BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #23
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

My 2018 F15 is booked into the stealers on the 30th for three days to sort a suspension problem and they'll also do a diagnostic report on the HUD so I'll update you if there's a fix.
      04-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #24
mikeson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 M package

When I start car after overnight parking, it comeback from very bottom.
I mean it flip down when car has been locked.
I guess yours is not flip back as it suppose to be.
Anyway, good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beganovic7 View Post
So this same thing happened to me 3 times in last 3 months, first 2 times it came back after couple hours once car was turned off and on, but this third time, it happened 3 days ago, and it still hasn't came back, so i went into details to try to figure it out. I came to realization that it actually never "disappeared" , but there is a glitch where hud was pushed way down(repositioned), so i go into the setting to adjust the position of hud, and raise it up to the "max" , but still it was way too low, literally could only see half of numbers showing the speedometer, when playing music i could see previous/next options as well. Now the main concer is why did this happen ? why did my hud randomly got pushed all the way down without abillity to bring it back up to normal hight where it was and worked perfectly, right now the highest hight setting is still way too low where i can barely see half of numbers, and i'm 6'5", even tried to reset the car to factory defaults( options-->delete all user data) and that didn't fix it, it is still there but way too low, so for people shorter then 6' it will look like that it's not working at all, but it actually is working, it's just super low, so far i have no idea how could this be fixed ?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #25
beganovic7
Rep
Drives: BMW x6 xdrive 35i 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dMSport+ View Post
My 2018 F15 is booked into the stealers on the 30th for three days to sort a suspension problem and they'll also do a diagnostic report on the HUD so I'll update you if there's a fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeson View Post
When I start car after overnight parking, it comeback from very bottom.
I mean it flip down when car has been locked.
I guess yours is not flip back as it suppose to be.
Anyway, good luck.
Just randomly turned car on yeserday, and HUD is back to normal position, it's weird, something must've triggered it, but gotta something bigger to worry about now, just got a nail in my rear RFT tire, and was planning anyways to replace all 4 with non-RFT continental extreme contact DWS 315/35ZR20 in the rear, but they are out of stock(on back order) everywhere, so gotta start looking for other options too.
Thanks for feedback guys, hopefully won't do it again
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #26
Regmo0513
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 i35 drive

HUD kept going out

My hud went out. I went to click to to turn it back on and it would just blink. I started the car again and it went back on. A few weeks later, my car would not start at all. Bmw now has my car and for a small price of 365.00 they are replacing my battery and telling me that is the issue. I guess we shall see.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:46 PM   #27
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Just randomly turned car on yeserday, and HUD is back to normal position, it's weird, something must've triggered it, but gotta something bigger to worry about now, just got a nail in my rear RFT tire, and was planning anyways to replace all 4 with non-RFT continental extreme contact DWS 315/35ZR20 in the rear, but they are out of stock(on back order) everywhere, so gotta start looking for other options too.
R u looking for the DWS or DWS 06? the former is discontinued. Also my HUD went out a couple of times as well, just shows "no signal" but usually letting the car sit for a while will bring it back. i just chalked it up as germen electronic gremlins.
      08-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #28
Lr15
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Any luck with fixing this? Happened to me too!!

Any luck with this? Having the same issue

Quote:
So this same thing happened to me 3 times in last 3 months, first 2 times it came back after couple hours once car was turned off and on, but this third time, it happened 3 days ago, and it still hasn't came back, so i went into details to try to figure it out. I came to realization that it actually never "disappeared" , but there is a glitch where hud was pushed way down(repositioned), so i go into the setting to adjust the position of hud, and raise it up to the "max" , but still it was way too low, literally could only see half of numbers showing the speedometer, when playing music i could see previous/next options as well. Now the main concer is why did this happen ? why did my hud randomly got pushed all the way down without abillity to bring it back up to normal hight where it was and worked perfectly, right now the highest hight setting is still way too low where i can barely see half of numbers, and i'm 6'5", even tried to reset the car to factory defaults( options-->delete all user data) and that didn't fix it, it is still there but way too low, so for people shorter then 6' it will look like that it's not working at all, but it actually is working, it's just super low, so far i have no idea how could this be fixed ?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #29
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

I’m 6’ 11” and had this problem on my E70. No issues on the F15.

