BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
wendivad
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M3

2014/15 BMW X5 AWD 35i issues?

Hi everyone,
My first post on here. I have run searches to look at the feedback over the last 4 plus years on the X5. I have just sold my 2002 M3 convertible and am looking to buy a used X5 - probably a 2014 or 2015 model depending on what I can negotiate.

My question is this - are there any real "gotchas" out there on these models that I should be looking out for? For example when I sold the M3 I had lots of people asking about VANOS and the sub-frame. I am thinking that I'll probably be buying something with about 40k > 50k mileage.

I am thinking of using my local BMW dealer to help find the right vehicle but see that there are reasonably priced options being sold privately. That route worries me a little as I am thinking I may get better protection against buying a lemon through the dealer.

Thanks in anticipation of any help you guys can give!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendivad View Post
Hi everyone,
My first post on here. I have run searches to look at the feedback over the last 4 plus years on the X5. I have just sold my 2002 M3 convertible and am looking to buy a used X5 - probably a 2014 or 2015 model depending on what I can negotiate.

My question is this - are there any real "gotchas" out there on these models that I should be looking out for? For example when I sold the M3 I had lots of people asking about VANOS and the sub-frame. I am thinking that I'll probably be buying something with about 40k > 50k mileage.

I am thinking of using my local BMW dealer to help find the right vehicle but see that there are reasonably priced options being sold privately. That route worries me a little as I am thinking I may get better protection against buying a lemon through the dealer.

Thanks in anticipation of any help you guys can give!
Stick with 35i or 35d (if you like diesels). N55 engine in 35i is as bulletproof as it gets in BMW world. ZF8 transmission is descent too - no common issues. At 40-50k miles you need to really check maintenance records and you'll be soon (at about 60k miles) up to some fluid changes in transfer case, transmission (if you want to keep it long), possibly some plugs/coils, possibly brake pads/rotors. So try to check when was last time everything changed.

Also, some issues worth checking, but remember they are not that common - I'm just writing them so you can have at least something to check lol:
1. Front lower control arms for any sound during driving (known to require premature replacement on some x5s)
2. Steering wheel servo tilting motor - for squealing sound during adjusting (known to stop working on some x5s)
3. Check A/C and see if you like it while it's hot outside - some people find it inadequate for the size of x5 cabin, especially if it's not tinted.

There's no major issues in general and imho it's solid SAV. In the long run you might get to fix some electronic accessories - but that's a common BMW theme.
Other than that - I would go for M Sport package - it looks a lot better in person. LED lights are also very cool - makes x5 look modern. Also, I would try to find all options you need to begin with, otherwise it's costly to retrofit. Some options you can't even retrofit - like 3rd row seats - so you need get them (or not) from the beginning.
There were some changes between 2014 and 2015 - but they are minimal.
Appreciate 2
P111575.00
      08-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
vegtrip
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hey DuSh,

I'm also looking to buy an used BMW 2015 X5. I'm talking to a private seller about the same. What's the best way to go about protecting myself against issues, if Im buying from a private seller ? For my peace of mind, I'm getting a pre-purchase inspection done by a shop that specializes in BMWs. Any other suggestions ?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegtrip View Post
Hey DuSh,

I'm also looking to buy an used BMW 2015 X5. I'm talking to a private seller about the same. What's the best way to go about protecting myself against issues, if Im buying from a private seller ? For my peace of mind, I'm getting a pre-purchase inspection done by a shop that specializes in BMWs. Any other suggestions ?
Well to my post above I can only add some tips and pointers for private sale. Doing a PPI is a must, so you got that covered. Ideally you would want to go to your nearest BMW dealership and ask them a printout (using VIN) of that x5 maintenance. If it's 2015 - it might still have original oem 4y/50k warranty - so that will be good to find out too at the dealership. And in that case - you can do a PPI at the dealership and any issue they will find - they might have to replace by warranty - free for you. Check carfax too - try to find out who was previous owner - make sure it wasn't a rental car. You can even google VIN and often some history comes up with car been sold on auctions etc.
Also, test drive it yourself, not for 5-7 min, but if possible for a good 30-40min including highway. Try going over speed bumps slowly, open windows and listen to any sounds. Open hood after test drive and keep the car idling - check that there is no oil leaks or smoke or any unusual sound. Just common sense you know. Check the exterior for any damage, glass cracks, dents, paint scratches. Try to bring some friend with you who knows about cars or maybe even has x5 so he'll be able to spot some issues (not that there are many with x5 35i).
That been said 35i is really a solid x5 - unless it was heavily abused by previous owner or neglected maintenance or was a rental.
No really, f15 x5 35i is probably one of the safest bets to buy currently among BMW SAVs.
Appreciate 1
1004ron26.50
      08-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Leased cars are rentals, technically. And most people treat them accordingly.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2113.50
P111575.00
      08-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Leased cars are rentals, technically. And most people treat them accordingly.
Very true! My 50i was a lease car when I bought it CPO. It indeed had scratches here and there - you can tell previous owner was not a car guy or car girl. I found golf equipment and some cosmetics in the trunk. In my case I thought that's an advantage because people like that usually don't speed - they just drive to shopping centers where they get dented by grocery carts, they park to close to curbs and scratch bumpers etc. Mostly they are ignorant about technical details and probably won't even know what type of hp/tq their car has. For me it's a lot better than some car guy owner (like me) who may have better driving skills and keeps his car clean, BUT abuses it heavily.

I wish it was easy to know who previous owner was, but I don't think BMW will disclose that. There is always a chance of lottery and luck, like with everything else in life.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 12:26 AM   #7
vegtrip
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I was told by the dealership that they don't do PPI. That was surprising to me. Maybe I will check with them again.

It also has a CPO warranty which I believe can be transferred to me. I need to confirm it's transferable. Online research says it is. Any feedback there ?

I had checked Carfax. It says it was first sold as a BMW certified pre-owned vehicle at around 3k miles. It doesn't show any history before that. Maybe it was a loaner vehicle of some kind ? Or used for other purposes at the dealership ? Any ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
wendivad
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M3

Thanks for the feedback. Very useful.
To vegtrip, I would look for an independent BMW technician to check the car out. Sometimes your local BMW CCA Chapter can help with recommendations. When selling the M3, the buyer used a local guy actually recommended by BMW CCA.

Last edited by wendivad; 08-12-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

No PPI at a dealership? Very strange, as it’s usually a money-maker for them, especially when the vehicle is still under warranty.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      08-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The charge pipe on N55 engines is made of plastic. The technician should pay extra attention to CP during pre purchase inspection.
The cost to replace is about $300 for ER charge pipe plus 2 hours labor.
Appreciate 3
DuSh2113.50