BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #1
cnebrask
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Coilover install question

Does anyone know if you have to remove the rear air bags to install say the KW V3 spring and damper? Haven't been able to find any good instructions or a DIY online anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

I am not an expert, just know enough to be dangerous...

The air bags remain (100% sure). The kit includes links which serve to keep the bags under-inflated to your desired height. I might have worded this improperly but I know the links are what allow for the lowered ride height. Kit includes rear strut but OEM spring is used.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
cnebrask
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
I am not an expert, just know enough to be dangerous...

The air bags remain (100% sure). The kit includes links which serve to keep the bags under-inflated to your desired height. I might have worded this improperly but I know the links are what allow for the lowered ride height. Kit includes rear strut but OEM spring is used.
I'm pretty sure you are right, and what i had originally thought until i called a local bmw indy shop to get a quote - they told me they would charge $2k to do the install because the had to remove and mess with the airbags. I'm like hmmm, i don't think that's right.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

I had a wide range from indy shops, $700ish to $1400ish. I cannot remember if those included an alignment or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

the rear airbags are still in use with the kw v3 you just get shorter links which lower the rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 05:11 AM   #6
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

The rates you guys are getting quoted is ridiculous. We swapped mine in about 2 hours without even trying to rush.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      02-08-2020, 06:08 AM   #7
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
The rates you guys are getting quoted is ridiculous. We swapped mine in about 2 hours without even trying to rush.
It truly is but you know how shop politics are... guy comes in with a high end vehicle he's paying premium prices. Although it's not something I agree with I do understand to some degree but most of these shops are a little out of control smh.
      02-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
the rear airbags are still in use with the kw v3 you just get shorter links which lower the rear.
Does that put extra stress on the bags?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
It truly is but you know how shop politics are... guy comes in with a high end vehicle he's paying premium prices. Although it's not something I agree with I do understand to some degree but most of these shops are a little out of control smh.
So here is some context. The shop I go to only services German vehicles. The guy I work with has a RS7 with a Stage 2 Tune. When I had them install my intake, they charged me next to nothing for the initial install. It started throwing a CEL and I took it back to the shop and they troubleshot it for a bit and then replaced my factory air box. No charge. They also bed my brakes and said they would re-tune my car to any of the BM3 OTS tunes free of charge. I told them I wanted to change diff fluid and they checked it and told me to wait.

Now they definitely have a specialty of working on M3s and this ride is obviously different but I really do not think they are taking advantage of me, generally speaking and on the KW install specifically.

All this to say, I do wonder myself why they would quote me 6-8 hours of shop time is Vettepro can do it in two hours. Something seems off there.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #10
cnebrask
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
Do you have to touch the bags at all, or you just swap the spring+shock+links?

I'll probably just end up doing it myself. I swapped the coils on my M5 in like 4 hours - The air bag stories of them deflating after coilover installs just had me nervous and couldn't find any info on the install so just thought i would ask. Appreciate the info!

*Edit - just pulled one of the rear wheels, answered all my questions, thanks again! Looks like rear you are just swapping the strut and replacing the end links. Don't have to mess with the bags at all.

Last edited by cnebrask; 02-10-2020 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #11
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnebrask View Post
I'm pretty sure you are right, and what i had originally thought until i called a local bmw indy shop to get a quote - they told me they would charge $2k to do the install because the had to remove and mess with the airbags. I'm like hmmm, i don't think that's right.
Christ. Takes like 20-30 minutes pre corner to do this install for someone experienced. 2k????????? Lift the car, drop on stands, remove the wheels, drop the suspension, (consists of removing maybe a few bolts) pull out the CO, reinstall new bolt it back up. No wonder my 2 buddies growing up that had fathers in the Auto repair business lived in houses large enough to warrant elevators. Literally. If this takes a mech 2 hours they are getting $1,000 per hour? Takes a shitty mechanic an hour per corner than 500 per hour? Robbery. you can do this install with zero experience, especially since you're not swapping springs. The bolt in the upper control arm is fussy, it freezes in the bolt cylinder and will need to be knocked out.. spray that with pen oil today and do this on the weekend. An air tool would make shor work of pressing that out.

Shops suck for doing this. This should cost $500 max with an alignment from a boutique tuner shop and should take 2-3 hours to complete for the most junior guy in the shop.

Tell them you expect to pay no more than $500 as this should take a monkey 2-3 hours. Suspension and brake work takes no time to do and it's the type of work these shops LOVE.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
Does that put extra stress on the bags?
i'm not sure if lowering add more stress. if anything, it may add more harshness as no you have less travel range. but the kw has manual dampning settings you can adjust.
Appreciate 0