12-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
Shuja_a
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Competition

Garage List
Downpipes Install

Just got in my set of VSRF downpipes and every shop here in Minnesota wants 1.3k or even more. Does that sound right. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I don't mind spending the cash but just seems so out there 3x what the pipes costed haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #2
NikNala
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuja_a View Post
Just got in my set of VSRF downpipes and every shop here in Minnesota wants 1.3k or even more. Does that sound right. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I don't mind spending the cash but just seems so out there 3x what the pipes costed haha.
Sounds a bit excessive. I'm doing the job this weekend and I can report back. A lot of little jobs to do but here is the actual removal of the manifold and replacement.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ter/1VnYZ4GhQF
      12-10-2019, 01:42 AM   #3
superkevin813
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
I have installed downpipe myself.
The most difficult part is to remove and install cylinder5-8 cat without remove transmission oil line
Appreciate 1
NikNala75.00
      12-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
That's like 8 hours of labor! Ha!

Did you contact a Indy shop, one that does performance upgrades?
      12-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #5
Shuja_a
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
That's like 8 hours of labor! Ha!

Did you contact a Indy shop, one that does performance upgrades?
Yes all the shops I have inquired are all performance shops specializing in higher end euro cars. Maybe that is why as well the prices are little up there. Still on the hunt hahah
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

It’s not an easy job. Mechanic has to lay on top of the car. I paid 750 in the Bay Area which everything is expensive. In low cost areas it should be around 500

It’s not rocket science. Just manual labor. To be honest any mechanic can do it if wiling to mess with the cat removal

Quote:
Yes all the shops I have inquired are all performance shops specializing in higher end euro cars. Maybe that is why as well the prices are little up there. Still on the hunt hahah
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12952.50
      12-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
NikNala
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkevin813 View Post
Quote:
The most difficult part is to remove and install cylinder5-8 cat without remove transmission oil line
This is by far the hardest part. I don't know how I finally got the driver's side downpipe out but I'm glad I did. The VRSF downpipes go in much easier.
      12-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
superkevin813
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNala View Post
Quote:
Quote:
This is by far the hardest part. I don't know how I finally got the driver's side downpipe out but I'm glad I did. The VRSF downpipes go in much easier.
yeah, shop will for sure happy to have extra charge on detaching/attaching trans oil line, refill trans oil, run ISTA to adapt. but it will be a good opportunity to flush ur trans fluid.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #9
NikNala
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNala View Post
Quote:
Quote:
yeah, shop will for sure happy to have extra charge on detaching/attaching trans oil line, refill trans oil, run ISTA to adapt. but it will be a good opportunity to flush ur trans fluid.
Most definitely. I'd rather just do it myself and know it's done right. Without the cats in the downpipe it has a little rasp around 3k rpms so I'm going to get some Vibrant 1792 bottle resonators installed. I like the volume just not rasp. The vibrant resonators have fixed it on other cars I've had and looking around the M5 guys have used them as well. I hope it does because otherwise I'm getting high flow catted downpipes.
      12-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #10
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

It took us less than 3 hours. We're a Corvette shop and have never done these before, but it was no big deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #11
1badttx5m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4 x5m

I just installed my downpipes the other day, it was easy and straight forward. The transmission lines aren’t even bad to get around, I didn’t have to remove mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
superkevin813
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieA View Post
I just installed my downpipes the other day, it was easy and straight forward. The transmission lines aren't even bad to get around, I didn't have to remove mine.
Congrats to ur downpipe.
I think it depends on the aftermarket dp fitment.
the one I got ER high flow catted is really tight into position.
The AA one has better fitment and I install it without any trouble.
ISTA instructions are just recommendations and it even ask to remove vacuum pump.
Dealer will be happy to follow KSD to charge customer
Appreciate 0