BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2020, 11:41 PM   #1
hatmandew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Coil overs

Question please. Was wanting to lower my 2016 X5M this spring. Thinking coil overs. But can I do coil overs only in the front and use the air suspension adjusted lower in the back? Or do I need coil overs on the front and back? Confused. Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 03:12 AM   #2
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I'm not a modding guy as I like stock but I've driven X5's with low air is rear suspension and they drive badly. Also think you will damage the bags but as I said I've never done this mod and I'm sure someone with a load more experience will be along soon
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 06:12 AM   #3
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

All of the suspension kits whether just lowering springs or coilovers lower the rear by replacing the stock linkage to the height sensor with a different length to trick the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatmandew View Post
Question please. Was wanting to lower my 2016 X5M this spring. Thinking coil overs. But can I do coil overs only in the front and use the air suspension adjusted lower in the back? Or do I need coil overs on the front and back? Confused. Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
hatmandew
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
All of the suspension kits whether just lowering springs or coilovers lower the rear by replacing the stock linkage to the height sensor with a different length to trick the system.

Quote:
I had a 2011 X5M and had the H&R springs and that came with an height adaptor for the rear air bags. I am wondering if can use the coil overs on the front only and that same height adaptor again for the bags.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Look at what comes with a KW kit...coilovers for the front, dampers for the rear, and adjustable linkages for the rear ride height

Quote:
I had a 2011 X5M and had the H&R springs and that came with an height adaptor for the rear air bags. I am wondering if can use the coil overs on the front only and that same height adaptor again for the bags.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
hatmandew
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
Look at what comes with a KW kit...coilovers for the front, dampers for the rear, and adjustable linkages for the rear ride height

Quote:
Perfect. You answered my question. Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
JOHN ///M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I have a set if your interested. Was on the car for about 5k miles and car got totaled due to hydrolock. Let me know. I will add pictures on my for sale threat tomorrow.
'12 MW E92 M3 I Piano Black Trim I Vorsteiner Aero Front Lip I Varis Rear Diffuser I Varis Rear Skirt I Platte Forme Side Skirt I Ohlin's Road and Track Coilover I Akrapovic GT4 X-pipe I Akrapovic Slip I ESS Tuning I Brembos Brakes I Euro Front Bumper I BBS Limited Black Edition Lugs/Locks I Macht Schnell Studs I BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler I BMW Performance Grills/Gills I BMW Performance Seats I Rogue Short Shifter I BBS FI
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #8
alpha_x5m
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN ///M View Post
I have a set if your interested. Was on the car for about 5k miles and car got totaled due to hydrolock. Let me know. I will add pictures on my for sale threat tomorrow.
I'm interested. DM me
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 03:48 AM   #9
Phara
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85 2018

Installed H&R springs for two weeks, shitty feeling. Would say suspension stopped working.
Installed KW after. It's a paradise. Highly recommended
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phara View Post
Installed H&R springs for two weeks, shitty feeling. Would say suspension stopped working.
Phara, I'm sure you've shared before but what is your drop and settings on the KWs? Plan to get mine installed in the next couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #11
hatmandew
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Quote:
Phara, I'm sure you've shared before but what is your drop and settings on the KWs? Plan to get mine installed in the next couple of weeks.
Quote:
Quote:
So I decided to do H&R coil over sleeves with Dinan bump stops. Will let everyone know my thoughts after they are installed this week.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:32 AM   #12
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quick install question. I was at 30" in the rear after about an hour of driving. A couple days later, 29.5". Should I be concerned about my air bags?

Edit: down to 28.5". Is it ok to drove if my bags are shot?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:18 AM   #13
hatmandew
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quick install question. I was at 30" in the rear after about an hour of driving. A couple days later, 29.5". Should I be concerned about my air bags?

It could be the bags are leaking or just a bad sensor. I would take it to the shop to get looked at.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #14
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It could be the bags are leaking or just a bad sensor. I would take it to the shop to get looked at.
Thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #15
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

How many miles? I relaxed both my bags at 49k
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #16
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

About 50k. I am probably due.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #17
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
If it is the bags don't leave it too long as the compressor will suffer, there only a plastic piston ring and will become tired quickly if overworked
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #18
hatmandew
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So I decided to do H&R coil over sleeves with Dinan bump stops. Will let everyone know my thoughts after they are installed this week.
So I just picked up my car with the H&R coil over sleeves. Looks amazing and drives like factory. My last X5M I only did the springs and had some bounce. These new coil over sleeves are amazing and a fraction of the price of KW. Very happy.
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #19
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

How low is it?

I just searched the H&R site but did not find this option. Suppose it doesn't matter since I won't be changing from my current setup lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #20
hatmandew
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How low is it?

I just searched the H&R site but did not find this option. Suppose it doesn't matter since I won't be changing from my current setup lol.
I lowered 2" front and 1.75 in rear. It was hard to find too much info on it but stumbled across them and then spoke with a rep at Modbargins and he also recommended them.
Appreciate 0