BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

08-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #133
Wasa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 E60 M5 F82 M4 F85 X5M

Anyone here tried carbon front lip offered from JL ? I want to make sure fitment before i order .
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 01:51 AM   #134
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 XDrive 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTWW View Post
I tried the RW Carbon components. Rear diffuser wouldn't ever fit right and wasn't going to and they acknowledged it. Got a full refund and they were easy to work with. Unfortunately I tried to install the rear spoiler and it had some flex in it and began to pull up the ends. I have already ordered the BMW version and will be ordering the rear piece as well. I have to throw away that spoiler, which was about $275.

The front lip has been a bit of a hassle. Like the other person, it didn't come with the Z bracket but did come with the others. It has taken a bit of effort and I might try one more time or see if using betalink would help it. It is a decent piece but fit might be 95%. It might work but certainly needs some effort.

Hopefully this helps.
Hi!
Just ordered the rear diffuser from RW Carbon.
I just wish that I have read this thread first!
Anybody else have similar experience with RW Carbon Fiber Fit?
I wonder if I can just cancel my order before it ships...
Hoping to save some dough but now I'm worried sick.
Thank you.

Update:
decided to cancel and just swallow the 15% restocking fee.
I still want to know if anybody has any experience with the RW Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser.
Thanks!

Last edited by F15d_RN; 09-11-2018 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #135
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasa View Post
Anyone here tried carbon front lip offered from JL ? I want to make sure fitment before i order .
Did you end up buying from JL?
I returned the rear diffuser from RW carbon due to bad fitment review in this forum.
I'm hoping to find out if u bought from JL.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #136
Wasa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15d_RN View Post
I returned the rear diffuser from RW carbon due to bad fitment review in this forum.
Thanks!
I havent order from JL . Im kind hestiated after reading bad fitment from aftermarket vendors .
Im waiting for some feedback as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #137
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks!
I havent order from JL . Im kind hestiated after reading bad fitment from aftermarket vendors .
me too.
i guess i just have to save up a little more for the oem or convince myself that I don't want it. Haha

Last edited by F15d_RN; 09-11-2018 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:46 AM   #138
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey!
After chatting with JL representative, I decided to take the plunge tonight and order the CF Rear diffuser.
He guaranteed fitment and mentioned that it is actually an easy DIY since the bracket has been molded into the diffuser.
I will let u and the forum know when I install it.
Goodluck to me...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #139
Wasa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey!
After chatting with JL representative, I decided to take the plunge tonight and order the CF Rear diffuser.
He guaranteed fitment and mentioned that it is actually an easy DIY since the bracket has been molded into the diffuser.
Goodluck to me...

Let me know , did you ask about front lip as well? Does it come with bracket installed for easy installation ? Im hoping fitment is as good as say.

Appreciate 1
F15d_RN50.50
      09-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #140
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey!
Goodluck to me...

Let me know , did you ask about front lip as well? Does it come with bracket installed for easy installation ? Im hoping fitment is as good as say.

Yes, he guaranteed fitment as well but I didn't ask about installation.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #141
mindcontrollerone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 / 2015 X5

Quote:
Quote:
I tried the RW Carbon components. Rear diffuser wouldn't ever fit right and wasn't going to and they acknowledged it. Got a full refund and they were easy to work with. Unfortunately I tried to install the rear spoiler and it had some flex in it and began to pull up the ends. I have already ordered the BMW version and will be ordering the rear piece as well. I have to throw away that spoiler, which was about $275.

The front lip has been a bit of a hassle. Like the other person, it didn't come with the Z bracket but did come with the others. It has taken a bit of effort and I might try one more time or see if using betalink would help it. It is a decent piece but fit might be 95%. It might work but certainly needs some effort.

Hopefully this helps.
Hi!
Thank you.

Update:
I still want to know if anybody has any experience with the RW Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser.
Thanks!
I have front and back from RW Carbon. The front is solid, comes with brackets. The error I see others making is just using tape. It's big and creates down force, if you decide to use tape you need to drill a couple of additional holes to provide support. The other options would be betalink... even then I think I'd drill some holes.

The rear diffuser was more of challenge... I've seen some use the bracket, I went without. It works... professional installation highly recommended!
Appreciate 1
F15d_RN50.50
      09-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #142
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcontrollerone View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Hopefully this helps.
Hi!
Thank you.

Update:
Thanks!
I have front and back from RW Carbon. The front is solid, comes with brackets. The error I see others making is just using tape. It's big and creates down force, if you decide to use tape you need to drill a couple of additional holes to provide support. The other options would be betalink... even then I think I'd drill some holes.

