BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #23
jcvincent
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 40e

Final touch

Big note: the JB4 app is an extra cost from the AppStore. You'll need that to check and clear codes and adjust maps and see performance, log data, etc.

I started the car and the vehicle idled normally and no CEL. Phew. It loaded to Map 1, and I took it up the interstate (North) an exit: definitely feel a difference. Big heavy car had more mid-rpm pull as you open up the throttle. Ran WTFO for a few moments to put a smile on my face.

Exited and turned back south. While waiting to get on the southbound on-ramp, I switched to Map 2, and was prepared to boogie. Honest impression: this might have more go-fast on it, but it's hard to compare with Map 1 without real data: both felt like improvements from stock but hard to tell how much "more" came from #2 over #1.

Returned home and checked the logs. Still no CEL, but ran the errors program anyways. Curiously it showed a knock sensor warning so I'm curious about this. I cleared the errors and reset the unit to Map 1. I will periodically check to see if I get trouble codes on #1, but that feels like where I will stay.

Drove out to run a few errands and continue to be pleased.

With no access to a proper dyno or tuning shop, I'm very satisfied.

So, and only in reflection on how it went, I made the decision to adorn the rear with a JB4 badge.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #24
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

Congrats! Let us know how you like it long term.

I'm curious about the connection to the OBDII port, only other type of piggyback I'm a little familiar with is the racechip version which just connects in the engine bay.

I might do this JB4 tune or a local company with dyno/tune (but not piggyback)... not sure yet, but there's other stuff I need to do first, haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #25
jcvincent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroy View Post
Congrats! Let us know how you like it long term.

I'm curious about the connection to the OBDII port, only other type of piggyback I'm a little familiar with is the racechip version which just connects in the engine bay.

I might do this JB4 tune or a local company with dyno/tune (but not piggyback)... not sure yet, but there's other stuff I need to do first, haha.
This one connects to OBD, TMAP and MAP.

I can't seem to attach a non-image file but the instructions are a PDF with good images; coupled with what I uploaded this should be fool proof.

Screenshot from the instructions attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:25 PM   #26
jcvincent
United_States
Rep

Day #2 impressions

Had a bit of fun today. The X5 definitely has more mid range and top-end oomph from the seat-dyno.

I haven't gotten any repeat codes whatsoever - perhaps these were one time anomalies but I had reached out to their support just in case. Kudos to the Burger Tuning folks, they responded immediately and asked for some data logs and such. This level of support soothed any nerves I might have had, though I don't think I had any real qualms.

I'll do the third gear pull from 2,500-redline at WOT in Map 1&2 to send logs anyways, but I'm a big fan of the whole thing so far - the kit, the software usability, the customer support.

Current opinion: would do again, without hesitation

Current recommendation: do this and with a fully charged battery, put in sport mode and have a go — taking advantage of improved ICE/turbo performance and eBoost. Get big grins from a very heavy X5
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:53 AM   #27
jcvincent
United_States
Rep

Downpipe

Things are going great so far. No trouble codes and lots of fun once the engine warms up. Oddly, it can be frustrating that the engine is always cold due to battery powering the drivetrain so I don't always get to enjoy the power delivery improvements.

I also discovered a cat-less downpipe recently. I'm not going to do this right now but maybe late summer or fall:

https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-catles...e-n20-f15.html

Anybody have any reviews using it? If so: On the N20, will I need the O2 spacer for a CEL fix?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #28
CoopersF15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive 40e Performance

Thank you for the ongoing updates - good data points for those interested in the kit for the 40e specifically.
      02-25-2020, 02:25 AM   #29
chumbedi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5e40 (F15)

Would only be interested in a battery upgrade (i.e. more milage) incl. reprogramming and hope someone will offer in near future.

Pick up + driving performance is OK for me (driving on German Highways - model is limited to max. 190 km/h)

Have dropped plans to buy X5 45e.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 05:55 AM   #30
E90MYKE
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

I'm not sure if the 40e has the exact same firewall setup as the 35i, but when I contacted Burger they suggested the quarter panel also. But, you can go through the firewall for a little bit cleaner look.
Where the main wire harness comes through the firewall on the driver side it has a large rubber grommet. There are two indentions in the grommet to the side of the harness. You can drill either one.
On the inside, it will come through the firewall near the OBDII connector and you can plug in with a clean look. On the inside of the engine bay it comes through a little lower and behind the brake booster.
I'll try to get better pictures later.
It'll eliminate the wire going through the door jam.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #31
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update. I might have to push up my timetable for the piggyback - was originally planning on Spring/Summer (unless I do new/lighter OEM wheels, roads in the city are bad here so I'm sticking with a squared setup with 19" or 20").

No idea on the catless downpipe. I'd give it a try but am unsure about it because of emissions testing here. Something I'll need to read about.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #32
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbedi View Post
Would only be interested in a battery upgrade (i.e. more milage) incl. reprogramming and hope someone will offer in near future.

