BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

10-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
eherceg
PChemist
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35d M sport

6WB digital cluster retrofit for '17 F15 - my experience

If you're considering upgrading your instrument cluster, here are my thoughts and experience.

I took delivery of my X5 in April '17. Today, I love everything about my X5, but initially it was not like that. There were few things that just bothered me. Most of them I fixed simply by coding the vehicle. In addition I installed RaceChip Ultimate, roof base support system, and some other stuff. But, the thing that bothered me the most was the instrument cluster. My car is pretty loaded and it came with the 6WA cluster. The half analog half digital display setup just didn't work for me. Not sure what BMW was thinking about when they designed this one. Either give me a nice looking full analog display or a full digital one.

So I decided to upgrade to full digital 6WB cluster. I've spent roughly 2 weeks searching for the best deal. Here are the places where you can find one: 1) Ebay, cost is ~$2500 (coding not included); 2) your local BMW dealership, cost is ~$2800 with no coding and installation included and ~$3200 with coding and installation included; and 3) Bimmer Tech, cost $2200 (coding included). Obviously, I decided to go with Bimmer Tech. Before ordering I had a ton of questions. I've dealt with Nelson and he was very responsive and answered all of them. After getting all the info I needed, I decided to pull the trigger and buy it. I got the part in 3 days. Installation was quite easy having in mind that I've never done it before. It took me 10-15 minutes to remove the old one and install new one. Now, I could probably do it in less time but first time I wanted to make sure I don't mess something up so I took my time. After this, I scheduled a coding session with Bimmer Tech technician. You do this online, pick your date and time, install some software from Bimmer Tech, connect via Skype at scheduled time and viola, they do the coding in less than 20 minutes. Awesome experience. My cluster looks great, works flawlessly and no issues at all since I installed it (almost 2 months ago).

The bottom line is that I would recommend upgrading and if you decide to do it, go with Bimmer Tech. This is your best option by far. Here is the link if you're interested:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...panel-retrofit
Attached Images

Last edited by eherceg; 10-24-2017 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 5
      10-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

My wife's 6-series has 6WB in her car, and although it's fun for 5 minutes, it not something I'd ever spend $3K on. If it "did" a bit more, for example like the new Audis, then maybe. But all 6WB does is just digitalize your gauges.
Appreciate 4
deutsch1003741.00
eherceg44.00
ergoyo90.50
TOPEC215.00
      10-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
eherceg
PChemist
Rep

I agree, it would be much better to have options like in Audi. The bottom line is that having these in the car is highly subjective, some people like it some don't. If I was able to choose a nice looking analog cluster, I'd stay with that one. Half analog half digital just didn't work for me. I personally like 6WB, but as I said, this is highly subjective.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003741.00
      10-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
My wife's 6-series has 6WB in her car, and although it's fun for 5 minutes, it not something I'd ever spend $3K on. If it "did" a bit more, for example like the new Audis, then maybe. But all 6WB does is just digitalize your gauges.
Please lets let the OP enjoy his project. We are all guilty of spending more than 3k on a lot of "fancy" things.

OP - I have seriously considered 6WB and a few other retrofits but never took the plunge. I have learnt that if something irks you from day 1, go ahead and fix/upgrade it, otherwise you will keep thinking about it, and do it 1-2 years down the line and have less time to enjoy it.

Agree with feedback about Bimmertech. Very professional folks.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 7
      10-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherceg View Post
I agree, it would be much better to have options like in Audi. The bottom line is that having these in the car is highly subjective, some people like it some don't. If I was able to choose a nice looking analog cluster, I'd stay with that one. Half analog half digital just didn't work for me. I personally like 6WB, but as I said, this is highly subjective.
Don't get me wrong, I certainly like it. But once my wife's 6-series had it, I was disappointed it didn't "do" more.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003741.00
eherceg44.00
      10-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
deutsch100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Wow, it looks great. Congrats! Cannot believe it was "so easy".

Now, I really wonder if anything electrical or "computer" related happens in your car, if BMW will right away blame it on this 6WB cluster that did not come with the car, when built? BMW is notorious for blaming anything and everything on something else!

