BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5m

car detailing

I couldnt find much info in this group about detailing our cars... Im a wknd warrior type and a reputable detailer by me is offering a great deal on xpel's new ceramic coating fusion plus... Does anyone have experience with this coating? I only found videos on it by xpel themselves and looking for personal feedback. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
BadCompany
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e-tron GT, C63 507, ISF, Elise

Do you have PPF? I've only seen it really being laid down by detailers here in Hawaii on cars that have PPF. I've not personally had any experience with it though. My C63 is fully wrapped in PPF, but since it is a garage queen and the gloss was pretty great as is, I didn't bother coating it. Both my ISF and my X6M are coated though (but with different products).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
Do you have PPF? I've only seen it really being laid down by detailers here in Hawaii on cars that have PPF. I've not personally had any experience with it though. My C63 is fully wrapped in PPF, but since it is a garage queen and the gloss was pretty great as is, I didn't bother coating it. Both my ISF and my X6M are coated though (but with different products).
No ppf...i thought the same thing but the guy said its good for both... I really dont get the point of warranty on coatings but it has a simple 4 yr warranty if there is any damage to your car they will recoat that damaged part for free. I saw in person cars with ppf with the coatings and cars without ppf and both looked great... Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

I hear good things about Xpel, the only problem is price.

A local detailer shop wanted $2700 for my M3, front bumper, hood and rear bumper only.

For X5M/X6M, the problem areas are front bumper(always), side-skirt and lower rear bumper. I just polished mine so I went through the entire body over the weekend, to me I can live with some road-rash.

In any rate, before getting ppf, get the car polished aka paint-corrected to get rid the swirl-marks
Appreciate 1
Blewx5m128.00
      12-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
blazinpond
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M

Garage List
2019 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post

In any rate, before getting ppf, get the car polished aka paint-corrected to get rid the swirl-marks
Not necessarily the best advice...

Full Paint correction is NOT required prior to PPF, especially if you have limited budget.

Once you lay down PPF, swirls and minor paint defects are nearly indistinguishable. Xpel has some amazing pictures before/after they provide during their training course. (no, i have not gone but my detailer has).
Appreciate 1
Blewx5m128.00
      12-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
I hear good things about Xpel, the only problem is price.

A local detailer shop wanted $2700 for my M3, front bumper, hood and rear bumper only.

For X5M/X6M, the problem areas are front bumper(always), side-skirt and lower rear bumper. I just polished mine so I went through the entire body over the weekend, to me I can live with some road-rash.

I looked into it as well. Local shop wanted $6k for a full xpel wrap.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 10:25 PM   #7
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinpond View Post
Not necessarily the best advice...

Full Paint correction is NOT required prior to PPF, especially if you have limited budget.

Once you lay down PPF, swirls and minor paint defects are nearly indistinguishable. Xpel has some amazing pictures before/after they provide during their training course. (no, i have not gone but my detailer has).
the words, Xpel and budget usually don't exist in the same sentence

op can look at nano-ceramic coating, it's liquid applied on paint when cured supposedly give hard shell protection.
On budget there is DIY version of fluid, but doesn't last as long. Youtube has a few reviews on them, just search "nano ceramic"
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 10:48 PM   #8
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The problem i face is that i dont have a garage to sit there and spend as many hours as possible to do it. Of course i would prefer to do it myself but right now its not an option... I was just seeing if anyone had personal experience with Xpels ceramic coating which some members reached out to me and gave me their opinions and thank you for that... Im a fan of carpro cquartz but as we know its not about the products its the skill of the detailer.

As for ppf... Opinion, Is it dumb to protect parts of the car if the car has minor road rash? like they i do it to minimize future scratches or dumb bc the car's paint is not perfect so why bother. .. Hmmm
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 10:59 PM   #9
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Ceramic coating

There’s no way in hell this shits worth this kind of money !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
blazinpond
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
the words, Xpel and budget usually don't exist in the same sentence

op can look at nano-ceramic coating, it's liquid applied on paint when cured supposedly give hard shell protection.
On budget there is DIY version of fluid, but doesn't last as long. Youtube has a few reviews on them, just search "nano ceramic"
95% of the population have a budget with regards to aftermarket expenses on their vehicle.

Point being, some may have a $1500 dollar budget, and that will get nearly any vehicle's full front end, a quality PPF (XPEL).

Your statement of requiring paint correction prior to PPF is flat out wrong. As a result, those who have a budget will care.

For those with a $2500 dollar budget it may not matter since they can get a two stage paint correction AND Xpel PPF.

^^ rough but accurate numbers, depending on where you live. Obviously, installer is more important than anything in the above tasks (PPF and Paint Correction)

Last edited by blazinpond; 12-04-2019 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #11
blazinpond
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewx5m View Post
I couldnt find much info in this group about detailing our cars... Im a wknd warrior type and a reputable detailer by me is offering a great deal on xpel's new ceramic coating fusion plus... Does anyone have experience with this coating? I only found videos on it by xpel themselves and looking for personal feedback. Thanks
I have direct experience with this specific ceramic coating by Xpel (fusion).
Unfortunately, i cannot answer longevity questions yet...but was designed specifically for PPF, although i'm sure it'll work for prepped paint also.
However, lot of competition from more established ceramic companies to apply directly to paint.

I wrapped my new supercar in Xpel Ultimate, which was a no brainer for me.
Of course, i did need to do some research on installer and Xpel Fusion prior to deciding.
I found it likely would be the perfect solution for my overall budget of tint, ppf and ceramic (budget not to exceed $6k).

If i recall correctly, Xpel Fusion (ceramic) is guaranteed for 4 years as long as i get an annual checkup at my dealer and use a topper periodically.

What i can speak to is gloss/depth....which looks as good as i've seen for PPF/ceramic combo.

Last edited by blazinpond; 12-04-2019 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinpond View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewx5m View Post
I have direct experience with this specific ceramic coating by Xpel (fusion).
Unfortunately, i cannot answer longevity questions yet...but was designed specifically for PPF, although i'm sure it'll work for prepped paint also.
However, lot of competition from more established ceramic companies to apply directly to paint.

I wrapped my new supercar in Xpel Ultimate, which was a no brainer for me.
Of course, i did need to do some research on installer and Xpel Fusion prior to deciding.
I found it likely would be the perfect solution for my overall budget of tint, ppf and ceramic (budget not to exceed $6k).

If i recall correctly, Xpel Fusion (ceramic) is guaranteed for 4 years as long as i get an annual checkup at my dealer and use a topper periodically.

What i can speak to is gloss/depth....which looks as good as i've seen for PPF/ceramic combo.
Thanks! This helps alot with my decision
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #13
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Back in 1998, I had bought a Supra TT and wanted to find out if there's a some sort of clear tape that I can put on the front of the car to protect it from the road rash.

The research led me to a company out of UK from which I ended up importing a kit and had a local tint shop install it. The install was good but the only problem was, the installer left a hair on the front of the hood that I cringed every day until I sold the car.

So having said that, I have watched the evolution of PPF stuff very closely and have always had one applied on all my cars.

The PPF is as good as the installer is. I was so unhappy with the installers that few months ago I decided to go ahead and get a training and be a certified installer myself.

I have since installed quite a few pieces and though not as flawless as some of the professionals are but good enough to protect the cars and to save lots of money.
Appreciate 1
Blewx5m128.00