Recommend having it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #30
bmwx5dgm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Hey, beganovic7 I'm seeing the same issue since 3 days now, have you figured it out yet? Is it the key batteries or profile issue? I had this issue once before, but it came back after overnight parking.

Also, my X5 is a CPO, would repair or replacement of HUD be covered under CPO? my SA is asking for $169 for diagnosis and then he said he will be able to tell me if its covered or not. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #31
bmwx5dgm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5dgm View Post
Hey, beganovic7 I'm seeing the same issue since 3 days now, have you figured it out yet? Is it the key batteries or profile issue? I had this issue once before, but it came back after overnight parking.

Also, my X5 is a CPO, would repair or replacement of HUD be covered under CPO? my SA is asking for $169 for diagnosis and then he said he will be able to tell me if its covered or not. Any suggestions?
Update ....
The issue got resolved on its own, when i parked the car for 5 min on a slope. But still got it replaced under CPO, as recommended by the new SA as it was a faulty HUD.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #32
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke I View Post
Careful with the fit and finish post replacement. I had a faulty HUD replaced years ago on a 550. They had to pull the dash out down to the consol. When I got the car back there were several misalignments and some damage.

My advice is that you notify them that you've been warned of this and you'll not tolerate such. This will at least encourage them to be careful.

D
Take photos of the car right before you take it in. Plenty of 'em. Make sure one of them contains the odometer reading. Send them to yourself in an email, so there's no argument as to when they were taken. When your car comes back in great shape, you can delete them and the email.

Paranoid? Not if you've endured a half-dozen cases of ham-handed techs effing-up your car like I have, through pure carelessness. I do my job, and I fix anything I screw up. It's fair that they do the same.

Last edited by pennsiveguy; 09-14-2019 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:51 AM   #33
ciske
Belgium
Rep
Drives: bmw x6 G06 40i

Hi guys, headup display from my Bmw x6 f16 suddenly was positioned too low, even with maximum height selected in settings. So I went looking for the fuses of the dashboard : fuse 50 + 52 (under the glove box left front of the X6). I removed both fuses and put them back : problem solved, headup display was in normal position again !
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #34
5HOUT
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtyres2001 View Post
Got in vehicle and hud wasn't working finished the 2 mile journey checked all the setting still not working turned ignition off left it 2 mins then turned it back on again and there it was all working again has anyone else had this problem
Yes, once about every 6-8 weeks. Corrects on next startup
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #35
kalW
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d

2016 BMW F15 here (X5 xDrive35d)

Over the 4 years I've own this vehicle (I'm the original owner) my HUD as well on very rare occasions has not come on. Turning the car off and back on has always worked from what I remember.

I had my vehicle in for brake work recently at a local (non-dealer) shop and also had them run a full diagnostic report as my 4 year warranty's almost done. It did come back that the following error has been logged:

1. KOMBI (Instrument Cluster)
1.1 B7F6E6 Head-Up Display (HUD): fault in the stepper motor
(Intermittent)

Spoke with the tech a bit and he mentioned it was a common problem. When the car starts up the stepper motor moves the HUD through full motion (top to bottom through 255 steps) to ensure it's able to move correctly and set the range of motion - a calibration if you will. If it's not able to do this for any reason it won't start the HUD and an error is logged.

Have a service booked with the dealer now to take a look. EDIT: Dealer will be replacing the entire HUD assembly under warranty. It's supposedly a $3600 CAD (~$2700 USD) part.

Kal

Last edited by kalW; 02-08-2020 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:19 PM   #36
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Subscribed. Will monitor for updates.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #37
kalW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalW View Post
2016 BMW F15 here (X5 xDrive35d)

Over the 4 years I've own this vehicle (I'm the original owner) my HUD as well on very rare occasions has not come on. Turning the car off and back on has always worked from what I remember.

