BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

2017+ nav difference

Hi guys. My 2016 f85 was in for service and I got a g05 as a loaner. Didnt care for the car all that much, but was eager to try out Apple CarPlay. I really liked how well Waze was integrated, which has me thinking of upgrading my 2016. Is CarPlay the same across the board or will it be different? Anyone with a 17+ F85 who tried the latest navs care to comment? I’m assuming the 17+ is not touch screen sensitive like the 2016. As I understand it, the ultimate way would be to retrofit the 2017+ components, but that’s the most expensive route.

TIA,
Chester
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Did you get a quote on the upgrade? I have a '16 F86 and coming from my last car that full CarPlay the lack of using google maps and Waze on the big screen sucks. Going in for service on Nov 5th and expecting the retrofit to be extremely pricey as I believe it requires a full swap of the head unit, not just a software flash.
      11-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep

There's a lot of confusing information out there. From what I gather, the price varies depending on what you do. You definitely need a new head unit, but you can reuse the existing screen or get a newer one. The same applies for the idrive controller. So I think head unit alone would be around $1500 and full swap closer to $2500. I have also heard people saying "this place sucks", "no, that place doesn't sell you US-specific parts", etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexk1012 View Post
Did you get a quote on the upgrade? I have a '16 F86 and coming from my last car that full CarPlay the lack of using google maps and Waze on the big screen sucks. Going in for service on Nov 5th and expecting the retrofit to be extremely pricey as I believe it requires a full swap of the head unit, not just a software flash.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Ah ok. Well I'll let you know what the dealership tells me next week. Retrofitting CarPlay now my old Mazda was 400$ and super easy. Miss those days
      11-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

If you plan on keeping the car forever or if you got it like that then do the retrofit. It's very expensive for minimal gains. Or you can go the Chinese aftermarket route, like I, and alot of forum members , did on my F86. Coming from a non touchscreen nbt screen, the pros of the switch seriously outweighed the cons. For $630, I have a better sharper screen, touchscreen, built in Android, Car play, storage options, a computer on my dash, split screen, widgets etc...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
If you plan on keeping the car forever or if you got it like that then do the retrofit. It's very expensive for minimal gains. Or you can go the Chinese aftermarket route, like I, and alot of forum members , did on my F86. Coming from a non touchscreen nbt screen, the pros of the switch seriously outweighed the cons. For $630, I have a better sharper screen, touchscreen, built in Android, Car play, storage options, a computer on my dash, split screen, widgets etc...
What did you go with? Wouldn't be opposed to looking into it. Usually stick with OEM simply for the reliability but open to others if they are good.
      11-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

I went with this : https://m.aliexpress.com/item/330249...g1572624622788

But most go with the one AvinUsa.com difference is one has 720 screen other 480. Both are fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1566062
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #9
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
Hi guys. My 2016 f85 was in for service and I got a g05 as a loaner. Didnt care for the car all that much, but was eager to try out Apple CarPlay. I really liked how well Waze was integrated, which has me thinking of upgrading my 2016. Is CarPlay the same across the board or will it be different? Anyone with a 17+ F85 who tried the latest navs care to comment? I'm assuming the 17+ is not touch screen sensitive like the 2016. As I understand it, the ultimate way would be to retrofit the 2017+ components, but that's the most expensive route.

TIA,
Chester
I have '17 and it has touch screen and wireless CarPlay from the factory. I updated to the full screen option last year. So far it's been amazing 😇 I can choose from Apple, google and Waze.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #10
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Shortly after I posted the thread, I realized the '17+ had touch screens. Can you provide more info when you talk about full screen option? Was it going from ID5 to ID6? What was involved? Have you ever tried playing media through a USB stick and using Carplay? If a nav instruction comes up through Waze on Carplay, will the music audio be muted? I think when I used Carplay in the G05 and had music going through Carplay's music app (sourcing music from my phone), there would be random cuts in audio...just a momentary blip. It didn't happen often, but that was annoying. As far as I could tell, nothing else was happening on the phone (incoming text, emai, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
I have '17 and it has touch screen and wireless CarPlay from the factory. I updated to the full screen option last year. So far it's been amazing 😇 I can choose from Apple, google and Waze.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Shortly after I posted the thread, I realized the '17+ had touch screens. Can you provide more info when you talk about full screen option? Was it going from ID5 to ID6? What was involved? Have you ever tried playing media through a USB stick and using Carplay? If a nav instruction comes up through Waze on Carplay, will the music audio be muted? I think when I used Carplay in the G05 and had music going through Carplay's music app (sourcing music from my phone), there would be random cuts in audio...just a momentary blip. It didn't happen often, but that was annoying. As far as I could tell, nothing else was happening on the phone (incoming text, emai, etc).

Quote:
Honestly I've had both and it's such a minimal difference. You may be enamored by the features for days but the usage of the tools will subside. If I were you I'd save the money and when you are ready to upgrade your car get those added features.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just picked up the car a few months ago and hope to get 10+ years out of it. The F85 is a huge step up in terms of creature comforts from my former daily driver, a '02 M5. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get what I want out of it and call it a day. Perhaps I don't need touch, but I think CarPlay with Waze, txt (does it do email too?) will satisfy all of my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah View Post
Honestly I've had both and it's such a minimal difference. You may be enamored by the features for days but the usage of the tools will subside. If I were you I'd save the money and when you are ready to upgrade your car get those added features.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #13
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
I just picked up the car a few months ago and hope to get 10+ years out of it. The F85 is a huge step up in terms of creature comforts from my former daily driver, a '02 M5. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get what I want out of it and call it a day. Perhaps I don't need touch, but I think CarPlay with Waze, txt (does it do email too?) will satisfy all of my needs.

