BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Jars914
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 35i M-Sport

MPE Question

I'm looking to purchase and install the mpe, had my 2015 x5 for a year now and I'm looking for that growl. I have a 3.5 msport with trapezoid tips, my only question is when I read about users buying the mpe they often mention plus tips, do I need to buy tips as well ? Or do I just reuse the ones I have, thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmws

You must buy the MPE finishers as well if you want the authentic sound of the mpe. Your current finishers and MPE finishers have different functions as yours has a flap while the MPE doesn't. MPE finishers have a clamp where you can take off/on with ease while your current finishers need to be welded on.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

I have a MPE with Msport tips for sale soon. The MPE was bought new from dealer and had been used for 3 weeks with about 500-600 miles. My girl friend got a good deal on Macan few months ago.So she trade in the X5 The exhaust is stored in storage for few months now.

Clarification: Msport tips finisher with clamp and no flap that design to use with MPE (not original msport tips that welded together with the exhaust)

Last edited by yewlock; 11-09-2019 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
Jars914
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewlock View Post
I have a MPE with Msport tips for sale soon. The MPE was bought new from dealer and had been used for 3 weeks with about 500-600 miles. My girl friend got a good deal on Macan few months ago.So she trade in the X5 The exhaust is stored in storage for few months now.
Quote:
Awesome I'll definitely grab them off you when your ready!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
Jars914
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201 View Post
You must buy the MPE finishers as well if you want the authentic sound of the mpe. Your current finishers and MPE finishers have different functions as yours has a flap while the MPE doesn't. MPE finishers have a clamp where you can take off/on with ease while your current finishers need to be welded on.
Got it , thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep

Ok. I will try to find time to go the storage next week. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jars914 View Post
Got it , thank you sir!
FYI M-Sport tips aren't compatible with the MPE either as they also have a flap and you would need to weld onto the muffler. I posted few months ago how my friend cheaped out on getting the MPE finishers so he used his M-sport tips on his mpe. He cut off the flap which is located on the right tip then extended the pipe had them welded onto his MPE muffler and it sounded nothing like my MPE, we figured after it was broken in it would sound better but around 1-2k miles it started to drone.
Appreciate 1
Jars914658.00
      11-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #8
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep

Clarification: Msport tips finisher with clamp and no flap that design to use with MPE (not original msport tips that welded together with the exhaust)

Last edited by yewlock; 11-09-2019 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
Jars914658.00
      11-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
M Sport tips are just M Sport tips. For those who are unaware this can be confusing, I think you're trying to say you have the M Performance tips.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
blakedunc235
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
I'm looking to purchase and install the mpe, had my 2015 x5 for a year now and I'm looking for that growl. I have a 3.5 msport with trapezoid tips, my only question is when I read about users buying the mpe they often mention plus tips, do I need to buy tips as well ? Or do I just reuse the ones I have, thank you
I just installed the MPE on mine last week. I just had the muffler shop I went to install some quad tips that I got from ebay and it sounds just like the x5's with mpe from youtube. The tips dont change the sound unless there's a leak somewhere. If you get a good deal on a used one then youre good to go, just use those tips. But if not you can get away with saving yourself $500 on those m performance finishers. I can post pics or vids if you want
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
Jars914
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakedunc235 View Post
Quote:
I just installed the MPE on mine last week. I just had the muffler shop I went to install some quad tips that I got from ebay and it sounds just like the x5's with mpe from youtube. The tips dont change the sound unless there's a leak somewhere. If you get a good deal on a used one then youre good to go, just use those tips. But if not you can get away with saving yourself $500 on those m performance finishers. I can post pics or vids if you want
That's awesome bro thanks for the info, hell yeah lemme c those vids!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
Swiftness~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 F15

