BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #1
Jcrove06
Rep
Drives: TBD

Automatic Braking, Do I Have it??

I bought a 2017 BMW X5 M body package recently. It has what I believe is the drive assistance package. The the button in the center of the dash with the car with the orange or green circle around it. The description seems to explain it will break automatically to avoid a collision with a car or pedestrian but it hasn’t interjected once. I have been in other cars where I delay braking approaching a car at a red light and it brakes. This one doesn’t or at least I don’t want to have a rear end collision testing when it will finally kick in. I do have it on the “earliest” setting so it should apply brakes automatically when I’m not braking.

Could there be another setting I’m messing or does it just not brake automatically. Also the lane assist just vibrates if I shift lanes without my signal. In other cars lanes assist will steer the car to stay in the lane and keep the car ahead of you a certain distance. Does my car have this feature? If so how do I engage it. Thank you much for your help.

JC
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #2
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Read the manual...
Appreciate 1
F15GorDe261.00
      02-17-2020, 02:23 AM   #3
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

If you dont have adaptive cruise control or driver assistance plus package I believe you dont have the automatic braking.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:24 AM   #4
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Also F series dont have the lane keep feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj22 View Post
If you dont have adaptive cruise control or driver assistance plus package I believe you dont have the automatic braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj22 View Post
Also F series dont have the lane keep feature.
What he said ^

However, if the system thinks you are about to rear end another vehicle, it will "pre load" the brakes so that when you finally press the brake pedal it will apply much more braking force than you called for.
      02-17-2020, 07:11 AM   #6
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Brake pre-loading means a slight increase in the brake fluid pressure in order to get the brake pads in contact with the brake discs, therefore reducing the time between pressing the brake pedal and the car slowing down.
Brake force amplifier is a different system.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
Brake pre-loading means a slight increase in the brake fluid pressure in order to get the brake pads in contact with the brake discs, therefore reducing the time between pressing the brake pedal and the car slowing down.
Your technical description is probably 100% true, but I have personally experienced barely tapping the brakes after a forward collision warning and having the vehicle slow VERY abruptly!
      02-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrove06 View Post
I bought a 2017 BMW X5 M body package recently. It has what I believe is the drive assistance package. The the button in the center of the dash with the car with the orange or green circle around it. The description seems to explain it will break automatically to avoid a collision with a car or pedestrian but it hasn’t interjected once. I have been in other cars where I delay braking approaching a car at a red light and it brakes. This one doesn’t or at least I don’t want to have a rear end collision testing when it will finally kick in. I do have it on the “earliest” setting so it should apply brakes automatically when I’m not braking.

Could there be another setting I’m messing or does it just not brake automatically. Also the lane assist just vibrates if I shift lanes without my signal. In other cars lanes assist will steer the car to stay in the lane and keep the car ahead of you a certain distance. Does my car have this feature? If so how do I engage it. Thank you much for your help.

JC
PLEASE use your BRAKES!!! You do NOT own a Tesla or other autonomous driving vehicle. Any auto braking from your car is a last resort in certain circumstances where normal driving decisions have not been followed...and the pre loading of the brakes or if the brakes are actually applied based on the options you have...that are to help reduce or avoid an accident.

You are NOT to not apply brakes for the driving conditions you're in. So please apply your brakes as you would normally and don't assume your car is going to do it for you.

In latter model years (I believe if you have the Intelligent Safety button)...there are some city mitigation braking that occurs under a specific speed or scenario (read your owners manual for verification). As others have already mentioned...if you have ACC (active cruise control) then you do have some automatic braking at higher speeds...but again, this does NOT mean you can drive around assuming that you don't have to use your brakes.

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-17-2020 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
I think that even cars without ACC are able to apply brakes. I don't have ACC but if I'm going too fast with cruise on (downhill for example) it will brake to slow me down.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
König
König
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 x50i M-Sport

I remember reading that BMW has two types of accident avoidance systems which will apply the brakes automatically. One is done through the cameras visually and can only do automatic braking at "city speeds." The other system uses a combo of visual data and radar to be able to brake at both "city speeds" and "highway speeds." I'm unsure what the actual speeds are that fit into these zones. I also assume the latter option is only on the newest generation vehicles... But I'll be in the shop tomorrow and will ask someone.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #11
EED14X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by König Schultz View Post
I remember reading that BMW has two types of accident avoidance systems which will apply the brakes automatically. One is done through the cameras visually and can only do automatic braking at "city speeds." The other system uses a combo of visual data and radar to be able to brake at both "city speeds" and "highway speeds." I'm unsure what the actual speeds are that fit into these zones. I also assume the latter option is only on the newest generation vehicles... But I'll be in the shop tomorrow and will ask someone.
My 2014 with the Driver Assistance Plus package has both braking systems. The city/pedestrian one operates from 6mph to 35mph and uses just the camera. The other system uses the radar sensor and camera and operates from 3mph and doesn't list an upper limit. It doesn't work when coming up on cars at a stop (unless you're going slow enough for the car to stop). I've

I've had some idiots brake suddenly in front of me and the car saved me from rear ending them. Not perfect as it doesn't always catch stuff but thankful to have a second pair of eyes in the car.
Appreciate 1
König20.00