BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
White Dragon
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Black Specs on Rear of X5M

Anyone experience black specs on rear of your X5M after a little bit of Driving?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
K-no
Private
Rep
Drives: nissan 350z nismo, Bmw x5M ,x4

looks like tiny bits of tar from a freshly paved road.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

looks like just tar or oil on the road.

People always recommend clay-bar, I'd say try WD-40 on the old micro-fiber first.
Clay-bar is OK if you plan to polish your car afterwards, else you risk marring/scuffing even scratch the paint.

GL
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1568.50
      12-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
blazinpond
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M

Garage List
2019 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post

People always recommend clay-bar, I'd say try WD-40 on the old micro-fiber first.
Clay-bar is OK if you plan to polish your car afterwards, else you risk marring/scuffing even scratch the paint.

GL
Really, people would recommend claying that? Crazy talk...

Honestly, I struggle with WD-40 when a dedicated yet cost effective car product was developed for tar on paint. Not saying it won't work, just saying that a high end detailer would not likely use WD-40 first, second or third in the process of detailing your above referenced car.

_____

OP, there are many quality Iron-X and Tar-x spray that are super effective, and relatively cheap. (assuming the substance on your paint is tar like)

That said, i'd recommend a foaming bath to remove the first layer of whatever will come off, followed by Gyeon Tar-x followed with another foam bath.
Ultimately, you want to minimize touching the car's paint, especially with old microfiber towels.

After my last track weekend at Road Atlanta, i had a ton of rubber goo all over my car (chunks and goo like splatters).
When i sprayed Tar-x it nearly fell off without much of any agitation.

Last edited by blazinpond; 12-04-2019 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
NYC_X5370.00
      12-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinpond View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post

GL
Really, people would recommend claying that? Crazy talk...

Honestly, I struggle with WD-40 when a dedicated yet cost effective car product was developed for tar on paint. Not saying it won't work, just saying that a high end detailer would not likely use WD-40 first, second or third in the process of detailing your above referenced car.

_____

OP, there are many quality Iron-X and Tar-x spray that are super effective, and relatively cheap. (assuming the substance on your paint is tar like)

That said, i'd recommend a foaming bath to remove the first layer of whatever will come off, followed by Gyeon Tar-x followed with another foam bath.
Ultimately, you want to minimize touching the car's paint, especially with old microfiber towels.

After my last track weekend at Road Atlanta, i had a ton of rubber goo all over my car (chunks and goo like splatters).
When i sprayed Tar-x it nearly fell off without much of any agitation.
Agree with blazin! Tar-x is amazing.. Even stoners tarminator is good...good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
White Dragon
Rep

Thanks for the help and comments.

Could it be coming from the exhaust? Seems to wipe off pretty easy? I am not experiencing it on my other cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
syu78
Rep
Drives: X5 F85; 535i F10

Could it be tire dressing "sling"? I've never experienced it on the back of a car, but that's what popped in my head when I saw it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
White Dragon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syu78 View Post
Could it be tire dressing "sling"? I've never experienced it on the back of a car, but that's what popped in my head when I saw it.
I was wondering that as well, so I cleaned the car and all the dressing off and it still showed up.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:33 AM   #9
NikNala
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Large low pressure area there as you go down the road at speed. Most likely exhaust condensation or moisture from the drive mixed with different particulates. Just a guess but the same dark colored stuff has been showing on my X5M lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by syu78 View Post
I was wondering that as well, so I cleaned the car and all the dressing off and it still showed up.
      12-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Slavy
Sly
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dragon View Post
Anyone experience black specs on rear of your X5M after a little bit of Driving?

ive seen similar on my S5 but not that much of it as it was mostly on the lower part of the bumper/trunk. A nice wash and clay job cleaned it all up

Slavy
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
ajgraham
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Nada

I used to get this type of buildup on my old Seat Leon TDi due to the diesel emissions. Never seen it with a petrol engine though. Could be a sign of poor quality fuel or exhaust issue perhaps? If it’s definitely coming from your car, which the location of it indicates, I would have the exhaust checked out as it shouldn’t be putting that out.
Appreciate 0