Quote:
If you will keep for that long. The OEM idrive swap would make the most sense. I know there are a few threads of people doing the swap for a few thousand.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #14
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

when the native carplay runs on a 2017+ it uses only 3/4 of the screen. the other 1/4 of the screen is used by idrive. so there are now companies who can provide a service which will allow carplay to run in the full screen mode. you just connect obdII cable from car to your laptop. then they can update the NBTevo firmware remotely.

fullscreen mode in carplay will make maps, music player or anything running on carplay look cleaner. but this full screen mode is only for carplay so if you switch out of carplay back to idrive it's back to normal. the full screen carplay is the way it should of came on the 2017+ but bmw decided not to do it this way. i believe carplay came about on idrive5 but it's also available on idrive6. my 2017 has idrive5. as for usb stick movies, carplay does not play movies. you'll have to do that on the idrive mode.

when i carplay map modes, you can play music from apple, FM, satellite or CD. when the map notifies for a turn, it will lower the music volume.

Quote:
Appreciate 2
A.dot234.50
      11-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #15
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

IMHO,

having carplay and not is very subjective. if i can choce to have carplay, i would. actually i purchased my '17 x5m vs many '16 x5m on the market at the time because of carplay. i think i paid $10k more for '17 vs '16, but not only was i getting lesser miles on the vehicle but i was getting wireless carplay and wireless charging. these were features i considered modding into a '16 car as idrive swapping/coding can be done remotely these days..

i use it daily and love it i would of done the swap/upgrade if i had purchased a '16.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Agreed; however, when I was shopping, I didn't know the differences. DOH! Also, I wanted LBB/Aragon where only 59 were made in that combo (I'm guessing across all years) and shipped to North America (7 went to Canada). My car had 24k miles and cost $60k. I'm not sold on wireless charging since the charge rate is crazy slow...give me PD over USB-C for 14+ watts of juice. Already replaced the aluminum trim pieces with carbon fiber and now it's only CarPlay =)

Quote:
IMHO,

having carplay and not is very subjective. if i can choce to have carplay, i would. actually i purchased my '17 x5m vs many '16 x5m on the market at the time because of carplay. i think i paid $10k more for '17 vs '16, but not only was i getting lesser miles on the vehicle but i was getting wireless carplay and wireless charging. these were features i considered modding into a '16 car as idrive swapping/coding can be done remotely these days..

i use it daily and love it i would of done the swap/upgrade if i had purchased a '16.

Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #17
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Agreed; however, when I was shopping, I didn't know the differences. DOH! Also, I wanted LBB/Aragon where only 59 were made in that combo (I'm guessing across all years) and shipped to North America (7 went to Canada). My car had 24k miles and cost $60k. I'm not sold on wireless charging since the charge rate is crazy slow...give me PD over USB-C for 14+ watts of juice. Already replaced the aluminum trim pieces with carbon fiber and now it's only CarPlay =)

Quote:
IMHO,

Where did you read about their only being 59 of that color combination being made?
      12-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #18
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Seems a strange thing to claim since people can custom order what color combo they want?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #19
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelid View Post
Seems a strange thing to claim since people can custom order what color combo they want?
Yeah but you can't custom order your paint and interior on a used car. That door is closed now and so we're left with what others built if going pre-owned route. You could also argue it adds value if desirable due to laws of supply/demand.
      12-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #20
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

you could also argue that it is an unpopular color combination, making it less valuable, if so few custom orders were requested?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:50 AM   #21
ChanF15
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 50i

IMO, you can get an NBT retrofit from sites like BimmerTech and others. The options a limitless (to a certain extent) but those options cater to almost every feature our current previous production year vehicles didn't have.

Customizer Beware: Do your research, understand the components you'll need and the labor behind doing one of those electronic retrofits. You don't wanna order something that your specific BMW wasn't prewired for or unable to be updated to.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #22
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastelid View Post
you could also argue that it is an unpopular color combination, making it less valuable, if so few custom orders were requested?
I don't see it that way at all. Many folks get the normal colors combos..white on black, black on black.... It could be they don't want to stand out or the perceived inability to resell down the road. What ends up happening down the road is it will command a premium. Sure, it might take a little longer to find the right buyer, but that buyer does exist. If you custom ordered a fire orange e90m3 with a stick and sunroof delete...it will definitely command a premium over a "run of the mill" e90 m3. While slightly different, the same was true with Ferrari's F430...the last of the mid engine cars you could get with a stick. People opted against the stick because a lot of people either don't have the skill or desire to row their own gears. Now? A F430 with the F1 tranny is in the $90k range and ones with the 6spd are near $200k.

For whatever reason, there weren't that many who opted for Long Beach Blue and, when they did, opted for either a black interior or silver. I think the shocking blue goes great with the rich aragon brown interior.
Appreciate 0