The rear diffuser was more of challenge... I've seen some use the bracket, I went without. It works... professional installation highly recommended!
Thanks for ur reply.
I went with JL CF.
I'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #143
mp25
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 x5

Whats the link to JL? I ordered the Ikon one off ebay, but there are no brackets. Still deciding on keeping it or not if I can source some brackets. The Ikon one seemed kind of cheap, someone filled in the scratches on the back side with permanent marker and I still need to check fitment. After seeing the sharpie action and no brackets, I just put it back in the box.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #144
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

In all my years of modding i've yet to buy any chinese carbon rep parts that fit to my liking. Yes they are much cheaper which makes them tempting but the frustration getting it to fit right while you are laying on the ground getting bit up by mosquitoes is just not worth it. Even when you can get it installed to a tolerable level the clear coat on inferior carbon usually starts cracking and fading. Time is also a luxury I don't have anymore with two kids so I don't have time messing around with poor fitting parts. MP parts goes on and fits like a glove. Same for my previous X5's and now my M3.

Alan
      09-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #145
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp25 View Post
Whats the link to JL? I ordered the Ikon one off ebay, but there are no brackets. Still deciding on keeping it or not if I can source some brackets. The Ikon one seemed kind of cheap, someone filled in the scratches on the back side with permanent marker and I still need to check fitment. After seeing the sharpie action and no brackets, I just put it back in the box.
http://www.jl-motoring.com
My order is arriving today.
I will update the forum with pictures when i get it later.
Appreciate 1
mp2527.00
      09-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #146
euro-r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW X5 | MSport | MPPK

Quote:
How much did you pay for both of them?
pick up locally or?

Let us know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #147
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-r View Post
Quote:
pick up locally or?

Let us know how it goes
Just the rear diffuser.
$599 shipped.
Here's the pics of the rear diffuser upon receipt.
The brackets were molded into the diffuser.
I'm bringing it to the shop tomorrow for installation. I'm too chicken to do it myself.

Update:
We tried in vain to try and fit the diffuser.
It's not a good fit. It has a big gap on both ends towards the exhaust tips that no matter how hard we tried on trial fitment, it wouldn't fit flush.
I contacted JL already for return and I am awaiting what will they say.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #148
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Finished installing the front M performance lip. Used only 3M VHB tape. Tape to hold the brackets and tape to hold the lip to the brackets. No screws. I used a tons of tape. Been holding on strong for two weeks and still it won't budge. Every part of the bracket and lip that needs to be bolted or beta linked, I used tape. Was tricky to get it aligned right the first time. Many test fitment and then stuck it on with one try. This is a risk on a $1200 lip but it's holding strong and I don't see how it would fail. Update you guys if it does.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      09-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #149
mp25
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel733 View Post
Finished installing the front M performance lip. Used only 3M VHB tape. Tape to hold the brackets and tape to hold the lip to the brackets. No screws. I used a tons of tape. Been holding on strong for two weeks and still it won't budge. Every part of the bracket and lip that needs to be bolted or beta linked, I used tape. Was tricky to get it aligned right the first time. Many test fitment and then stuck it on with one try. This is a risk on a $1200 lip but it's holding strong and I don't see how it would fail. Update you guys if it does.
Are you planning on removing at some time? Just wondering why no bolts and if I can wait on your lease turn in to buy it from you! Looks good!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #150
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-r View Post
Quote:
pick up locally or?

Let us know how it goes
Just the rear diffuser.
$599 shipped.
Here's the pics of the rear diffuser upon receipt.
The brackets were molded into the diffuser.
I'm bringing it to the shop tomorrow for installation. I'm too chicken to do it myself.

Update:
We tried in vain to try and fit the diffuser.
It's not a good fit. It has a big gap on both ends towards the exhaust tips that no matter how hard we tried on trial fitment, it wouldn't fit flush.
I contacted JL already for return and I am awaiting what will they say.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #151
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp25 View Post
Are you planning on removing at some time? Just wondering why no bolts and if I can wait on your lease turn in to buy it from you! Looks good!
Yes I got this M performance lip at a real discount so I'm not planning on returning the car with it on and that's why I didn't screw it on. There are bolts holding it from the bottom but those are factory bolts.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #152
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel733 View Post
If you drive over 50 mph and more the lip is going to come off. Force of the wind is going to dislodge the lip given time. Happen to me and a friend already and to a few members here.
      09-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #153
mindcontrollerone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 / 2015 X5

I agree with Kzang. I drive fast and even with bolts you have to tighten them back up every couple of months. The tape alone won't last.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #154
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I had drilled holes and screws along with 3M double sided tape and it didn't hold after a while.

I ended up having the dealer use betalink adhesives to reinstall my lip. A friend of mine had his lip come off while driving damaging it beyond recognition.