Pick up + driving performance is OK for me (driving on German Highways - model is limited to max. 190 km/h)

Have dropped plans to buy X5 45e.
It's gotta be possible, they have them for the i8 and i3 now from aftermarket companies so the 40e takes the same battery I think so it's just a matter of time I feel.

How great would it be to double the milage in the future !

Heck their selling 94ah batteries from wrecked i3's for cheap! Just need the software !

Of course soon I'm sure you'll be able to find the 120ah batteries at some point.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #33
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
It's gotta be possible, they have them for the i8 and i3 now from aftermarket companies so the 40e takes the same battery I think so it's just a matter of time I feel.

Heck their selling 94ah batteries from wrecked i3's for cheap! Just need the software !

Of course soon I'm sure you'll be able to find the 120ah batteries at some point.
I would absolutely be interested in something like this as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #34
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

I would absolutely be interested in something like this as well.
Not to mention it would increase the resale of our rides as well. Or at least slow it down.

If you got some cheap batteries from a wrecked i3 and where able to go to 40 miles per charge I bet you could slow the resale drop! .

Not that it's important but to have 40 miles vs 18 would be great!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:01 AM   #35
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvincent View Post
Things are going great so far. No trouble codes and lots of fun once the engine warms up. Oddly, it can be frustrating that the engine is always cold due to battery powering the drivetrain so I don't always get to enjoy the power delivery improvements.

I also discovered a cat-less downpipe recently. I'm not going to do this right now but maybe late summer or fall:

Anybody have any reviews using it? If so: On the N20, will I need the O2 spacer for a CEL fix?
How’s the 40e running with the tune? Thinking of doing the same with mine.

gwes
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #36
jcvincent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post
Quote:

How’s the 40e running with the tune? Thinking of doing the same with mine.

gwes
Everything is going well. With the Rona, I've been in all electric mode to run errands mostly though.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #37
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the bump on an old thread. I checked out Amazon and there now appears to be a Race Chip RS and Race Chip GTS for the 40e. I'm a little suspect (the GTS one says from 2012 when 2016 was the first year, I'm thinking that it's just the N20 version?) so I've emailed Race Chip and they said it will work on our cars... but the Race Chip USA website doesn't even have the 40e as an option - I emailed them back for clarification. I also emailed the seller on Amazon as well. Will let everyone know what I hear.

edit: I heard back and Race Chip spoke with their engineers. No go on our 40e. They will also speak with the reseller on Amazon since the item there isn't for use on the 40e.

Last edited by corduroy; 07-21-2020 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 07:06 PM   #38
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroy View Post
Sorry for the bump on an old thread. I checked out Amazon and there now appears to be a Race Chip RS and Race Chip GTS for the 40e. I'm a little suspect (the GTS one says from 2012 when 2016 was the first year, I'm thinking that it's just the N20 version?) so I've emailed Race Chip and they said it will work on our cars... but the Race Chip USA website doesn't even have the 40e as an option - I emailed them back for clarification. I also emailed the seller on Amazon as well. Will let everyone know what I hear.

edit: I heard back and Race Chip spoke with their engineers. No go on our 40e. They will also speak with the reseller on Amazon since the item there isn't for use on the 40e.
Yeah I reached out about this ages ago and got the same response.
I wish they had more performance options for this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #39
c00lbeans
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

Quote:
Everything is going well. With the Rona, I've been in all electric mode to run errands mostly though.
Did your gas mileage improve? My WRXs milage improved a bit from getting tuned. Any idea how your tune would work with a catless downpipe? Would the stage II tune be suited for a catless DP.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #40
EverTemple
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive40e

I have a 2018 X5 40e M Sport with quite a bit of mod and a custom exhaust piping.

Currently, the car is running RON 100 fuel and the maximum hp I have gotten out of the car is around 380whp at 22psi when dynoed about 2 months ago (IIRC baseline dyno was ~330whp at 18psi). which is not a lot as I don't dare to push too harshly due to not having done anything to the internals yet. Keep in mind that the temperature here in Malaysia is quite hot 87-88F, so I figure it will produce even higher horsepower in a colder climate due to cooler air.

The car has the following mods:
- TTE400 from TheTurboEngineer (to be pushed further)
- X5 FMIC from Wagnertuning
- Custom exhaust (1 downpipe, 1 high flow cat, 2 resonators, and no muffler)
- High flow cat from MagnaTuning
- Original M4 carbon fiber exhaust tips
- Custom made stainless steel charge pipe from Everco (Local but superb quality brand)
- M2 LED Steering Wheel with custom OBD info screen
- Brembo BBK GT6 front caliper and GT4 rear caliper (planning on upgrading further to either Endless Monobloc or Brembo Carbon Ceramic) (Using Castrol React SRF Racing Brake Fluid)
- 22'' Fully Forged wheels from Vorsteiner (VFN 516)
- Pirelli P Zero tires as I can't find the size and width from other brands
- Retrofitted TPMS (Didn't come from the factory)
- BimmerCoded a bunch of functions (Ambient LED color, DSP, HUD, etc.)
- BMC High Flow Intake Filter
- Sprintbooster v3 Pedal Tuner (Makes the car more responsive by altering pedal signal)
- OEM M Performance Door LED Projector (All 4 doors)
- X5M Bodykit to improve aero
- X5M Black Double Slatted Kidney Grill
- X5M Side Mirror Retrofit from r33_RGSport (Changed to a custom dry carbon cover later)
- Custom made carbon fiber splitter, rear defuser, skirt
- Ultra Racing Anti Rollbars (Couldn't find anti rollbars so I went with this brand, it's not bad but body roll still there as I have air suspension, will upgrade to something else soon)

