12-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #178
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
While I wouldn't call myself an aficionado; today I did enjoy the best French Onion soup I've ever eaten.

Meadow brook Restaurant in Hanson MA. https://www.meadowbrookhanson.com/
Love French Onion Soup!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #179
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Couldn't leave Mystic CT without having lunch at Grass & Bone butcher shop & cafe. I had 3 of the Carnitas Tacos and they were spectacular. This place rocks!

https://grassandbonect.com
Attached Images

12-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #180
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Love French Onion Soup!
I used to love it a well.

We stopped for lunch on our way back from Killington and had a bowl for dinner.

That was followed by the worse case of food poisoning that I've ever had. It took almost three days to recover.

To this day I can not order it.....
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #181
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
And a restaurant story.....

A while back the wife and few of the other wifes (five) went to Napa for a girls week out. They rented a nice place up in the hills and made a bunch of reservations to do tours of wineries.

They had one night open so they called French Laundry and were told there was no seating but would take their name and call if something opened up.

So the week comes and they are out have a blast and the free night is upon them. They decide to just go home and drink wine they had discovered that day.

Back t the house, the phone rings and it's the restaurant calling to say they have a cancelation and would the girls like the spot. They talk it out amongst themselves and decide they are all comfortable at home and let the hostess know they will pass.

About 15 minutes later the manager of the restaurant calls back to confirm that they were indeed informed that there was a spot for them..... once confirmed, the manager said that he had never had someone say no.....
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #182
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Love French Onion Soup!

That was followed by the worse case of food poisoning that I've ever had. It took almost three days to recover.

I had the same experience with zeppole once. I guess the oil was bad because I became so sick. I used to love zeppole; now I can barely handle smelling them.
      12-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #183
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
I had the same experience with zeppole once. I guess the oil was bad because I became so sick. I used to love zeppole; now I can barely handle smelling them.
Not food but Long Island Iced Tea's for me. If I even saw one being made I'd gag.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #184
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Chilean Sea Bass with maple bacon, baby bok choy, and sweet potatoes from a nice place near my company's US headquarters. Cuzin's http://www.bestclambar.com
Attached Images

12-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #185
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
And a restaurant story.....

A while back the wife and few of the other wifes (five) went to Napa for a girls week out. They rented a nice place up in the hills and made a bunch of reservations to do tours of wineries.

They had one night open so they called French Laundry and were told there was no seating but would take their name and call if something opened up.

So the week comes and they are out have a blast and the free night is upon them. They decide to just go home and drink wine they had discovered that day.

Back t the house, the phone rings and it's the restaurant calling to say they have a cancelation and would the girls like the spot. They talk it out amongst themselves and decide they are all comfortable at home and let the hostess know they will pass.

About 15 minutes later the manager of the restaurant calls back to confirm that they were indeed informed that there was a spot for them..... once confirmed, the manager said that he had never had someone say no.....
I believe it. It’s so hard to get a table there. You have to call at least 2 months in advance to the day in order to get a reservation there
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #186
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have seen this while traveling overseas. I try to go during off season for this exact reason and so that I don't get lumped into the "obnoxious American" stereotype. LOL.... sad but so true.
Whether you want to get "lumped in" or not, us Europeans can spot an American from a mile away.

What we as Europeans can see right through, is the American trying hard to non-Americanize him/herself for a trip abroad. And why would you? Just be your American self, and enjoy the locals. You'll end up having much more fun.

I'm married to a Texan, and when she comes home to Europe with me, she'll be extra Texas. I absolutely love it.
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11503.00
      12-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #187
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I have seen this while traveling overseas. I try to go during off season for this exact reason and so that I don't get lumped into the "obnoxious American" stereotype. LOL.... sad but so true.
Whether you want to get "lumped in" or not, us Europeans can spot an American from a mile away.

What we as Europeans can see right through, is the American trying hard to non-Americanize him/herself for a trip abroad. And why would you? Just be your American self, and enjoy the locals. You'll end up having much more fun.

I'm married to a Texan, and when she comes home to Europe with me, she'll be extra Texas. I absolutely love it.
I don't hide the fact that I am from the U.S. at all, but prefer to not be in the middle of a pack of American tourists. My wife and I love to travel off the beaten path so we can mingle and socialize with the locals. We almost always rent a car and drive so we can experience the country for what it truly has to offer. We very recently spent 2 weeks driving the Carpathian mountains in Romania, an awesome experience.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #188
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't hide the fact that I am from the U.S. at all, but prefer to not be in the middle of a pack of American tourists. My wife and I love to travel off the beaten path so we can mingle and socialize with the locals. We almost always rent a car and drive so we can experience the country for what it truly has to offer. We very recently spent 2 weeks driving the Carpathian mountains in Romania, an awesome experience.
Player 2 in my travels is valuable, my Gypsy wife speaks 5 languages, fluent in Italian, Spanish and French

our good public school system in Massachusetts teaches kids not Spanish not French but (mandarin) in 20 years the world is going to feel smaller, math and good communication skills with some engineering mixed in will be so valuable in the 2030's (guys it's right around the corner)

Back to the subject: my wife catches locals talk about us all the time, most are pricks in and around Paris, Rome and Barcelona
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11503.00
Tommy-G4467.00
      12-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #189
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
What we as Europeans can see right through, is the American trying hard to non-Americanize him/herself for a trip abroad. And why would you?
Because multi-lingual European locals seem to get amnesia about speaking fluent English when they see us mono-lingual Americans in their countries. I could tell you more than one funny story about how muddling through high school Spanish helped to cure the amnesia, when locals in French/Italian-speaking countries took pity on the dumb Americans in my family.....
      03-02-2021, 07:17 AM   #190
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

FOOD, one of my all time favorite things in life. My wife and I have traveled all over the world and if I could describe my dream job, it would be taking pictures of high end resorts, their food/restaurants and sexy ladies on their beaches.

1-local pizzeria
2-scotch eggs
3-chicken & waffles at Hash house a go-go Orlando
4-bruschetta
5-more local pizza

These are def not my best, just ones I had on my work PC.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M_Six16536.50
      03-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #191
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
... my wife catches locals talk about us all the time, most are pricks in and around Paris...
Most French people living outside Greater Paris hate Parisians.

Most people living in Québec hate Parisian as well
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #192
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Restaurants are closed here in Switzerland. So I cook myself, esch day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0