BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport 6MT

Not sure what I like more, the cars or the place the pictures were taken at... :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

1 - they've managed to make the cockpit more intimate. Not a bad thing
2 - side M badges are puny.. still don't look like they belong
3 - the nomenclature badging at the back are gigantic....
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #25
pt9507
M3 of the month(05/13)
Canada
Rep
Drives: BW E92 M3

OMG that E70 is from BC?

Akrapovic | AC Schnitzer | Brembo | BMW Performance | Dinan | Exotics | iND
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #26
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

These photos make me really appreciate the older model that much more. This is not a progression nor an evolution. They've done a great job of neutering the big dog.
      09-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #27
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Btw, I wonder if they can fit a few more alphanumeric combos in there.
Attached Images

09-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #28
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

The previous generation had harder, more sharp and masculine lines to the design. This new iteration seems curvier, soft and more feminine as it if were conceptualized to be more appealing to the female market (i.e. Soccer Moms).

And that X5///M50d model designation seems a bit unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #29
civilojk
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 328i & 14' F15 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarix View Post
Gorgeous! I currently own an E70 and I really can't understand how the new F15 is viewed by some as ugly compared to the old car. To me, it's quite the contrary: I find the new F15 a great improvement inside and especially outside
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #30
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

RWD sport wagons are popular here in Houston where it almost never snows.
      09-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #31
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

IMHO, new X5 has more effeminate lines like X3. Don't care for it in the least. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #32
XZeb
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Thanks for the best comparison pics so far. New car is looking better but - sorry about sounding like a broken record here - the E70 just looks perfectly proportioned - a design classic. The new one looks like it's trying hard - nice from some angles from the front sometimes - but unfortunately its just plain wrong in too many places. Very easy to see and hard for me to understand how others are starting to rave about how good it looks.

Also - (repeating myself again sorry) but disagree that the interior is "way better". There's not really much difference in feel and I prefer the old glove box and screen set up. Double stitch lines look good but these and the curvy kind of line stitched on some versions I've seen could easily look dated soon.

Also - don't agree this is an LCI which some recent comments have reckoned. It's far too different externally IMO. LCI usually looks better. I could draw up something more exciting and contemporary which is a nice progression from the E70 myself even though im not a great artist or designer. Still baffles me how they totally screwed this up.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #33
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZeb View Post
Also - (repeating myself again sorry) but disagree that the interior is "way better". There's not really much difference in feel and I prefer the old glove box and screen set up. Double stitch lines look good but these and the curvy kind of line stitched on some versions I've seen could easily look dated soon.
Sorry, but disagree. The F15 interior is indeed much better than the E70 interior. The others in attendance at this event echoed this opinion. It's better both in actual feel (fit, finish, quality) and in looks. It's hands down the best aspect of the F15.

The new multi-level design looks fantasic, as well, it's much more dynamic and interesting than the E70 interior. And the "3 layered decor scheme" (which BMW describes beginning at 11:18 in the presentation video) was implemented very well in the new X5.

This is not an interior that will be dated soon and is in my opinion very forward looking.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #34
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Sorry, but disagree. The F15 interior is indeed much better than the E70 interior. The others in attendance at this event echoed this opinion. It's better both in actual feel (fit, finish, quality) and in looks. It's hands down the best aspect of the F15.

The new multi-level design looks fantasic, as well, it's much more dynamic and interesting than the E70 interior. And the "3 layered decor scheme" (which BMW describes beginning at 11:18 in the presentation video) was implemented very well in the new X5.