Also a bunch of other planned upgrades such as the M Diff & Active Anti Rollbar etc. (To be updated in a new post soon once I have figured out everything)

Right now I am trying to flash transmission for shift time. However, haven't found any tools that are able to do it to the 40e due to the hybrid transmission, have heard something developing for Active Hybrid from xHP but not sure at the moment, especially for true PHEV.

My plan is to either fully build the n20 or upgrade to the bigger cc S55/S63 while retaining the hybrid system, with the end goal of achieving 500-600bhp (Fully Build N20+Hybrid) or 800+bhp (Fully Build S63+Hybrid), potentially more if the battery is upgraded (still investigating)

I will make a post for progress in the near future once I have unlocked the abilities to do so as a new member (this is my first reply).

Cheers

Last edited by EverTemple; 11-25-2020 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Updated to include baseline dyno info
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12912.50
      11-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #41
c00lbeans
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTemple View Post
I have a 2018 X5 40e M Sport with quite a bit of mod and a custom exhaust piping.

Currently, the car is running RON 100 fuel and the maximum hp I have gotten out of the car is around 380whp at 22psi when dynoed about 2 months ago (IIRC baseline dyno was ~330whp at 18psi). which is not a lot as I don't dare to push too harshly due to not having done anything to the internals yet. Keep in mind that the temperature here in Malaysia is quite hot 87-88F, so I figure it will produce even higher horsepower in a colder climate due to cooler air.

- Custom made stainless steel charge pipe from Everco (Local but superb quality brand)
- Brembo BBK GT6 front caliper and GT4 rear caliper (planning on upgrading further to either Endless Monobloc or Brembo Carbon Ceramic) (Using Castrol React SRF Racing Brake Fluid)
- Sprintbooster v3 Pedal Tuner (Makes the car more responsive by altering pedal signal)
- X5M Side Mirror Retrofit from r33_RGSport (Changed to a custom dry carbon cover later)
- Ultra Racing Anti Rollbars (Couldn't find anti rollbars so I went with this brand, it's not bad but body roll still there as I have air suspension, will upgrade to something else soon)

Also a bunch of other planned upgrades such as the M Diff & Active Anti Rollbar etc. (To be updated in a new post soon once I have figured out everything)

Right now I am trying to flash transmission for shift time. However, haven't found any tools that are able to do it to the 40e due to the hybrid transmission, have heard something developing for Active Hybrid from xHP but not sure at the moment, especially for true PHEV.

My plan is to either fully build the n20 or upgrade to the bigger cc S55/S63 while retaining the hybrid system, with the end goal of achieving 500-600bhp (Fully Build N20+Hybrid) or 800+bhp (Fully Build S63+Hybrid), potentially more if the battery is upgraded (still investigating)

I will make a post for progress in the near future once I have unlocked the abilities to do so as a new member (this is my first reply).

Cheers
You gotta post some photos and video of that exhaust sound.

For the transmission apparently you can code it from 2te to 2tb to make it faster(im not sure if the M version comes with 2tb stock or 2te with sport+ somehow turned on). Here is a post with some info. https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...e#post20711949

The only concern I see is the KOMBI L6 BO > FZG_Ausstattung 3003 > SEGELN_ENABLE = aktiv
code for the 2te. not having that coded might effect the ecopro sailing/coasting. Maybe it can be added to the 2tb config.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #42
c00lbeans
Banned
Rep

Quote:

You ever get the downpipe? Have you measured your 0-60 with the M timer app?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:45 AM   #43
EverTemple
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
Quote:

Cheers

For the transmission apparently you can code it from 2te to 2tb to make it faster(im not sure if the M version comes with 2tb stock or 2te with sport+ somehow turned on). Here is a post with some info. https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...e#post20711949

The only concern I see is the KOMBI L6 BO > FZG_Ausstattung 3003 > SEGELN_ENABLE = aktiv
code for the 2te. not having that coded might effect the ecopro sailing/coasting. Maybe it can be added to the 2tb config.
My transmission is a 2TE with DEC Sport+ and paddle available. I will try changing to 2TB to see if anything changes, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:49 AM   #44
EverTemple
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
Quote:

Cheers

Also I'm getting another tune tomorrow for adjusting shift burbble, I'll post some videos and the dyno chart afterward.

Appreciate 0