Quote:
If it sounds like youtube clips then you got it all wrong because in person the MPE sounds much better. The muffler has alot to do with the sound but there is a reason why MPE tips have no flaps inside the finishers and why non MPE finishers have them. Im pretty sure the dummy flap somewhat muffles the noise unless your always pushing at over 4k rpm to have the flap open. This contradicts the whole point of an MPE if your going to stay with non mpe tips your better off not buying the mpe at all and just tying up the flap so it doesn't close to achieve the same effect at a fraction of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftness~ View Post
Quote:
If it sounds like youtube clips then you got it all wrong because in person the MPE sounds much better. The muffler has alot to do with the sound but there is a reason why MPE tips have no flaps inside the finishers and why non MPE finishers have them. Im pretty sure the dummy flap somewhat muffles the noise unless your always pushing at over 4k rpm to have the flap open. This contradicts the whole point of an MPE if your going to stay with non mpe tips your better off not buying the mpe at all and just tying up the flap so it doesn't close to achieve the same effect at a fraction of the cost.
I don't have the flap either. I never said take the tips or the flap from the old exhaust. The muffler changed the sound not the tips.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #14
Swiftness~
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't have the flap either. I never said take the tips or the flap from the old exhaust. The muffler changed the sound not the tips.
You just told him he can save 500$ by getting away with not using the MPE finishers which imo is bad information. Sure he can cut off his current tips, cut the flap and modify the piping but there won't be a huge difference in savings with doing all that than just buying the mpe finishers. Atleast with the tips in place on his current muffler he'd have a easier time selling rather than one thats cut up. And yes cutting the outter tips on a MPE finisher won't make a difference as I have done that as well with quad tips.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Must be confusion because it seemed like OP was asking if he can reuse his current finishers onto a mpe muffler
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201 View Post
Quote:
Must be confusion because it seemed like OP was asking if he can reuse his current finishers onto a mpe muffler
No confusion, op mentioned people going with after market tips as well so I was adding my experience and 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #17
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You just told him he can save 500$ by getting away with not using the MPE finishers which imo is bad information. Sure he can cut off his current tips, cut the flap and modify the piping but there won't be a huge difference in savings with doing all that than just buying the mpe finishers. Atleast with the tips in place on his current muffler he'd have a easier time selling rather than one thats cut up. And yes cutting the outter tips on a MPE finisher won't make a difference as I have done that as well with quad tips.
Doing exactly what you just said would probably cost like 100 at an exhaust shop as opposed to 500 for the MPE finishers and I've driven and heard many n55s with the mpe. The tips don't change the sound unless you're drastically changing the diameter of the pipes coming from the muffler and even then I doubt it would change much.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
blakedunc235
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can be the judge

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #19
Swiftness~
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Doing exactly what you just said would probably cost like 100 at an exhaust shop as opposed to 500 for the MPE finishers and I've driven and heard many n55s with the mpe. The tips don't change the sound unless you're drastically changing the diameter of the pipes coming from the muffler and even then I doubt it would change much.
Do you have first hand experience with non mpe finishers? Because it seems like all you did was change your tips onto a mpe finisher which is fine but that isn't what OP was inquiring about he clearly says if its ok to reuse his msport tips on a mpe which look exactly the same as mpe tips so no hes not talking about aftermarket tips he obviously wants to reuse the whole finisher. I have done extensive research here before I bought my mpe and I have yet to see a thread or a post stating the success of using non mpe finishers with the MPE matter of fact there are a few posts where people who have done this had terrible results and had to repurchase a mpe.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=mpe
Heres one of many threads that caused drone because they welded there regular tips

Last edited by Swiftness~; 11-11-2019 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #20
Jars914
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can be the judge

Thanks for the upload man definitely sounds legit 🤘🏼, have someone selling me the mpe and tips on the forum, but if the deal falls through I may consider using aftermarket tips . Thanks bro
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
Jars914
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have first hand experience with non mpe finishers? Because it seems like all you did was change your tips onto a mpe finisher which is fine but that isn't what OP was inquiring about he clearly says if its ok to reuse his msport tips on a mpe which look exactly the same as mpe tips so no hes not talking about aftermarket tips he obviously wants to reuse the whole finisher. I have done extensive research here before I bought my mpe and I have yet to see a thread or a post stating the success of using non mpe finishers with the MPE matter of fact there are a few posts where people who have done this had terrible results and had to repurchase a mpe.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;highlight=mpe
Heres one of many threads that caused drone because they welded there regular tips
Yes at first I was asking if I could re use my tips, but it was explained to me why that wouldn't work, so now I'm just buying the whole set 👍🏼 thank you for ur input though I def appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #22
Swiftness~
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the upload man definitely sounds legit ����, have someone selling me the mpe and tips on the forum, but if the deal falls through I may consider using aftermarket tips . Thanks bro
He has BM3 with burble tune just the mpe won't sound nothing like that the burbles are much toned down
Appreciate 0