BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Boot mod 3

Anyone use this product on their X5M x6m?
      02-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
I tried to get started with them, they have a Facebook page. However, when I asked questions about tune - they weren't able to provide details and ignored me and preferred to answer questions for n54/55 guys. My understanding is that they have good base of tuners using bm3 platform and providing tunes for straight six, but they have limited knowledge about S63/tu or even n63/tu that I was after. All they could do is to act as a middle man between a tuner and me. They just provide a software option to tune my car remotely - basically that's all bm3 is. You choose tuners and maps from their database. The thing is that now with OBD remote tuning option available widely - I can get connected directly to any tuner I want and buy tunes directly from them instead of paying extra for bm3 license. Their software and support is also hit and miss. Just read their FB page and you'll see many users asked questions and never got answers. There's also issues with servers been down periodically and users that paid money and wanted to download a tune were stuck waiting for servers. It seemed a good idea like 6 month ago - when OBD tunes weren't available for remote tuning, but now....... I don't know man
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:
I tried to get started with them, they have a Facebook page. However, when I asked questions about tune - they weren't able to provide details and ignored me and preferred to answer questions for n54/55 guys. My understanding is that they have good base of tuners using bm3 platform and providing tunes for straight six, but they have limited knowledge about S63/tu or even n63/tu that I was after. All they could do is to act as a middle man between a tuner and me. They just provide a software option to tune my car remotely - basically that's all bm3 is. You choose tuners and maps from their database. The thing is that now with OBD remote tuning option available widely - I can get connected directly to any tuner I want and buy tunes directly from them instead of paying extra for bm3 license. Their software and support is also hit and miss. Just read their FB page and you'll see many users asked questions and never got answers. There's also issues with servers been down periodically and users that paid money and wanted to download a tune were stuck waiting for servers. It seemed a good idea like 6 month ago - when OBD tunes weren't available for remote tuning, but now....... I don't know man
What are other options out there, want burble tune and power with a slight chance I Can still use my warranty during a catastrophic failure ( I know a guy who had one in his F85, jb4 total engine replacement... was it the jb4 likely not but it was warrantied
      02-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What are other options out there, want burble tune and power with a slight chance I Can still use my warranty during a catastrophic failure ( I know a guy who had one in his F85, jb4 total engine replacement... was it the jb4 likely not but it was warrantied
You can use any OBD remote tune - they just started to pop up recently, so maybe wait a bit until there is a choice on the market. Previously flashing required physical drilling of DME, but now it can be done remotely via OBD, no drilling required. So with OBD tune you can have a chance to keep warranty (tho it's not 100% because if BMW dealership will want to find out if you were tuned - they will)
Another option is to just use piggyback - and remove it when going to dealership, but piggybacks don't give custom burble tunes - they just trick DME into raising boost, so your best bet is still to go with a proper tune via OBD - google around and I'm sure you will find some remote OBD tune for X5M
Also, all bootmod3 tuners sell their tunes separately - you don't have to buy bm3 for that
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 06:16 AM   #5
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can use any OBD remote tune - they just started to pop up recently, so maybe wait a bit until there is a choice on the market. Previously flashing required physical drilling of DME, but now it can be done remotely via OBD, no drilling required. So with OBD tune you can have a chance to keep warranty (tho it's not 100% because if BMW dealership will want to find out if you were tuned - they will)
Another option is to just use piggyback - and remove it when going to dealership, but piggybacks don't give custom burble tunes - they just trick DME into raising boost, so your best bet is still to go with a proper tune via OBD - google around and I'm sure you will find some remote OBD tune for X5M
Also, all bootmod3 tuners sell their tunes separately - you don't have to buy bm3 for that
I inquired with VF engineering, I'll see where that takes otherwise it's the JB4. Do you tune yours?
      02-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

VF engineering and exhaust burble??