On my last Rolls-Royce Phantom, BMW Group product (2014), I was having issues with the Infotainment screen. On The Phantom , the screen rotates to a beautiful wood or metal screen with a clock, when the car is shut off (unless you do this yourself, via a button, before turning the engine off). Mine would randomly, close and then re-open exposing the Infotainment screen instead of the wood and clock. Not always, but enough to irk me.

Want to know what BMW (Rolls-Royce) blamed on the issue?!?! Sitting down? A microfiber cleaning rag they found in my glove box. They said the static electricity from the microfiber material was causing this issue! I had used a MF cloth on my previous 2 Ghosts and 2012 Phantom and in three 7 Series and every other car I've driven. NO issue ever!

I might be in the minority, but I personally love the analog/digital instruments in the X5. Some might find the all analog "old fashioned", and I personally find all digital "kitschy" and a little bit of a novelty. The mixture the X5 comes with is awesome. Digital and somewhat customizable, but retains the classic BMW look of analog (that I love).

Just be careful, BMW will see this 6WB screen...and this will be like ca-ching for them!!! This will be the 'cause' of any problem you (hopefully do not) have!! But, it looks awesome

Last edited by deutsch100; 10-24-2017 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 3
P111541.50
eherceg44.00
1230vani637.00
      10-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
eherceg
PChemist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
Wow, it looks great. Congrats! Cannot believe it was "so easy".

Now, I really wonder if anything electrical or "computer" related happens in your car, if BMW will right away blame it on this 6WB cluster that did not come with the car, when built? BMW is notorious for blaming anything and everything on something else!

On my last Rolls-Royce Phantom, BMW Group product (2014), I was having issues with the Infotainment screen. On The Phantom , the screen rotates to a beautiful wood or metal screen with a clock, when the car is shut off (unless you do this yourself, via a button, before turning the engine off). Mine would randomly, close and then re-open exposing the Infotainment screen instead of the wood and clock. Not always, but enough to irk me.

Want to know what BMW (Rolls-Royce) blamed on the issue?!?! Sitting down? A microfiber cleaning rag they found in my glove box. They said the static electricity from the microfiber material was causing this issue! I had used a MF cloth on my previous 2 Ghosts and 2012 Phantom and in three 7 Series and every other car I've driven. NO issue ever!

I might be in the minority, but I personally love the analog/digital instruments in the X5. Some might find the all analog "old fashioned", and I personally find all digital "kitschy" and a little bit of a novelty. The mixture the X5 comes with is awesome. Digital and somewhat customizable, but retains the classic BMW look of analog (that I love).

Just be careful, BMW will see this 6WB screen...and this will be like ca-ching for them!!! This will be the 'cause' of any problem you (hopefully do not) have!! But, it looks awesome

Thanks deutsch100 for your comments. Trust me, I though about this since it's not the first time I'm modifying my car, so I have a contingency plan... I do coding myself also so before I swapped from 6WA to 6WB I backed up everything and kept the old cluster...so if anything goes south, I'm ready to put my vehicle in its factory condition. I hope for the best and that it doesn't happen, but I'll be ready for the worst.

Last edited by eherceg; 10-24-2017 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
deutsch1003741.00
      11-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Quote:
If you're considering upgrading your instrument cluster, here are my thoughts and experience.

I took delivery of my X5 in April '17. Today, I love everything about my X5, but initially it was not like that. There were few things that just bothered me. Most of them I fixed simply by coding the vehicle. In addition I installed RaceChip Ultimate, roof base support system, and some other stuff. But, the thing that bothered me the most was the instrument cluster. My car is pretty loaded and it came with the 6WA cluster. The half analog half digital display setup just didn't work for me. Not sure what BMW was thinking about when they designed this one. Either give me a nice looking full analog display or a full digital one.

