Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTookies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJ View Post
In TX there's no emissions inspection for Diesel vehicles.
The Wait is over!

Summarized post can be found here: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post23586297
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJ View Post
In TX there's no emissions inspection for Diesel vehicles.
The Wait is over!

Summarized post can be found here: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post23586297
following
Appreciate 1
MrTookies457.50
      09-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #24
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Bob@BPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@BPC View Post
I love the work you guys are doing on the diesel platform.
I can 't wait for the results of this build:
https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthr...2#post23683492

I just wish there was a common sub-forum for all diesel stuff, so we don't not need to hunt down all information by going on various sites (f10, e90, etc.). I am truly curious as what is max potential of N57 engine as they come in tri-turbo set up in EU (N57S).

Few questions for you ( I am still learning about N57, so pardon my ignorance):

What tune would recommend for reducing carbon build up? I would like to keep all stock items, but just reduce possibility of carbon build up. Can Bob do "off road tune" where EGR is disabled, yet everything else is in place? If so, would that result in anything else being negatively affected? Would I still get to keep urea tanks and them actually being used?

What I am after: extend reliability without going stinky or smoky. Car is daily driver. I don't want to mess with emission components unless abs need to.

Would reduction of EGR to 10% would yield similar results in carbon build up reduction as completely disabling it?

Lastly, would you offer discount to returning customers (something like 25% ) ?

Keep up the good work!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #25
Jmo550
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Bob@BPC

I just wish there was a common sub-forum for all diesel stuff, so we don't not need to hunt down all information by going on various sites (f10, e90, etc.). I am truly curious as what is max potential of N57 engine as they come in tri-turbo set up in EU (N57S).

What tune would recommend for reducing carbon build up? I would like to keep all stock items, but just reduce possibility of carbon build up. Can Bob do "off road tune" where EGR is disabled, yet everything else is in place? If so, would that result in anything else being negatively affected? Would I still get to keep urea tanks and them actually being used?

What I am after: extend reliability without going stinky or smoky. Car is daily driver. I don't want to mess with emission components unless abs need to.

Would reduction of EGR to 10% would yield similar results in carbon build up reduction as completely disabling it?

Keep up the good work!
I second this request and would like it to show as "ready" on the OBD scanner. So reduced or "cut off" EGR that shows as ready. (I am in Cali)...
Same here with the " coding " id like to have a ready option when the obd is plugged when I go for emission testing just like the cumin/power stroke guys . I'm in NJ . I would gladly do a full delete on my f15 35d with a stage 2 tune
      09-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #26
weareweird69
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d

Also in for F15 Delete options... When, not if, the time comes and I have to replace the whole emissions system, id rather remove it instead of polluting the environment in other ways, that are equally as bad. (read as 6 one way, half dozen the other)... lol
      09-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #27
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

This is what Phil@BPC replied in the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@BPC View Post
Here is what I've been able to gather. Bob is still swamped trying to catch up from all the tunes and assisting others but I still wanted to give you at least something. From what we have seen so far personally with the N57's there hasn't been much of an issue with carbon buildup compared to the M57's. The N57 is still relatively new on the block and not many have really explored its potential or even driven it enough to see what issues lie underneath it.

We wouldn't recommend going with a tune and keeping all stock emission components on the vehicle. It can cause issues with the DPF/ SCR system.

I was told that for better details it would be best to contact us directly at service@bimmerperformancecenter.com or (919) 501-2090.

I guess this somewhat makes sense as there will be higher soot etc. thus higher number of regens etc. and higher wear on the emission components.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #28
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Bob@BPC

Keep up the good work!
BPC does not give discounts... I think you can get that out of your head lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdoc View Post
I second this request and would like it to show as "ready" on the OBD scanner. So reduced or "cut off" EGR that shows as ready. (I am in Cali)...
If you only want to remove the EGR Components you will need to remove the EGR Cooler and Valve/Actuator and replace the coolant line that's attached to the EGR cooler (very simple and accessible). To remove these components you will need to remove the intake air manifold, the cowl fan and install the above block of plates in addition to getting the ECU Flash-delete - I recommend going through Malone for the Tune, they can do overnight shipping both ways. Just as a side Note: After the EGR system is removed you will increase the chances of the DPF plugging should you not give the car enough time for regeneration.

Here is a link to the Deletes and Tunes: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post23586297

Last edited by MrTookies; 09-10-2018 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #29
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what Phil@BPC replied in the other thread:

I guess this somewhat makes sense as there will be higher soot etc. thus higher number of regens etc. and higher wear on the emission components.
My Air intake / Manifold at 100k... with everything Stock. This stuff works wonders on the intake manifold... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Last edited by MrTookies; 09-10-2018 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: Added Amazon Link
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #30
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My Air intake / Manifold at 100k... with everything Stock. This stuff works wonders on the intake manifold... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's bad, but it's not as bad. There are pictures of n54 and m57 at 30-50k that look way worse than that.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #31
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My Air intake / Manifold at 100k... with everything Stock. This stuff works wonders on the intake manifold... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
That's bad, but it's not as bad. There are pictures of n54 and m57 at 30-50k that look way worse than that.
I understand, and know ;-), though this is plenty enough to throw codes and give you a drive train malfunction... lol
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #32
weareweird69
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d

Thats pretty bad....

Ive seen 6.4 Ford Powerstrokes with their intakes choked down from 4-5" down to 2"...
      11-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #33
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Reviving an old thread as this one (at least in original topic) seemed most relevant.

Bob & BPC Team! Picked up an F15 X5d for the wife earlier this year. She doesn't want to go full Stage II+ like we did on the E90's M57, but I've been itching to get it down to you guys for Stage I.

Wifey is high risk...
1. How are you guys fairing the Covid era? (a) Staying Busy? (b) Taking precautions?
2. How long does the process typically take (sans-dyno)?...long wait if I hang out outdoors while you do your thing?

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #34
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Reviving an old thread as this one (at least in original topic) seemed most relevant.

Bob & BPC Team! Picked up an F15 X5d for the wife earlier this year. She doesn't want to go full Stage II+ like we did on the E90's M57, but I've been itching to get it down to you guys for Stage I.

Wifey is high risk...
1. How are you guys fairing the Covid era? (a) Staying Busy? (b) Taking precautions?
2. How long does the process typically take (sans-dyno)?...long wait if I hang out outdoors while you do your thing?
BPC no longer does tunes. Bob opened his shop stagefp . com

I have been in touch with stagefp about the tune. They told me that they can't do flash on N57 via handheld. Options currently available are: 1. bring in your car to them 2. ship them your ECU. If you decide to ship it, they have a turnaround of about 1 day. So, add shipping back and forth, ECU would be in out of your car between 3-7 day depending on shipping etc.

Malone also offers tunes for N57. When I compared Malone to StageFP, Malone is bit more expensive, but have a bigger dealer network so you can take your car in to some local shop to put on your tune. Malone also offers handheld option for a fee (i think it's extra $300?).

Comparing (non delete) tunes between these two companies, it seems like StageFP is calling their tune Stage 1 ($650) what malone calls Stage 2(~$800). So, you get more power for your money from Stage (Bob).

Quote:
It takes several hours. You have the initial read of data. That takes up to 40 min. Then you have to email the file to the tuner to make adjustments. Depending if they are expecting you, how busy they are, etc. that can take from 20 to 60 min. Then you have to load the data onto the car - about 20 min.

So all in all, you are looking at about 4 hours if not more. That's why having a handheld flashing tool is easier as you can do all this at your convenience over several days.

Last edited by W37V; 11-03-2020 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0