BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
eddieng
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Question X6 F16 too bouncy

I just got a like-new 2018 X6 F16 xDrive35i with 10K miles on it, the first thing I notice is the ride quality. Although the car is very quiet and soft on the bump, it bounces/sways too much. Going through just slightly uneven road, or even going very slowly over the bumpers makes the car bounce several times. This, along with hard sport seat, makes me feel tired after driving, even for a short trip. At high speed, sometimes this can be dangerous because the bounces even move my hands on steering wheel.
My old car (Mazda CX-9) is noisier on the road and feel harder on the bump, but it was so stable at the seat. I never notice or concern about the bounce, except for very bad road. My other cars before that was all sedans so no comparison here.
So my question is: Is the sporty X6 supposed to be like that? Is there anything I need to check to make sure it is not faulty (it is very hard where I am from to find another one to test drive. I already did basic checks on wheel alignment, tyre defects and pressure)? If that is how it supposed to be, what can I do to make it feel better for me? Does replacing the hard coil spring or tires help?
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieng View Post
I just got a like-new 2018 X6 F16 xDrive35i with 10K miles on it, the first thing I notice is the ride quality. Although the car is very quiet and soft on the bump, it bounces/sways too much. Going through just slightly uneven road, or even going very slowly over the bumpers makes the car bounce several times. This, along with hard sport seat, makes me feel tired after driving, even for a short trip. At high speed, sometimes this can be dangerous because the bounces even move my hands on steering wheel.
My old car (Mazda CX-9) is noisier on the road and feel harder on the bump, but it was so stable at the seat. I never notice or concern about the bounce, except for very bad road. My other cars before that was all sedans so no comparison here.
So my question is: Is the sporty X6 supposed to be like that? Is there anything I need to check to make sure it is not faulty (it is very hard where I am from to find another one to test drive. I already did basic checks on wheel alignment, tyre defects and pressure)? If that is how it supposed to be, what can I do to make it feel better for me? Does replacing the hard coil spring or tires help?

If you have runflat tires most likely the reason why

Last edited by 201; 12-08-2019 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
M5Fanatics
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 F16 BMW X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieng View Post
I also just picked up an X6, I did notice that the car rides harsher than the F15's. I think it has a more aggressive suspension setup and it can also be the type of tire you're using.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
x6spacegrey
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Garage List
2016 BMW X6  [0.00]
I don't think your car is broken.

I had the same thoughts as you when I first got my car (came from an Audi S3). Not sure if your car has Adaptive M suspension, but setting it to the stiffer suspension setting definitely helps get rid of the bounce.

Now, after having the car for about 7 months, I prefer the "bouncy setting" for daily driving over the stiffer suspension setting.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

See my review on Bilstein B6 shocks.
Add some lowering w/Eibach springs and you should be ok.
Alternatives are KW3 or Silver coilovers, w/better, but perhaps harsher ride, too.
Appreciate 0