BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 X5 (N55)

Oil pan gasket

I’m at the mechanic now changing both my differential fluids and the transmission pan. I noticed oil on the engine motor screw where you loosen to change the engine oil and asked him if that was normal. He checked it out and told me my Oil pan gasket needed to be replaced. I checked for the part and it was 36.00 dollars on FCP euro. The mechanic told me he would charged me 1,000 dollars to change it. Is this a normal price for this? Seems a little much for such a simple piece. He continued to tell me that he would have to take apart the whole suspension in order to get to the spot to change it and it would take 2 days for the job to be done. Should I go somewhere else? I’m in NYC.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Is it dripping on the floor? Or just wet?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
smashe
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition 2016 x5 35

You need to figure out if it's your upper or lower oil pan gasket that's leaking, because that is a HUGE difference in labor. Lower pan gasket should be maybe a couple hours total, the upper is about 12 hours. BMW quotes around $4200 for upper oil pan.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

I would absolutely get a second opinion. It could have been loose, or stripped, etc. Did he show you the oil on the bolt or did you notice and ask? Suspension has nothing to do with the lower oil drain plug/oil pan/etc.
      01-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #5
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Is it dripping on the floor? Or just wet?
Slight drip, not too much. But I cleaned the nut and by the time he was finished with the job it was wet again and it took him like an 90 minutes to do the job.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashe View Post
You need to figure out if it's your upper or lower oil pan gasket that's leaking, because that is a HUGE difference in labor. Lower pan gasket should be maybe a couple hours total, the upper is about 12 hours. BMW quotes around $4200 for upper oil pan.
I didn't know their was two separate one but he told me it was "Seals oil pan to engine block" the car was lifted so he was able to show me from under the car where the seal was. I looked at it and it was wet with oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
I would absolutely get a second opinion. It could have been loose, or stripped, etc. Did he show you the oil on the bolt or did you notice and ask? Suspension has nothing to do with the lower oil drain plug/oil pan/etc.
I noticed and asked then he looked around with a flashlight and spotted wet oil around the gasket. The car was lifted so you could see from standing under the car where the seal was and how it was wet with oil. I'll try to get a second opinion, I asked him how urgent was this to replace and he told me that shouldn't mess other parts of the car but I should keep a look out for the measurement of oil since it's leaking.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson View Post
Quote:
I noticed and asked then he looked around with a flashlight and spotted wet oil around the gasket. The car was lifted so you could see from standing under the car where the seal was and how it was wet with oil. I'll try to get a second opinion, I asked him how urgent was this to replace and he told me that shouldn't mess other parts of the car but I should keep a look out for the measurement of oil since it's leaking.
Well if it's the 35i then you have two issues later in life that bmw had yet to rectify.

You'll get the oil pan gasket and the oil filter housing go at some pint.

Yea it's a big job and 1000 is normal. I paid 800 for mine but that was a discounted rate.

Depending where you are and your shop hours has an effect of price but he's not pulling your chain.

You need to drop the whole subframe to get to it properly.

Theirs a few that can do it without dropping the subframe but it's a huge PITA and risk of damaging your gasket.

The leak will gradually get worse as the oil is actually above the gasket line so it starts slow.

I've had it happen to me on two N55 products.

It's a matter of when not if.
Appreciate 2
HJ478.00
      01-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #9
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson View Post
Quote:
Well if it's the 35i then you have two issues later in life that bmw had yet to rectify.

You'll get the oil pan gasket and the oil filter housing go at some pint.

Yea it's a big job and 1000 is normal. I paid 800 for mine but that was a discounted rate.

Depending where you are and your shop hours has an effect of price but he's not pulling your chain.

You need to drop the whole subframe to get to it properly.

Theirs a few that can do it without dropping the subframe but it's a huge PITA and risk of damaging your gasket.

The leak will gradually get worse as the oil is actually above the gasket line so it starts slow.

I've had it happen to me on two N55 products.

It's a matter of when not if.
I changed the oil filter housing about two weeks ago. But I'll check if I get a better price than 1,000 if I don't I'll just go with this mechanic. Thank you for the information.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I asked my dealer to check for oil leaks before warranty expired and this is one of the leaks they found along with the rear main seal. They had to keep my car for a couple days; the transmission and everything needed to be dropped.
      01-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I asked my dealer to check for oil leaks before warranty expired and this is one of the leaks they found along with the rear main seal. They had to keep my car for a couple days; the transmission and everything needed to be dropped.
Holy smokes! The rear main! Never heard of that one going ! Yikes!

Good catch!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #12
Ozmac
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5 M sport

My 2016 50 with 24k is in right now for the upper oil pan gasket - they say it wont be ready till tuesday
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #13
Ozmac
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5 M sport

what is involved in doing upper pan gasket ???
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
bobmac
Registered
Rep
Drives: Current:2016 X6 Sold:2013 M3

Sorry to hear...

I'm sorry to hear about your oil leak. I just had a similar situation. I was having KWs installed on my 2016 X6 and the mechanic pointed out the underbody pan was covered in oil. Took it to the Dealer to and found out the rear main seal was leaking. Took 4 days to get the part and have it installed. Thankfully it was covered by the warrantee.
I wish you the best with your issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #15
wankelman24
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35i M Sport

Garage List
Oil Gaskets / Lower and Upper

Well, Just took my 2016 X5 35i MSport in for regular service and i mentioned the smell of burning oil. The tech did the inspection and found the upper oil pan gasket, lower oil pan gasket, both oil lines to the turbos needed to be replaced. $6,000!!! Yep! I have Veritas Global Protection -Premier Plan. Waiting to hear back from my BMW SA to make sure all of this is covered. From what I could tell in the fine print, it stated all gaskets and seals were covered. Let's Pray this is correct.

I have 66,000 miles on it. It was delivered in August 2015. It was one of the first builds for 2016. Other than this the car has been flawless. Love it.

Let me know if any of you have had any experience with Veritas. Thx!

Chris Bangle (former head of design, BMW)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 05:54 PM   #16
Konradical6
Private
Rep
Drives: E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatr0n View Post
I’m at the mechanic now changing both my differential fluids and the transmission pan. I noticed oil on the engine motor screw where you loosen to change the engine oil and asked him if that was normal. He checked it out and told me my Oil pan gasket needed to be replaced. I checked for the part and it was 36.00 dollars on FCP euro. The mechanic told me he would charged me 1,000 dollars to change it. Is this a normal price for this? Seems a little much for such a simple piece. He continued to tell me that he would have to take apart the whole suspension in order to get to the spot to change it and it would take 2 days for the job to be done. Should I go somewhere else? I’m in NYC.
Who’s your mechanic that’s cheap for that job
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 08:43 PM   #17
X5Guy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

$1000 to replace the oil pan gasket is a pretty good price.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #18
Roman0323
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatr0n View Post
I am pretty late to this but where did you change ur diff and trans oil I am in ny too
Appreciate 0