechanical issues. My friend owns a 2014 m5 cp with 22 k miles in excellent condition and garaged. I previously have owned three m5/ and an m6. Tired of turning in mint cars but my question is opinion. I can buy the 2014 comp pack m5 for 41 grand with a year in warranty remaining. I prefer the sedan although x5m has all wheel but does not help me in snow. Curious what the boards opinion is? I feel like the m5 is a good buy at the price and the x5m still has a fairly steep depreciation. What's better value ? I know two diff cars but not so diff Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

2014 m5 cp with low mileage and a year in warranty for 41K sounds like a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewlock View Post
2014 m5 cp with low mileage and a year in warranty for 41K sounds like a good deal.
Agreed. The depreciation hit has already been factored into the price + warranty. Ultimately the decision is yours, but drive them back to back then draw your own conclusion. Decisions, decisions! (both great vehicles btw). Good luck & let us know what you decide.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
mike in o.c.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M / 2018 X3 M40i

I think you answered your own question when you said you preferred a sedan.
I’m trading in my M2 for an X5M because I prefer an SUV/SAV..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in o.c. View Post
I think you answered your own question when you said you preferred a sedan.
I'm trading in my M2 for an X5M because I prefer an SUV/SAV..
Thank you for your responses . The x5m has been great. What impressed me about my previous 2013 m5 was how dynamic they made the suspension. It could cruise and idle through bumpy roads like a luxury sedan and in sport plus was a different animal. The x5m however in comfort is a bit too firm. Not sure if tire width adds to that along with center of gravity I just believe it's tweaked one setting too high. I've read about some long term problems with f10s. Ac compressors. I believe the 2014 i am potentially acquiring may have had a compressor or condenser issue. Do injectors fail or need to be replaced ? Is it common. How many miles on dcg clutches normal driving ? Best regards
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblade View Post
Thank you for your responses . The x5m has been great. What impressed me about my previous 2013 m5 was how dynamic they made the suspension. It could cruise and idle through bumpy roads like a luxury sedan and in sport plus was a different animal. The x5m however in comfort is a bit too firm. Not sure if tire width adds to that along with center of gravity I just believe it's tweaked one setting too high. I've read about some long term problems with f10s. Ac compressors. I believe the 2014 i am potentially acquiring may have had a compressor or condenser issue. Do injectors fail or need to be replaced ? Is it common. How many miles on dcg clutches normal driving ? Best regards
If recall, the E70 had 2 settings for the suspension, the F85 has 3. Too bad you can't find a comfortable shock setting. Run flat tires contribute to harshness if you use those. As for the hydraulic steering on the E70, I felt it had better road feel compared to the F85. But that's just me I guess...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 02:12 AM   #7
ajgraham
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Nada

Timing is not great with the new X5 coming out this month, even with no initial new X5M available the 100 or so new X5Ms left on the market are being discounted. I leased a new X5M last month with $13k discount thanks in part to timing.

You should get an online quote with Vroom, Carvana, and maybe in person with Carmax if you have the time as that will tell you where you are with positive/negative equity. You should speak to your dealership nearer the lease end to see what deal they might be able to cut. Normally if the residual value is significantly lower than the buyout BMWFS will knock some money off. BMW have been trying to clamp down on discounting the buyout for the original lessee though.

Of course you could try the new M5 which has the controllable RWD/4WD, already some discounts to be had with them: https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/2019-bmw-m5-lease/68509
Appreciate 0