BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
alpha_x5m
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Which exhaust + downpipe combo?

New f85 owner Car gets delivered next week, and I already have a list of mods to get started on.

One thing I've had a tough time with is choosing between the following combinations:
1. FI exhaust with catless FI downpipes
2. Eisenmann race exhaust with catless ER downpipes

I know the eisenmann race is loud, but my main concern is drone. Which of these combinations would have the least drone? If you wouldn't choose either of the two, what combination do you think is better/has less drone (definitely want it to be louder than stock, otherwise defeats half the purpose of upgrading).
Appreciate 1
zjaiz180.00
      11-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I am having VRSF catless DP and Fi valvetronic cat back installed by my mechanic. Bought the DPs new and the Fi used. Should be done tomorrow. Will post some feedback on weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #3
zjaiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MComp

eisennmann race and er dp here!!! had the setup for 2 years now.. which agg burbles! race has no valves on it while the fi exhaust is valved just so you know
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjaiz View Post
eisennmann race and er dp here!!! had the setup for 2 years now.. which agg burbles! race has no valves on it while the fi exhaust is valved just so you know
Can you post some videos of the exhaust sound?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #5
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drove around for about 15 mins with my new Fi and catless VRSF DPs. Loving it. It sounds great with valves open, revving and driving. Quiet with valves closed.

Even with valves closed, cold start is hella loud. And I mean loud. With valves open it is crazy load. I will be doing BM3 stage 2 right away and will delete cold start.

Even got a thumbs up from random guy in Kia Sorrento at a stop light.

No highway driving to test drone.

Will get some video and post later.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
zjaiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
Quote:
Can you post some videos of the exhaust sound?
sure.. il try to get take some video tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

FI DP and exhaust. Probably the best combo I ever had. Good quality and fit. I didn't find it loud when closed, but very load when opened. I would get the cold start coded out. Also, I enjoyed having the option to open or close the exhaust no matter what M mode I was in. Tried uploading a video, but wouldn't upload.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Stock exhaust with AR DPs is what I run. DP brand doesn't matter unless their are cheap tinny ones that will allow you to hear waste-gate rattle easily and they dont allow for proper mating with the manifold.. Decided on the stock exhaust for both the F10 M5 and the F85 to keep the cars somewhat civilized. If you're installing yourselfm, the F85 has brackets that are very difficult to access without a lift and special tools https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The F10 was cake.

With catless and stock exhaust its loud, and sounds amazing. I'm tempted to grab a Dinan exhaust but I'm just so happy with the stock i'll hold off.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #9
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Stock exhaust with AR DPs is what I run. DP brand doesn't matter unless their are cheap tinny ones that will allow you to hear waste-gate rattle easily and they dont allow for proper mating with the manifold.. Decided on the stock exhaust for both the F10 M5 and the F85 to keep the cars somewhat civilized. If you're installing yourselfm, the F85 has brackets that are very difficult to access without a lift and special tools https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The F10 was cake.

With catless and stock exhaust its loud, and sounds amazing. I'm tempted to grab a Dinan exhaust but I'm just so happy with the stock i'll hold off.
Any sound clip? I love the OEM Exhaust and I will like to keep this and just add catless dp. I just need to find a somehow decent priced 3.5" dp. So far the best deal I was offered was of 1100$ + import tax
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #10
alpha_x5m
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3085258 View Post
I am having VRSF catless DP and Fi valvetronic cat back installed by my mechanic. Bought the DPs new and the Fi used. Should be done tomorrow. Will post some feedback on weekend.
Would love to hear your feedback on it. And damn, used FI exhaust? That's a great way to get a solid deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
alpha_x5m
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Yep, manually controlled valves on the FI are definitely a plus...but the $2,000 price difference may not be. If your car has 600+ HP it should sound like it.

Drone is my biggest worry!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #12
zjaiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

trying to upload the
video but i
dont know how send me your number and il send it to you instead
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #13
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM View Post
Any sound clip? I love the OEM Exhaust and I will like to keep this and just add catless dp. I just need to find a somehow decent priced 3.5" dp. So far the best deal I was offered was of 1100$ + import tax
Just gut your stock pipes. I'll try to get a sound clip.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #14
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I would not have bought it new. Too expensive. I was going to put e cut outs just before the muffler to have a louder mode.

