12-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D

How much do you like your X5/X6?

Guys,

Interested to see your satisfaction with your F15/F16.

How reliable is the car? Any bad surprises? Would you buy it once again?
What do you think about depreciation? X6 seems to be a bit better?

Curious to see your opinions.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
wpTXX5
Rep
Drives: XDrive 35i

I have 2018 X5 xdrive w/ 19k miles that I have been happy with. Just a couple issues:

1. Had to work out some rattles in the dash and sunroof the first 5k miles
2. Just recently had to replace the battery as it went on the fritz
3. Run flat tires suck and make for a harsher ride.

Other than that it is a great vehicle around town and going up snowy mountains to ski. Has a lot of comfort and technology.

I just looked up my current value and it it looks like 30% depreciation after 1.5 years of ownership which is about on par with average depreciation rates (20% first year and then 10%-15% every year after).

If you are concerned about depreciation buy a 4Runner or Landcrusier. I just sold a landcrusier 4k less than I bought it 3 years ago new.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I'm a BMW fan... not driving a landcruiser

Thanks for your reply... you can change run flat to normal tires, can't you?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #4
wpTXX5
Rep
Drives: XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pGtab View Post
I'm a BMW fan... not driving a landcruiser

Thanks for your reply... you can change run flat to normal tires, can't you?
Yes you can swap out the run flats and that is what I am doing this month, you just need to buy the spare tire as well.

One other reason I picked the X5 is the fact that it doesn't change much in aesthetics when it refreshes looks, so it keeps a "timeless" look but that is true for most BMW models.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Have a 2014 35i with 116k miles and only done normal maintenance. I love the way it rides, and is a nice multipurpose vehicle.
Appreciate 2
kanvas644.00
thereef5101164.00
      12-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Mine is a 2018 w/17K. Handles exceptionally well for a vehicle of its size, engine (35i) offers decent power, and provides a very comfortable ride. As far as any issues; so far, so good.

This is my first BMW and am very pleased with, and have no regrets about my X5.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
I like mine a whole bunch. My X5 is my daily driver, and replaced a 2014 Acura MDX. I wanted to step up from the Acura, in luxury and performance. And it's a huge step, in both aspects. Interior is far more luxurious, quieter, has far better materials. Performance-wise, the X5 (with the tune I have on it) beats the MDX to 60 MPH by over 2-1/2 seconds. That's not even close. Handling in the X5 is way more precise and grin-producing.

Of course reliability is a concern, and my X5 has been 100% reliable. Nothing but normal maintenance in 37K miles. I've never had a single malfunction of any sort; I've never pushed a button and had it not do what it was supposed to do, right away with no funny business.
      12-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
M5Fanatics
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 F16 BMW X6 35i

I picked up a demo X6 last week. I've always like the look of the X5's and X6's, my only concern is the power on the N55. After driving the G05 X5's with the B58 engine, the N55's feel sluggish at stock power. Otherwise I love my car!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
deiselpwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35D M Sport

I used to just like mine (2018 35D M sport ). Then I loved it. Came from owning 2 VW Touregs. Loved that vehicle but the X is way more fun to drive. Way faster. More like a sport vehicle as the Toureg was a tank. Unstoppable in all terrain. My love with the X is turning to hate. The Bluetooth and Apple car play is driving me bonkers. One day. It is seamless. Works great. All good. Wake up the next day. Phone won’t pair. Car can’t find phone. Then add another person in the car with a paired phone. Nightmare. I hope it gets resolved soon so I can get back to the Love my ride
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:49 PM   #10
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Had mine since summer of 2014. Til this day I still take a quick glance at it after I park
      12-11-2019, 12:21 AM   #11
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiselpwr View Post
I used to just like mine (2018 35D M sport ). Then I loved it. Came from owning 2 VW Touregs. Loved that vehicle but the X is way more fun to drive. Way faster. More like a sport vehicle as the Toureg was a tank. Unstoppable in all terrain. My love with the X is turning to hate. The Bluetooth and Apple car play is driving me bonkers. One day. It is seamless. Works great. All good. Wake up the next day. Phone won’t pair. Car can’t find phone. Then add another person in the car with a paired phone. Nightmare. I hope it gets resolved soon so I can get back to the Love my ride
Tell me about it. I've never seen such poor Bluetooth performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:57 AM   #12
HydroStream6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

Pretty much fully loaded 2014 50i M Sport. $94k sticker. Bought it used with some miles on it for $30k. I'm banking on the fact that it was well cared for and I can do all the maintenance/repair myself. Up to 96k miles now, no major issues to speak of. I change the oil about twice as often as the computer recommends and check it over a few times a year.

