BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

First X5M - Ex F80 M3 Owner Impression

Hello X5M and X6M owners. I have a confession to make, I'm a BMW addict.

List of BMWs owned in the last 5yrs:
  • F80 - Mineral Grey
  • F06 - Imola Red
  • F02 - Black Sapphire Metallic
  • E70 - Mineral White
  • F10 - Jet Black
  • E70 - Space Grey
  • E90 - Mineral White

Prior to BMWs, I've owned everything Infiniti FX35 to 350z to Acura TL to Benz C-Class to EVO IX. Those non-BMWs were great cars, but it lacked something that only a BMW can give. I fell in love with my first BMW when I owned a CPO E90 330i. The way it drove was like nothing I've owned before. The BMW was very balanced, the engine spoke to me, and the brakes were so responsive. From then, I knew that I would only have a BMW in my garage. I won't be able to have all the BMW in life (at once), but I will do my best to try them all over time.

Here is my latest collection. F85 / Donington Grey / Mugello Red Full Merino Leather / 21inch Wheels / Exec Package / Driver Assist / Parking Assist / B&O / Enhanced BT.

Coming from an F80 M3, I'm extremely happy with the way the F85 accelerates (even before the 1,200 service / limited power), brakes, and the way it handles. I'm shocked how well the car stays flat through corners and refused to let go entering the apex. Understeer is minor, but it's extremely predictable and the throttle is very responsive when put in the right gear. Coming from a snappy 7spd DCT, this 8spd slush box isn't slushy at all. The gear shifts very crispy and snappy on command. This car would give the M3/M4 guys a run for their money on the straight track, I'm excited to see the mods that soon to be released for the car. This would be an unstoppable beast with a nice tune/DPs.

The car looks stunning, the chrome pieces bother me which I will fix very soon. The interior feels/looks more luxurious than my 2012 750Li. The B&O system is a gem, hits every note, and every instrument can be heard with precision. This is my first B&O system and I don't know that I would buy another BMW w/o B&O now (Yes, I consider myself an audiophile). The best part is, it is practical. I was able to fit 2 road bikes with the seats folded down.

The bad: Fuel Economy. However, since it's an SUV it dodge the fuel guzzler tax which I'm very happy with.

Overall: The X5M is the most practical, luxurious, and fun-to-drive SAV money can buy. Coming from an M3, the only thing I'll miss would be the track weekends. I know these are made to track too, but it's simply way too heavy no matter how you slice it. It can keep up with some road going cars on the track, but you'll be upset when the tire bill comes (these would likely chew through a set of tires per track weekend). Just drop $15k for a used reliable BMW track car and a trailer to fill that gap if that's what you're into.

This will tow my future dedicated track car + set of wheels/tires. TBA

Oh, I was washing her over the weekend, a guy with a grey modded GTR gave me a thumb up. Hope you enjoy the photos.
Attached Images

07-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Congrats...looks amazing !. Can you show some more pics of the Red interior as close as possible ?
      07-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy View Post
Congrats...looks amazing !. Can you show some more pics of the Red interior as close as possible ?
Thanks, here you go. Lighting is terrible and I'm using my iPhone.
Attached Images

07-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
SNAGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol
Here is my latest collection. F85 / Donington Grey / Mugello Red Full Merino Leather / 21inch Wheels / Exec Package / Driver Assist / Parking Assist / B&O / Enhanced BT.
You've got everything I've got except I went for the Carbon Black and didn't take the Enhanced BT

Quote:
Coming from an F80 M3, I'm extremely happy with the way the F85 accelerates (even before the 1,200 service / limited power), brakes, and the way it handles. I'm shocked how well the car stays flat through corners and refused to let go entering the apex. Understeer is minor, but it's extremely predictable and the throttle is very responsive when put in the right gear. Coming from a snappy 7spd DCT, this 8spd slush box isn't slushy at all. The gear shifts very crispy and snappy on command. This car would give the M3/M4 guys a run for their money on the straight track, I'm excited to see the mods that soon to be released for the car. This would be an unstoppable beast with a nice tune/DPs.
I am passed my initial M service and I've got to say you are absolutely right during the break-in period. BUT just wait until you can let it go. The power is amazing, I've got my M1 programed to Sport Plus and Driving Program 3. You can be at 90MPH before you ever know it and it's effortless.

Quote:
The B&O system is a gem, hits every note, and every instrument can be heard with precision. This is my first B&O system and I don't know that I would buy another BMW w/o B&O now (Yes, I consider myself an audiophile).
Finally someone that is not "bashing" the B&O system. Listening to audio is very subjective and personal preferences and both myself and my partner are very much in love with this system.

Quote:
The best part is, it is practical. I was able to fit 2 road bikes with the seats folded down.
I haven't tried to get two road bikes in mine yet, just haven't had the need or chance to but yes there is lots of room. I sure hope someone comes up with a "hidden hitch" system soon for the F85 as that is the preferred route i wold like to go if it's possible as I would like to travel for a long weekend with two bikes and other necessities that two people would need without stacking on top of luggage.

Quote:
The bad: Fuel Economy. However, since it's an SUV it dodge the fuel guzzler tax which I'm very happy with.
It's a high performance engine and didn't expect anything less. I'm sure if I ran "efficient driving" mode all the time then the MPG's would be better, but then it would not be as much fun to drive.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
carri0n m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5M

great review; I'm coming from a m4 convertible and actually really excited to get the x5m; I got the same build except didnt bother with the stereo.
      07-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShErM m3
great review; I'm coming from a m4 convertible and actually really excited to get the x5m; I got the same build except didnt bother with the stereo.
Awesome, congrats. The X5M offers best of both worlds. The HK system is sufficient. If I've never owned B&O (first car with it), I wouldn't know any better. Although B&O is good, it still can't touch Acura's RLX ELS or the Krell sound package. Go to an Acura dealer, bring a CD, and listen to it. It's an experience.