This is not an interior that will be dated soon and is in my opinion very forward looking.
Completely agree. The nappa versions mocha and ivory look fantastic. They really pulled off a great upgrade on the look.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #35
XZeb
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Trust you know better having seen it in person and no doubt knowing the existing one well. I'm basing it on the views from the configurator which didn't seem to give me much of a sense of a different feel from the old configurator views which gave a fairly accurate depiction of the real thing. I'll come back with an honest opinion when I get a chance to see in the flesh.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #36
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZeb View Post
Trust you know better having seen it in person and no doubt knowing the existing one well. I'm basing it on the views from the configurator which didn't seem to give me much of a sense of a different feel from the old configurator views which gave a fairly accurate depiction of the real thing. I'll come back with an honest opinion when I get a chance to see in the flesh.
The configurator are digitally rendered versions of the interior. Much better to rely on real life photos, such as these: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887956

I'll also have another set of our own photos from the drive event posted up soon. That should give you even more views. They will be much more realistic and convincing than the online configurator looks.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #37
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
Some thoughts on the interior:
  • There appears to be more room for knees where the console curves up to meet the dash, compared to the E70. Nice for long-legged people and/or when the seats are moved up to accommodate rear passengers.
  • It looks like they could mimic the curved console-to-dash trim bits in the 6 series for the X6, if desired. The bean counters might not allow it, and the X6 might end up with grab handles again, but a curved piece could really enhance the coupe idea, and tie it to the 6 line.
  • The HVAC displays look nicer than on the E70, but the pixels are still evident and it looks cheap. It's a minor nitpick to some, but in this day and age I can't stand seeing pixels on any display. See below for more on how BMW is behind the curve on displays and controls.
  • I hope that they have added some more padding in spots, for example the arm rests. Maybe my E70 is an anomaly, but it feels like there is little or no padding, and it's not comfortable to rest my elbows on. I'd be happy to pay extra for a 1/2 inch or so of decent padding!
  • I have the "comfort" or multi-contour seats and love them, but my wife says that they are terrible compared to her Lexus RX. I've been driving BMWs and other German cars for years, so firm seats don't bother me, but I can see where some would find them uncomfortable. The new base seats are said to be improved, and it will be interesting to see how the seat types compare.
  • The way that the dash meets up to the door is improved, but BMW doesn't seem to really understand how to do that elegantly. Again, a minor nit, but it would be nice if they could "flow" the interior a bit better.
  • The traditional glovebox may be less novel, but at least there won't be an ugly gap in the dash with metal bits peeking through! I'm sure many E70 owners have never noticed this, and probably haven't noticed all of the hardware visible between the seat and center console. It would be nicer if they'd include some trim bits to hide this sort of thing.
  • The lower interior panel plastic/vinyl/whatever looks nicer in the pictures, and hopefully they've improved it over the graininess in the E70. When they are on the dealer lots a few closeups with cellphone cameras will reveal a lot more than the professional pictures.
  • The steering wheel pad looks to be using the same nasty grainy plastic as on the E70. This looks especially bad when the steering wheel is covered in the smoother leathers, and with the leather dash.
  • None of the pictures I've found show what material is used on the sun visors, but I really hope they return to using the same as on the roof, uprights, etc. My 2011 E70 has plastic/vinyl/whatever sun visors that look like something out of a rental car. Hell, most of the rental cars I've been in lately have better sun visors!
  • The windows appear to be identical to the E70, with the exception that the rear quarter "Hofmeister Kink" may have been reshaped a bit. This is good as it preserves the outward visibility. If it's not quite like a Range Rover, it's far better than the slot-like side windows that too many vehicles have adopted.
  • The gauge cluster is nicer than the E70 by a long shot, but I wish BMW would get on with full LED displays. Even some cheap cars now have displays between the gauges, but you can see that BMW is still using old-fashioned warning light cutouts. That's cheesy, cheap, and low-rent, BMW, and you can do better.
  • Overall I like it, and think it's far better than the E70. However, I also think that it's a mediocre effort for 2014, and there is no way that this is going to look good for the 7 year product cycle. They'll likely need an extreme makeover for the LCI as the rest of the world is already moving on to full "glass" dashes and the like.
I'll likely be in the market in late 2014 for something new, and the F15 is currently at the top of my list, but I'll certainly test drive the Cayenne, Q7, Touareg, and maybe even the Grand Cherokee for comparison. If the Tesla Model X is out I'll likely look at that as well. Let's hope that BMW did enough to keep the X5 competitive!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #38
The_Wood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Really liking the new interior. I didn't like the exterior for a while but I'm sold now. I really wish they'd release the M50d in the US
Appreciate 0