BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-07-2020, 06:25 AM   #1
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Anyone catch tech's taking their cars for a drive?

Some context. I took my F86 in for an annoying noise with the steering wheel. It groaned when adjusted and when it raised and lowered after getting in or out. Nothing serious and it was fixed in a few hours. Apparently there was a plastic screw that needed to be removed.

ANYWAY, I own an Owlcam. Basically it plugs into the OBD port and can stay on for 3 days while the vehicle is off. Power draw is minimal so it won't affect battery. I get live alerts and can actually watch the feed from both interior and exterior live with audio.

So I get an alert on my phone and tune in. I knew it would alert me of the techs getting in and out since my phone wasn't near it. After watching a clip I noticed a tech talking to a woman while pulling the car out of their shop,

Woman- Who's car is this?

Tech- I don't know. Some customers. Going to take it for a drive. 'Smiles'

Then they proceed to talk about how their Super Bowl parties went. THANKFULLY the guy did not drive the car but just parked it and went on with his day. I won't upload the video since he didn't actually do anything but it was concerning regardless. Maybe some of you could take this as a PSA to invest in an dashcam but I wanted to know if anyone actually caught someone driving their car without permission or not in the context of making sure a service problem was fixed.
      02-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexk1012 View Post
Some context. I took my F86 in for an annoying noise with the steering wheel. It groaned when adjusted and when it raised and lowered after getting in or out. Nothing serious and it was fixed in a few hours. Apparently there was a plastic screw that needed to be removed.

ANYWAY, I own an Owlcam. Basically it plugs into the OBD port and can stay on for 3 days while the vehicle is off. Power draw is minimal so it won't affect battery. I get live alerts and can actually watch the feed from both interior and exterior live with audio.

So I get an alert on my phone and tune in. I knew it would alert me of the techs getting in and out since my phone wasn't near it. After watching a clip I noticed a tech talking to a woman while pulling the car out of their shop,

Woman- Who's car is this?

Tech- I don't know. Some customers. Going to take it for a drive. 'Smiles'

Then they proceed to talk about how their Super Bowl parties went. THANKFULLY the guy did not drive the car but just parked it and went on with his day. I won't upload the video since he didn't actually do anything but it was concerning regardless. Maybe some of you could take this as a PSA to invest in an dashcam but I wanted to know if anyone actually caught someone driving their car without permission or not in the context of making sure a service problem was fixed.
I've never had a vehicle taken for a "joyride" although I've suffered fuckery of other kinds. I always take a photo of the dashboard, showing the mileage and trip computer mileage, before I hand over the key. When I get it back it better not have 20 miles put on it, if all they're doing is replacing the AC filters.
      02-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

What exactly is concerning? I read your post three times. I'm not catching any issues.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      02-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
What exactly is concerning? I read your post three times. I'm not catching any issues.
The fact that guy seemed completely serious about driving the car, but chose not to.

But the post was more a question than anything to see how other people's cars have been handled.