So I decided to upgrade to full digital 6WB cluster. I've spent roughly 2 weeks searching for the best deal. Here are the places where you can find one: 1) Ebay, cost is ~$2500 (coding not included); 2) your local BMW dealership, cost is ~$2800 with no coding and installation included and ~$3200 with coding and installation included; and 3) Bimmer Tech, cost $2200 (coding included). Obviously, I decided to go with Bimmer Tech. Before ordering I had a ton of questions. I've dealt with Nelson and he was very responsive and answered all of them. After getting all the info I needed, I decided to pull the trigger and buy it. I got the part in 3 days. Installation was quite easy having in mind that I've never done it before. It took me 10-15 minutes to remove the old one and install new one. Now, I could probably do it in less time but first time I wanted to make sure I don't mess something up so I took my time. After this, I scheduled a coding session with Bimmer Tech technician. You do this online, pick your date and time, install some software from Bimmer Tech, connect via Skype at scheduled time and viola, they do the coding in less than 20 minutes. Awesome experience. My cluster looks great, works flawlessly and no issues at all since I installed it (almost 2 months ago).

The bottom line is that I would recommend upgrading and if you decide to do it, go with Bimmer Tech. This is your best option by far. Here is the link if you're interested:

Having just bought my x5d (oct 2014 build) I am modding as well. I am surprised that i cannot find many 6WA's avail in US or from a company like BimmerTech for middle of the road options. I want to do this, but am concerned about 1) the wiring from standard dash and 2) the coding. Any advice? Thoughts from members viewing this?

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
F80x
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90, 2015 F15, 2017 F87

if anyone is interested

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1456323
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Great and uselful post. I had 6WA in my 2014, wanted a change for 2017 and got 6WB, I do like it. I wonder whether 2018 models have a higher resolution 6WB? Does anyone know if part number is different? 3&4 series lates cluster is same design and shape BUT resolution is higher. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:

The back ground light of light blue look nicer. Finally, BMW let op have other color choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Also lose ability to code HUD turn signals.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

When you got the quote from the dealer did they mention if they would honor your existing warranty if they installed it?

I liked the 6WA in my '15 lease until I saw the 6WB and now that I bought a '17 I'm really considering it. I just can't get myself to spend that kind of money yet but maybe one day if the warranty is not impacted.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duped View Post
When you got the quote from the dealer did they mention if they would honor your existing warranty if they installed it?

I liked the 6WA in my '15 lease until I saw the 6WB and now that I bought a '17 I'm really considering it. I just can't get myself to spend that kind of money yet but maybe one day if the warranty is not impacted.
I did the 6WB retrofit on my build 2017 x5 and it's indeed awesome. I can't imagine how it would be a warranty issue. when coded properly, it's coded as if it was built that way from the factory. it is an OEM BMW part. there is no way to know it doesn't belong there and all functions exactly as it should because it's now coded that way and as if BMW built it that way in the factory.
      01-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #15
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

The VIN will tell you straight away it was not factory equipped.
Appreciate 1
Waoudi23.00
      01-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #16
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
you're probably right. if only the dealer knew the difference between a 6WA and 6WB. I guess the dealer could make the 6WB a scapegoat for a host of issues one may have done the line if they were set out to do so and knew you had changed the cluster.
      01-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #17
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
you're probably right. if only the dealer knew the difference between a 6WA and 6WB. I guess the dealer could make the 6WB a scapegoat for a host of issues one may have done the line if they were set out to do so and knew you had changed the cluster.
Well they don't come standard on any X5 in the US so I imagine they would know right away plus they know my car.
I'm going to seriously consider it after I get the MPE especially since my SA gives me great discounts.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #18
KDKE30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 M50D

Hello, I just saw that after 6wb retrofit for my f15, head up and instrument cluster do not show me navi tips. Of course, I have enabled these options in idrive. Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason? maybe something is wrongly coded? I have enet and esys cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #19
Googone20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5, 2007 M6

Can’t you just by a $500 used one on EBay and have it unlocked and coded by a capable person?
2005 Ninja 636 Lime Green
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #20
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googone20 View Post
Can’t you just by a $500 used one on EBay and have it unlocked and coded by a capable person?
You sure can
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #21
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googone20 View Post
I went the cheap route and installed the 6WA version instead of stock that always bugged me...
Anyhow, Koanga took car of the "virginization" and programmed my car once I installed it.
He did a good job, I recommend reaching out to him.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #22
stoske133
Private
Malta
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2015

I am planning to change a stock one to 6WA as well, the kmh version.

Is it coding a complicated thing? Is it something that I can do by my self or I need a specialist?

If yes who can you recommend?
Appreciate 0