BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2020, 01:55 AM   #1
superkevin813
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

AFE Exhaust for X5M review

I was looking for a full exhaust system with louder/deeper sound profile, X-pipe, muffler and most importantly the reasonable price in the market.
AFE has a pretty good deal during blackfriday, their sould clip sounds good and exhaust looks nice integrated with OEM valve control.
Based on website description they charge 25% restocking fee if you don't like the sound and return the product, but I decided to give it a try.
The system comes with X-pipe setup to balance the flow which is the MUST for me. The system comes with Resonator delete but I am disappinted on this setup cuz I feel very raspy so swap with their compatible 12in resonators replacement.
The muffler design is interesting. Outer pipes don't go through muffler and it is the same design that akrapovic did to the E70 X5M. AFE adds a cross pipe in inner pipes and about 1/4 area of gas can go through crosspipe directly. Overall there is probably 65% gas not going through muffler which make it loud
I like their unique sound profile, loud and racing style. You can keep it quiet with the OEM valve control. Link to sound clip:
Bonus point: the tip outlet size is standard 2.5inch, you can swap with whatever exhaust tips you like. I got replica Akrapovic CF tips from ebay.
Disclaimer: Not association with AFE, just a happy customer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Blewx5m128.00
      02-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5m

I also picked up this exhaust during Black Friday. I opted for the carbon tips. I believe this is one of the best bang for your buck exhaust out there. It truly an OEM plus sound and looks! I love it esp when its WOT WOT! However the only downside to it and IDK if its just AFE or other brands too but the drone is crazy annoying while cruising. You definitely need to learn to manage it. Otherwise I LOVE it
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
superkevin813
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewx5m View Post
I also picked up this exhaust during Black Friday. I opted for the carbon tips. I believe this is one of the best bang for your buck exhaust out there. It truly an OEM plus sound and looks! I love it esp when its WOT WOT! However the only downside to it and IDK if its just AFE or other brands too but the drone is crazy annoying while cruising. You definitely need to learn to manage it. Otherwise I LOVE it
I was on backorder and receive items after one and half month. A bit annoying that they keep me waiting
Before adding resonator, i can feel rasp and drone.
So I strong suggest you also add their resonator for only $150.
Drone and rasp are completely gone now. I believe FI and akrapovic also have resonator right after cat
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
BadCompany
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e-tron GT, C63 507, ISF, Elise

How was fitment? I have read that the fitment was fairly off and it requires a lot of working to get to sit correctly.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #5
superkevin813
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
How was fitment? I have read that the fitment was fairly off and it requires a lot of working to get to sit correctly.
I don't have any fitment issue. Make sure all pipe insert ALL the way in. the rubber hanging boot should be exact vertical position. then it is good to go putting exhaust tips on
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #6
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkevin813 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
I don't have any fitment issue. Make sure all pipe insert ALL the way in. the rubber hanging boot should be exact vertical position. then it is good to go putting exhaust tips on
I didnt run into any issues either... It was a pretty straightforward job according to my mechanics. The quality is great and the package was well protected... All in for this unit with an extra set of csrbon tips was under 3k that uses the factory evc...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:52 AM   #7
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
I was looking for a full exhaust system with louder/deeper sound profile, X-pipe, muffler and most importantly the reasonable price in the market.
AFE has a pretty good deal during blackfriday, their sould clip sounds good and exhaust looks nice integrated with OEM valve control.
Based on website description they charge 25% restocking fee if you don't like the sound and return the product, but I decided to give it a try.
The system comes with X-pipe setup to balance the flow which is the MUST for me. The system comes with Resonator delete but I am disappinted on this setup cuz I feel very raspy so swap with their compatible 12in resonators replacement.
The muffler design is interesting. Outer pipes don't go through muffler and it is the same design that akrapovic did to the E70 X5M. AFE adds a cross pipe in inner pipes and about 1/4 area of gas can go through crosspipe directly. Overall there is probably 65% gas not going through muffler which make it loud
I like their unique sound profile, loud and racing style. You can keep it quiet with the OEM valve control. Link to sound clip:
Bonus point: the tip outlet size is standard 2.5inch, you can swap with whatever exhaust tips you like. I got replica Akrapovic CF tips from ebay.
Disclaimer: Not association with AFE, just a happy customer.
Sounds great but the fitment in that insta video is very bad, you can see the heatshield hanging and the tips are hanging 2-2.5" lower.

You seemed to have fitted it perfectly though so well done. Any pics from the back of the X5M after installation?
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
superkevin813
Private
Rep

Mine with CF rear diffuser. Perfect fitment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #9
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Looks great
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:22 PM   #10
M5_508
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Do any of you guys have any videos of the AFE Exhaust?

Saw the one Instagram video but couldn't find anything else online.. looking between one of these or an Eisenmann Race.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
UAEX6M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M 2016

Quote:
Will this kind of catback have any drone? Whats the difference in sound from stock from 1-10?
Attached Images

04-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #12
M5_508
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAEX6M View Post
Quote:
Will this kind of catback have any drone? Whats the difference in sound from stock from 1-10?
I just ordered this exact one with black tips last night. Once installed, I'll make some videos. I did find a video on their Instagram

This is what sold me.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:33 PM   #13
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresh508 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAEX6M View Post
Quote:
I just ordered this exact one with black tips last night. Once installed, I'll make some videos. I did find a video on their Instagram

This is what sold me.
Nice choice! I like it bc it has a nice tone to it but its not obnoxious... Idk about that video being accurate bc that sounds extra loud.. Maybe bc it was recorded in the garage or bc that x5m also has downpipes... Regarding the drone.. It does drone but what i do is drive is sport or tranny in 2
Appreciate 0