I had my vehicle in for brake work recently at a local (non-dealer) shop and also had them run a full diagnostic report as my 4 year warranty's almost done. It did come back that the following error has been logged:

1. KOMBI (Instrument Cluster)
1.1 B7F6E6 Head-Up Display (HUD): fault in the stepper motor
(Intermittent)

Spoke with the tech a bit and he mentioned it was a common problem. When the car starts up the stepper motor moves the HUD through full motion (top to bottom through 255 steps) to ensure it's able to move correctly and set the range of motion - a calibration if you will. If it's not able to do this for any reason it won't start the HUD and an error is logged.

Have a service booked with the dealer now to take a look. EDIT: Dealer will be replacing the entire HUD assembly under warranty. It's supposedly a $3600 CAD (~$2700 USD) part.

Kal
No updates so far - was supposed to have the dealer replace the HUD a few days ago but the service rep had mis-judged the work involved and entered 1-2 hours when in fact it's an all day affair (odd as I had even told him ahead of time that I believe the dash has to come off), and they didn't have any loaners available so I had to rebook for next week. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised given that the service rep didn't know what a HUD even was (he had entered that the "control display" screen wasn't always working and I had to correct him).

I'm a bit concerned with having the dealership spend all day digging under the dash to replace the HUD, but have to assume the people doing the actual work are more knowledgeable about the vehicles than the service rep.

Kal
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #38
robbief00
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F34, 2015 F15 M Sport

In my case, replacing the battery fixed all my HUD issues.

It was starting to not come on randomly or would glitch and be too high or low. As mentioned above, I think the bad battery can cause the stepper motor from calibrating properly at start up.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:10 AM   #39
PnP
Private First Class
Laos
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbief00 View Post

It was starting to not come on randomly or would glitch and be too high or low. As mentioned above, I think the bad battery can cause the stepper motor from calibrating properly at start up.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #40
kalW
Rep

Quote:

Interesting. In my case my vehicle is 4 years old (bought new) and the HUD would not come on sometimes (very rarely) over the entire first 4 years of the vehicle, starting within a month of two of purchase. It didn't happen more or less at the start or near the end of the 4 years I've owned it. A bad (or low) battery may exacerbate the issue, but my HUD non-starts were rare and spaced out.

I had mine (finally) replaced today under warranty. Took the dealership all day and the fit and finish looks identical to before (which is nice to see) and everything seems to be working just like before. (Again the issue was a very rare stepper motor error according to the vehicle error logs). Wasn't able to keep the old HUD as it needs to go back to BMW as part of warranty.

For anyone who's curious my service sheet was written up as :

Quote:
COMPLAINT:

- HEADS UP DISPLAY TO BE REPLACED AS PER PREVIOUS DIAG

CORRECTION:

- REMOVED CENTER CONSOLE, REMOVED DASH AND ALL TRIM.
- REMOVED AND REPLACED HEADS UP DISPLAY.
- RE INSTALLED DASH, TRIM AND CENTER CONTROLE
- 2. PROGRAMMED AND ENCODED VEHICLE
- TESTED HEADS UP DISPLAY, WORKING FINE AT THIS TIME.
Kal
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 03:43 AM   #41
nhl100
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Has anyone seen a prob with horizontal black/white lines in the HUD and been able to fix it for reasonable cost? Just started yesterday, looks like an old CRT TV that has not been tuned?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #42
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:

My HUD disappeared as I was driving last week. I checked Idrive and the HUD setting was unchecked. I thought "no wonder" but Idrive would not let me check the box. It was as if there was a glitch. I parked the car, worked out then came back and everything worked correctly. Fast forward to today and the same thing happened again. After reading on here I'm leaning toward your theory of a low battery might be the culprit. Guess I'll have the batteries tested.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:57 PM   #43
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I had this issue twice in my F16 M50d. I was told by BMW if the battery is low then it was prioritize power supply to HUD, therefore, not switching on. The reason it comes back on in subsequent restart is because the battery is charged enough for HUD power. If you think of it makes sense.
      12-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #44
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

My HUD has been going out from time to time as well. Dealer has replaced the whole instrumental cluster. I asked them if it can be due to a battery as I don't drive much, but they said it's somewhat common on these models, idk... But since the replacement, no issues.
Appreciate 1