With valves open there is drone at low cruising RPMs. I will have to check the rpm again. It is very and I mean very loud with the valves open at WOT. Or on manual down shift in sport (level 3?). Sound is amazing. Regular acceleration is fairly loud and Sound is good if a bit industrial like most turbo cars.

With valves closed, no drone and can't hear any exhaust noise inside car at all.

Haven't had time to get video.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:55 AM   #15
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Running FI with Downpipe’s with high flow cats. I couldn’t imagine those with catless DP. With valves open car is really loud. Cold start as mentioned is crazy loud. I am running bm3 and actually turned cold start back on to hopefully extend the life of my cats

With valves closed sound is perfect for day to
Day. Def hear the difference and not too much.

I love my FI system. One of the most unique sounding systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3085258 View Post
I would not have bought it new. Too expensive. I was going to put e cut outs just before the muffler to have a louder mode.

With valves open there is drone at low cruising RPMs. I will have to check the rpm again. It is very and I mean very loud with the valves open at WOT. Or on manual down shift in sport (level 3?). Sound is amazing. Regular acceleration is fairly loud and Sound is good if a bit industrial like most turbo cars.

With valves closed, no drone and can't hear any exhaust noise inside car at all.

Haven't had time to get video.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:07 PM   #16
ICBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Just gut your stock pipes. I'll try to get a sound clip.
That's not an option. One day I will need them back. I rather get some cheap Chinese ones. But that's not really a option either, I like to have things properly done. I just want to know if going catless dp with stock exhaust would improve the sound or make it worse? Most of the bmw's I heard these days with aftermarket exhaust or dp doesn't sound very well... most of the time they are getting worse. That's what I am being afraid. Right now, I love the way x6m sounds on sport plus. If I can at least keep that sound or make it better that would be nice. I am tired of previous experience in the past with aftermarket systems, I don't want to hear any exhaust drone anymore. I have enough from my sq5..

Last edited by ICBM; 11-29-2019 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 12:12 AM   #17
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Running FI with Downpipe’s with high flow cats. I couldn’t imagine those with catless DP. With valves open car is really loud. Cold start as mentioned is crazy loud. I am running bm3 and actually turned cold start back on to hopefully extend the life of my cats

In you opinion, how loud is it with cold start delete compare to cold start on? In the scale 1 is quiet 10 crazy loud.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #18
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewlock View Post
Quote:
Running FI with Downpipe's with high flow cats. I couldn't imagine those with catless DP. With valves open car is really loud. Cold start as mentioned is crazy loud. I am running bm3 and actually turned cold start back on to hopefully extend the life of my cats

In you opinion, how loud is it with cold start delete compare to cold start on? In the scale 1 is quiet 10 crazy loud.

I have VRSF catless DP and Fi cat back, just did cold start delete with BM3. With valves closed it is as quiet or quieter than stock cold start. Sounds the same as a warm start.
Appreciate 2
      12-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #19
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Finally got a video of my Fi and VRSF DP revving engine.
Appreciate 1
pdX5M111.50
      12-23-2019, 12:35 AM   #20
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Oh it’s night and day difference.

Cold start delete is literally like 1 and with it on like a 8. Remember I still have high flow cats. My garage rumbles and shakes with the cold start on. Couldn’t imagine catless

Sure my neighbor is not a fan of my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewlock View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:38 PM   #21
f85pepe
Rep
Drives: f85 x5m

Quote:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, I currently have the FI exhaust and debating whether to get catless or catted dp's and found this thread, do you happen to have a video of your exhaust, specifically a drive by?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 08:14 AM   #22
MBoss_F86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

RK Autowerks catless DPs, Dinan axle back, X-pipe. MHD stage 2 with cold start turned off

Video 1 - valves opened around 8 secs
Video 2 - valves closed, comfort mode
Video 3 - valves open, sport plus mode

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8952...1894040233920/
Appreciate 0