BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
B0bD
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

261,000mkm in a 2014 35d

I have not posted here before, but have extracted a lot of good information.
From time to time I see threads a bout high mileage cars, so thought I'd share my experience - might be useful to someone.
Bought an X5 Dec 2015 with 90,000 km on it, through BMW CPO. At that time, CPO added a year of warranty, out to 160,000 km; for an additional $700 BMW sold me another year and out to 200,000 km. So I left the dealership with over 4 years and 110,000 km of full BMW warranty.
Tremendous car - X line with the ventilated comforts sets, and a factory hitch.

It has been serviced at BMW for its whole life, other than a couple of things I do myself.

Early on it would occasionally go into limp mode when floored; never found the root cause but sticking to name brand diesel seems to help.
Up until 175,000 km, never did anything but routine service, brakes, and tires.
After 140,000 km, I started buying brake rotors and pads every second year and installing them myself - in our winters the discs go rusty and make a mess, without ever wearing out.

At 178,000, replace lower control arms, SCR catalyst, and particle sensor (all warranty)

At 195,000, there was a whistling noise from the engine compartment. Dealer thought it was the EGR valve, so replaced the EGR cooler and the valve. Didn't solve the problem, which was eventually traced to the turbo - there was some damage to the impeller.
Pure luck that this happened 5000km before the end of hte warranty.
Apparently turbo failures are extremely rare.
Front sway bar links and tie rod ends were replaced.

All good until 258,000, when I started getting EGR and NOx sensor faults ( I have Carly and ISTA).

Traced the EGR fault to the auxiliary cooler - the spring had broken and jammed. Managed to remove the spring to free up the lever, and that cleared the fault. I added an external spring just in case.

The NOx faults didn't clear; BMW recommended replacing both, even though only the front was faluting.

I decided that it was time to move from the dealership to an independent shop, or do more things myself.
I decided to try a Chinese sourced sensor, and spliced it into the harness, keeping the BMW electronics., It cleared one fault but two others appeared, so I had the sensor replaced with a proper one, which fixed the issue ( expensively).
I also replaced one front wheel bearing.

All of this led me to decide that it was time that the car was owned by someone willing to fool around with the various things that will continue to need attention. Also,a DPF analysis showed that it will be done in about 35000km. Probably the next owner should do an EGR delete, but I decided I didn't want to mess around with that.

So a couple of days ago I replaced it with a 2021 X5 M40i,

All in all, the extended warranty saved my bacon. Without it, the various warranty repairs would have cost me well over $10,000. Because all these expensive things had been changed, it was tempting to keep it and go for another 100,000 km, but I have other cars that I prefer to spend time on.

Anyway, I hope this is of some use, if nothing else just a heads up as the cars age.
      08-14-2022, 06:09 AM   #2
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Thanks for the info. Seems to be fairly similar issues to my E70 35D which I kept till 240k km. I'm only at 71 k km on my F15 35D so it seems I still have a lot of life left