I'm a big guy, and it's super comfortable. It can go through all weather, tow, haul the dogs, etc. I live in the sticks, and the night vision is a lifesaver for deer and other critters. I can't imagine not having it now.

The vehicle is tuned and runs high 11s in the 1/4 and does whatever I ask. My only qualms are the crappy front suspension bits being worn out this early. Doing front control arms here shortly.

Overall, I am in love with the vehicle. Best daily I've ever had. Last daily was a 335.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #13
Fastestcolor
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking

We have a 2017 x5 M-Sport 35i xdrive with 20k on it. It looks and drives great. Only thing I think the sport seats are a little firm. It’s in for service and we have a loaner x5 that more of a “base model”. It drives well but the interior looks like a Nissan Altima. Looks so cheap I can’t believe it’s a bmw. For what this “base model” sells for I’d look elsewhere for a much nicer car for a lot less money.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #14
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

I got a 2015 CPO 50i with a sticker of 78k for around 37k.

I came from a M2, lol but I was doing a lot of winter traveling and wanted a change.

Like others have said I liked it at first but now I truly love it.

I've had thoughts of getting a 5er or going back to something smaller but the X5 is just WAY too practical and my passengers are super comfortable.

I did have one major scare, the drivetrain error followed by limp mode. However this turned out to be a bad coil and was replaced under warranty.

Styling I think is amazing and only feels better as time goes on. People not familiar with the brand think the (real) side vents are just some of the coolest things they've seen on a modern car haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #15
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

I have a 2016 X5 35i. I have 36K miles on the car and have had brake pads and rotors replaced on all 4 wheels. The Sirius radio reception is so poor I canceled the subscription. The steering wheel made a grinding noise when it was retracting to the 'home' position. Dealer replaced the steering column, now something is squeaking under the dash and it gets worse as it gets colder. I couldn't stand the noisy run flat tires and replaced them after 8K miles with regular Michelin all season tires. Much less noisy, smoother ride and handles better. But the ride in my GMC 2500 work truck on the same roads is smoother and quieter than the X5. I have the 'comfort' seats and I find it almost impossible to find a comfortable position where I can drive any length of time. My 2014 VW Jetta is more comfortable, has much better Sirius reception and has become my go to car for trips. I wish I had gone with an Audi rather than the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

I have a '16 X5 xDrive40e for several months now and am only at around 23k miles. Just to make my points, I'll compare it with the RX450h, which was my initial preferred choice (and I've owned Lexus cars for a long time before).

Overall, I'm happier with the X5 than I would have been with the RX450h. I feel the back seats are much larger despite not being that much of a larger car overall and it has many more perks (surround view, etc) than what I could find on the RX (finding an RX450h with surround view was almost impossible). The rear seats also have heating and I feel the controls are better. So far it's been really reliable (again, I've only had it for several months). I feel the engine is way more responsive than the V6 hybrid system in the Lexus and definitely feels quicker on the throttle (although, the RX did well on the highway). The NBT system is far superior to the RX450hs I was looking at (didn't look at the 2020, so can't compare that). I'm sure it would have been even more impressive if I could have found a '17 X5 xdrive40e with iDrive 5/6 to purchase instead. With my commute, the gas mileage has been great! The sound system (Harmon Kardon) is fantastic - I didn't know about the B&O system when I bought mine but I really regretted not having the Mark Levinson system in my previous car so the HK system is something I really appreciate.

