BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #199
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Sorry to bring up an old thread but anyone know if I can get the template alone?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #200
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrabbi View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread but anyone know if I can get the template alone?
No you cannot unfortunately. I researched this to the ends of the Earth last year and convinced a dealer to install the winglets.
      03-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #201
NYC_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘16 X5

For the rear diffuser, is it possible to get just the bracket? Or any way install the diffuser without one?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #202
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ View Post
F15/F16 M perf lips seem different than other lips with the huge gap of nothing in the middle which with all that down force will eventually make the front of the lip gap if put on with just tape. Ive reinstalled my lip 3 times at shops using everything from 3m vhb,3m automotive and gorilla tape prepping it well sanding it down using 3m adhesion promoter but each and everytime after a few weeks of highway driving the front starts to gap little by little which then my ocd kicks in. I eventually had it betalinked at the dealer and after a month it's rock hard with no gaps now I don't have to check my lip everytime I get in and out of my car..
Old thread, but thought I'd respond. I have the M Performance CF front diffuser on mine for at least 6 months now and what you say is true about 3M vs. betalink. I first went with 3M (done twice professionally) and now with betalink. A couple of observations for me:

1. 3M VHB tape will definitely hold the bumper, but it is almost impossible to remove the small gaps between the bumper and the diffuser, and depending on how OCD you are, it might or might not bother you. To me, after a while I can see the top of the brackets since the 3M tape will expand a bit, especially once water gets in there etc...most won't notice it.

2. betalink is permanent, in that it is literally glued to the bumper. With 3M, you can move the diffuser a bit by tugging on it. However, even with the 3M route, you are still drilling holes in the bumper. Plus, who would want to remove the diffuser once you have it there?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:11 PM   #203
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_X5 View Post
For the rear diffuser, is it possible to get just the bracket? Or any way install the diffuser without one?
My rear diffuser is just bolted on.

Here is mine - front and back. The front here is still with 3M. Next week, I'll reinstall with betalink at the dealer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #204
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

My eBay sourced rear diffuser didn't come with templates and the bracket holes don't properly lined up with the existing bumper bolts. Best I can do is eyeball it to make sure it is centered and level.

Will have to do the same with the side winglets. As long as they both are evenly spaced and flush against the bumper it shouldn't really matter as you need to drill fresh holes anyway. I doubt exact placement will matter unless you make direct measured comparison to a factory template installation.

Probably going to install mine end of next month when I get home. I also got the front lip as a package with the rear diffuser but I am not going to install that as I prefer and have ordered a Maxton part.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 09:18 PM   #205
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

good read but i guess i'm not understanding why you would use VHB tape over the betalink? Isn't the point of using VHB tape so that you dont have to drill into your bumper? I still see the OP has drilled his brackets into the bumper AND THEN used VHB? If you're gonna drill into the bumper, just use the betalink on the lip to the bracket. Just my opinion, but i dont see the benefit of VHB in this application unless it omits screwing new holes into the bumpers
      01-29-2023, 10:19 PM   #206
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
good read but i guess i'm not understanding why you would use VHB tape over the betalink? Isn't the point of using VHB tape so that you dont have to drill into your bumper? I still see the OP has drilled his brackets into the bumper AND THEN used VHB? If you're gonna drill into the bumper, just use the betalink on the lip to the bracket. Just my opinion, but i dont see the benefit of VHB in this application unless it omits screwing new holes into the bumpers
Main purpose for using VHB over betalink is that you can remove the splitter/diffuser later on if desired.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 10:30 PM   #207
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Main purpose for using VHB over betalink is that you can remove the splitter/diffuser later on if desired.
but you're left with holes in the bumper from the bracket?
      01-30-2023, 08:26 AM   #208
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
but you're left with holes in the bumper from the bracket?
Yes I suppose those would have to be filled and theoretically repainted? I am pretty sure I’ve seen it done, but I personally would prefer the betalink route myself. Seems the removal to part out is more trouble than it’s worth, but seems that people do it, especially on the X5M/X6M side.
Appreciate 0