Get exhaust for the $3700 instead.

Last edited by JNoSol; 07-14-2015 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F80/E90/E30 M3s+1M+Boss 302

Congrats on the car.

I also came from the same car, F80 M3.

This was my thread when I got my M3

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=976284

Before the M3, I had an M6 with the same engine, then went to the M3 and the S55 engine and now back to the X5M.

Power is deceiving in this big beast. It sounds better at startup, but somehow I miss the rattly sound but not the startup of the M3. Also, the toss-ability of the M3 was nice to have, however, this car sticks given its weight. I guess BMW played with Physics.

I just needed a bigger car and this is why I got the X5M.

I also got the Donington grey but with Argon Grey. Will post pics later.

Agree on the interior quality and Alcantara roof plus B&O.

I just need to get downpipes and a tune. My M3 had both and that was just fantastic.

Will do some V BOX runs later.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

uae247 Congrats as well. Agreed, a tune + DPs for the X5M would put this car in another league. As for rasp, I think GTHAUS will offer their exhaust soon. I wonder what tunes will be available that will support DPs? iND is figuring this out right now looks like.

Since the F85/F86 use a different transmission from the M5/M6/E70 and E71 X5/X6M, it might be awhile for a tune to come out.
      07-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #9
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

I believe a tune is already available from ESS, but you will need to ship them the ECU.

Dunno about the exhaust, will try a downpipe first to see.

I promised myself not to mod with this car......

I wish there is a tune or switch to make it rwd at will, say when you want to drift. The car already does so when you disable DSC, but only for a small angle.

Also,
I want a way to enable transmission creep when in D, cause it uses the parking brake to keep it still and when you stomp on it, it takes a bit of time before it moves.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uae247 View Post
I believe a tune is already available from ESS, but you will need to ship them the ECU.

Dunno about the exhaust, will try a downpipe first to see.

I promised myself not to mod with this car......

I wish there is a tune or switch to make it rwd at will, say when you want to drift. The car already does so when you disable DSC, but only for a small angle.

Also,
I want a way to enable transmission creep when in D, cause it uses the parking brake to keep it still and when you stomp on it, it takes a bit of time before it moves.
I confirmed with ESS, the tune is available for $1,795. You'll have to send the ECU in. DPs on the X5M would be sick, the turbos would sing.
      07-24-2015, 09:59 PM   #11
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Personally, not the biggest fan of Mugello red interior, but I must say that it pairs well with the carbon fiber trim very well!
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #12
dr.waxman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

How can you not like the Mugello Red interior?
You must be the first on this site who has said that!
All the interiors are beautiful colours.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #13
uae247
Second Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I confirmed with ESS, the tune is available for $1,795. You'll have to send the ECU in. DPs on the X5M would be sick, the turbos would sing.
I need a writeup on how to open the ECU in order to ship it out to ESS.

Can't wait for the Downpipe either.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:02 AM   #14
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.waxman View Post
How can you not like the Mugello Red interior?
You must be the first on this site who has said that!
All the interiors are beautiful colours.
I've always been very conservative with car upholstery color choices; I prefer black leather the best. I'd rather buy a Melbourne Red X5M than have Mugello red interior
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:56 AM   #15
dr.waxman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
I've always been very conservative with car upholstery color choices; I prefer black leather the best. I'd rather buy a Melbourne Red X5M than have Mugello red interior
Ummmm...now Melbourne Red X5M over black leather...now that's a thought.
Every combination works
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #16
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
You can ease up into Megellow like I did. I always had tan/brown/black interior. My M3 was mineral grey metallic with Silverstone interior. The red and black scheme makes the car feel a bit more like a well tailored Italian suit.

Silverstone requires a bit more upkeep with nieces/nephews riding along once a week. I like the Mugello even more now that it survived a hot chocolate spill this weekend (note to self, never let kids bring hot chocolate in the car ever again).

Every car I get from BMW, I apply BMW's leather conditioner/protectant and vinyl protectant the first day of ownership. I think if I didn't apply the leather conditioner, that hot chocolate would've seep right through.

My OCD paid off..

journeyguy Unedited photos of the interior attached. I will use my Canon soon. The iPhone images do no justice for how deep and beautiful the color is.
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 07-27-2015 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #17
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I wish BMW does a better job of sending samples of all M colors as soon the new colors are out. I went to three dealers and none have the new exterior or interior M colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
You can ease up into Megellow like I did. I always had tan/brown/black interior. My M3 was mineral grey metallic with Silverstone interior. The red and black scheme makes the car feel a bit more like a well tailored Italian suit.

Silverstone requires a bit more upkeep with nieces/nephews riding along once a week. I like the Mugello even more now that it survived a hot chocolate spill this weekend (note to self, never let kids bring hot chocolate in the car ever again).

Every car I get from BMW, I apply BMW's leather conditioner/protectant and vinyl protectant the first day of ownership. I think if I didn't apply the leather conditioner, that hot chocolate would've seep right through.

My OCD paid off..

journeyguy Unedited photos of the interior attached. I will use my Canon soon. The iPhone images do no justice for how deep and beautiful the color is.