Any big issues? None so far. If I was to nitpick, the handling isn't that great - but I'm blaming the goodyear run flat tires - I seriously hate these tires and already had a bubble show on one tire (I had 3 show up on my previous car with Goodyear non-RF tires as well). The steering wheel is mostly good, but the Lexus had a thicker steering wheel which felt better and the steering felt heavier, even in the non F-Sport model. The N20 is loud and cranky when it first turns on, lol. I'm still getting used to having huge windows - not bad, definitely better visibility, just different. Safety is OK, I really like the HUD and the road sign detection, but the BSM isn't that great - I kind of prefer the Lexus Safety System a little more (but I only have the Driving Assistant package and not the plus). I miss cooled seats, but from what I've read, they weren't that great on this car. Other little things... the touch sensitive handles are funny. If the car is unlocked, it will try to unlock again. When I washed my car, it kept on trying to unlock repeatedly. The remote key is really - really easy to accidentally push buttons while in a pocket - that reminds me, i need to get a cover/holder for mine. Oh! one last thing; the windshield wipers are the worst thing ever, lol. It's always too fast, even on the slowest setting. I'm just using the auto mode now, but there are times where it will get stuck going too fast until I do a manual wipe with the stalk and then it'll kind of "reset itself" and calms down.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #17
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8 View Post
I wish I had gone with an Audi rather than the BMW.
I came to BMW from Audi. After test driving Audi’s range of SUVs, found myself completely bored and underwhelmed with the line-up. The Q7 is analogous to driving a bus, the Q5 looks like a dinner roll, and the Q3 will offend none but excite just as many. In fact, I dare say that Audi sedans offer a more compelling lineup. I didn’t have a chance to test drive the Q8; however, whereas Audi is focused more on interior operating systems and electronics than driving dynamics have no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #18
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

I have a 2018 I bought new in March of 19, now customized, and came from an Audi S6. We also have a 2018 Q7 Prestige. Where do I begin? Overall, fit, finish, usability, driving dynamics, options are pretty comparable, etc. are all really good.

The quality of interior materials and how they work in the Audi is 1/4 a step up - more inline with the G05. Q7 and X5 similarly equipped with led lighting strips, nav, heads up, connected drive, carplay, real time traffic, adaptive lights, LED, X5 does not have the digital dash, - Audi's digital dash rock. The driver assistance systems both function about the same, and are also both the same degree of annoying. Audis give more false warnings than the BMW.

Q7 is quieter and smoother, X5 is more sports SUV. So its nice to have both. Q7 has weird rattles that are documented like sunroof, the X5 has creaks that a car with 5k miles on it should not have. Made worse due the M 21's I have on it.

I tuned my X5, so it can be fun to drive, lowered mine, but still not the best handling. Better than the Q7 - no comp to the S6.

Have had almost no issues - 12k miles on the Q, 5k on the X...so neither should. The Q had significant toe, camber, alignment changes when in for the 12k service.

As much as I love the exterior direction of the new Audis, I will be sticking with BMW for dynamics, and getting a 2021 X5.

So, unless I start having issues I'm pretty happy.

Last edited by parkstr8; 12-11-2019 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #19
Jars914
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
Had mine since summer of 2014. Til this day I still take a quick glance at it after I park
Glad I'm not the only one haha sometimes I think my neighbors look at me out their window while I'm walkin away and checkin my car out lol
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #20
Bimmer8520
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Just bought a X35d 2014 about a month ago and it is spitting out errors on adblue when we refilled it. But other than that positive. Nothing else is negative. Great car
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #21
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Mine is a 2015 50i. Zero issues. Not one service complaint only regular scheduled oil changes and regular scheduled maintenance. It has many options. Adaptive suspension, Bang & Olufsen, Night vision, Adaptive Cruise control, Parking Assistant, Driver's Assistant Plus and Rear entertainment just to name a few. I absolutely luv this car. I will purchase one of these again for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #22
pGtab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8 View Post
I have a 2016 X5 35i. I have 36K miles on the car and have had brake pads and rotors replaced on all 4 wheels. The Sirius radio reception is so poor I canceled the subscription. The steering wheel made a grinding noise when it was retracting to the 'home' position. Dealer replaced the steering column, now something is squeaking under the dash and it gets worse as it gets colder. I couldn't stand the noisy run flat tires and replaced them after 8K miles with regular Michelin all season tires. Much less noisy, smoother ride and handles better. But the ride in my GMC 2500 work truck on the same roads is smoother and quieter than the X5. I have the 'comfort' seats and I find it almost impossible to find a comfortable position where I can drive any length of time. My 2014 VW Jetta is more comfortable, has much better Sirius reception and has become my go to car for trips. I wish I had gone with an Audi rather than the BMW.
How come you had to change pads and rotors that soon?
Appreciate 0