Quote:
I inquired with VF engineering, I'll see where that takes otherwise it's the JB4. Do you tune yours?
i had a VF Engineering tune on my 2013 X5M and am currently running a JB4 on my 2016 X5M. i'm looking to get that exhaust burble. Have you heard sound clips of the VF engineering tune or know if it has the exhaust burble??
      02-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

infamousdiz , have you looked into RaceChip GTS Black?
In addition, tune itself will not cause exhaust burble.
Exhaust burble is caused by slight gas vacuum inside the exhaust system.
So, it will happened if you have high flow of gas then out of a sudden all of those pressure are dropped.
On my F15 X5 sDrive35i and custom exhaust, with the tune, the exhaust burble become more noticeable. But, without the tune, is not as much.
The same with my G30 540i. With MPE and RaceChip GTS Black, the burble sound more noticeable than without the tune.
But, with stock muffler and tune, exhaust burble very hardly happen.
In conclusion, you will need to change the exhaust to less restrictive with the tune to make that happen.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:28 PM   #8
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
So, it will happened if you have high flow of gas then out of a sudden all of those pressure are dropped.
On my F15 X5 sDrive35i and custom exhaust, with the tune, the exhaust burble become more noticeable. But, without the tune, is not as much.
The same with my G30 540i. With MPE and RaceChip GTS Black, the burble sound more noticeable than without the tune.
In conclusion, you will need to change the exhaust to less restrictive with the tune to make that happen.
I'm having a Fi exhaust installed now and already have a JB4 and downpipes. I didn't notice any burble with the downpipes, stock exhaust and JB4. I guess I'll just wait and see what it sounds like with the Fi exhaust and go from there.
      02-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1807 View Post
Quote:
I'm having a Fi exhaust installed now and already have a JB4 and downpipes. I didn't notice any burble with the downpipes, stock exhaust and JB4. I guess I'll just wait and see what it sounds like with the Fi exhaust and go from there.
You will have a big smile on your face because the burble.

Let me know how you like the FI. Cuz I have good story to tell about it. But, I don't want to ruin your enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

I just bought the JB4 and will ride with that
      02-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #11
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Cool, let us know how it will go for you. JB4 is a hit and miss often
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:46 AM   #12
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cool, let us know how it will go for you. JB4 is a hit and miss often
It's was trouble free on my M3 for 36k miles,
      02-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #13
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's a good tech, no doubt. However, we have some forum members who went from JB4 to a DME flash just because JB4 was giving issues (throwing errors, CEL, ignition hiccups etc). Hopefully it will work flawlessly in your car. What about the tech support? I've heard Terry abandoned support for n63tu/s63tu due to low demand
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's a good tech, no doubt. However, we have some forum members who went from JB4 to a DME flash just because JB4 was giving issues (throwing errors, CEL, ignition hiccups etc). Hopefully it will work flawlessly in your car. What about the tech support? I've heard Terry abandoned support for n63tu/s63tu due to low demand
Most are running JB4 with backend, anytime you write into n54 tech they respond. A lot of trouble free M5s. Time Will tell
      02-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
i had a VF Engineering tune on my 2013 X5M and am currently running a JB4 on my 2016 X5M. i'm looking to get that exhaust burble. Have you heard sound clips of the VF engineering tune or know if it has the exhaust burble??
Any issues with the JB4?
      02-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #16
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any race chip dyno pulls? I know JB4 on map 7 with 100oct 640 whp is common
      02-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any race chip dyno pulls? I know JB4 on map 7 with 100oct 640 whp is common
No dyno pulls from the end user AFAIK, but onfireX5 have VBOX data log on them.
I only have dyno pulls data from RaceChip, which I can't and prefer not to use since all the parameters are based on Gas and Climate in Germany.

IMO, if you are going to push to the max with not to worry about reliability, then flash tune has the best result.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
felixleasing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I have an appointment with AutoCouture to get my Stage 1 DME TUNE on a 18 X5M. I had it on my 2015 BMW 650 and it was amazing

Last edited by felixleasing; 02-26-2018 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #19
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any issues with the JB4?
Not at all. Very noticeable power increase.
      02-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #20
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Any issues with the JB4?
Not at all. Very noticeable power increase.
Do you run map 1 or 2, try map 7 with a full take of 100octane......its crazy the power these things make
      02-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #21
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you run map 1 or 2, try map 7 with a full take of 100octane......its crazy the power these things make
I've only run Map 2 but will def. try Map 7 once i get my summer tires back on.
      02-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #22
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've only run Map 2 but will def. try Map 7 once i get my summer tires back on.
Car must be night and day