BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Long term storage/suspension sag

Having had my '02 m5 as a daily beater since '09, I've seen what the road salt and crap does to it, so I've kept the m5 as a daily beater and parked the f85 for the winter. It's been parked since the end of November and I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the rear was low. I'm assuming this would happen over time since the car hasn't been started and the suspension system hasn't been charged since then. Should I start the car to get the suspension pumped up? Should I place the car on jackstands so that they support the car once it starts to sag a big? Or just leave it alone until I start driving it regularly?

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Parked the F85 for the winter? I've had mine since 2016 and it has seen a lot of salt but I don't have any damage to the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:28 PM   #3
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

No issues with mine in the winter. Put some winter rims and tires on it an have fun, that's why I got mine. I park my M3 for the winter and start it up every few weeks and let it run for 30 minutes or so to keep the fluids flowing and the battery fresh, I would recommend the same for your f85. Even do a little road driving it the conditions are to your liking.
      02-02-2020, 04:36 AM   #4
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I wouldn't have thought you have a major leak but maybe just natural leakage through the air system. If it's completely down after 8 weeks I would say maybe a small leak above natural leakage. Mine will sit for 4 weeks and doesn't drop but I've never left it for 8 weeks.

I would start it up to refill the bags and maybe spray some soapy water on the bags and see if you can see bubbles forming as I would suggest it has the start of perishing. Leaving leaky bags is a false economy as the compressor works overtime and you still have to replace them but possibly the compressor too.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 06:17 AM   #5
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

I realized i left the window cracked when I parked it because I just washed it, so either when I opened the door or pressed the start button to turn the electric on, I heard a small pump go off and watched the rear of the car go up, so no need to start the engine. Will keep an eye on it to see how fast it sags again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCollection View Post
I wouldn't have thought you have a major leak but maybe just natural leakage through the air system. If it's completely down after 8 weeks I would say maybe a small leak above natural leakage. Mine will sit for 4 weeks and doesn't drop but I've never left it for 8 weeks.

I would start it up to refill the bags and maybe spray some soapy water on the bags and see if you can see bubbles forming as I would suggest it has the start of perishing. Leaving leaky bags is a false economy as the compressor works overtime and you still have to replace them but possibly the compressor too.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
Yuille36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Yes, if you plan on starting up your stored vehicle, bring the engine up to operating temperature before shutting it off. That way, you can burn off any moisture that has developed inside the engine. And parts/seals will be well lubricated. And after a first few seconds your suspension should start to raise up.
Appreciate 0