BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M, F80 M3, C7 Z51

Installed Race Chip RS not feeling the performance improvement

I decided to go with a simple upgrade on performance, as this is my wife's SUV and I didn't want to have to deal with issues of injector and spark issues. Pretty simple install for the Race Chip, but then I took it for a test drive.

I didn't get any CE lights or warnings, but I had the performance meter on and didn't see any appreciable change over stock. I realize these have to adapt to the car but two days of driving and a re-check, again no appreciable gains.

A few questions, are the performance meters accurate? 50whp should be able to be felt in my opinion. Also I am not sure if the level I have it set at is the best level. In past reviews it was alphabetical, the new race chips come in a numbered format from 1-6.

RG who I bought it from can't seem to comment on what the numbers mean or relate to performance levels.

Seems largely like a poorly supported product, the instructions that came in the kit were for a TDI VW, and nobody seems to know what the numbers mean on the face of the piggy back.

I would rate my satisfaction pretty low right now, unless I just have a bad unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Hmmm...yeah I wouldn't be pleased either. Maybe check again after a week or so and see if it's adapted. I see you're from Texas and know it's hot and humid right now. Maybe you'll feel more once the air cools down as we know turbo cars love colder, more dense air.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Jim,

First, thank you for your business.

Secondly, you purchase the RaceChip RS series, which I mentioned to you in the email that I don't have much data on it since all of my customers that purchased RaceChip has always purchased either RaceChip Ultimate (Top of the line on Gen.1) and GTS Black (Top of the line on Gen.2).
But default map on the RS is map 4, and you have up to 6 of maps where 6 is the highest.
Highest map doesn't always mean that it will be the best performance for you, so you have to try and see.
And in your email, you referred to lettering mappings where it was on the older Gen.1 RaceChip Ultimate product.

Lastly, that performance meters in the iDrive is controlled by the vehicle's ECU and it is more gimmick than 100% accurate reading.
With piggy back tuning, it doesn't alter the performance meters information. So, what you see there doesn't translate the gain that RS produced.

Oh, and why it came with VW TDI instructions, you may want to email RaceChip directly and asked them why.
I am not the manufacturer of RaceChip. If I do, I would've done it differently.

While on my own products, I do have DIY posted in the forum or link in my website's product listing.
But, I may need to start taking them down. Recently I have been hearing and seeing that Overseas companies been leeching instructions and claim it as theirs.

I hope this help.

We can continue this discussion in the open forum or through email, whichever you like.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help, but I really am surprised that the best install explanation for this unit was on this forum from another member.

I think it is odd that Race Chip doesn't tell you what 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 means in terms of performance either. It would seem your car would have to adapt to each parameter, how would you ever know what the purpose of each tune was?

As much as Race Chip does in this business, I guess I expected more than a box with the wrong instructions and no explanation on how to use the unit.

Pretty weak in my mind, if your putting something like this on a 90k plus SUV.

How would the average person not on forums know what the hell they bought.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims M3 View Post
Thanks for the help, but I really am surprised that the best install explanation for this unit was on this forum from another member.

I think it is odd that Race Chip doesn't tell you what 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 means in terms of performance either. It would seem your car would have to adapt to each parameter, how would you ever know what the purpose of each tune was?

As much as Race Chip does in this business, I guess I expected more than a box with the wrong instructions and no explanation on how to use the unit.

Pretty weak in my mind, if your putting something like this on a 90k plus SUV.

How would the average person not on forums know what the hell they bought.
I think you were expecting a bit too much from one of their lower tier lines. I have RC ultimate in my 50i and it's an immediate difference with awesome Gains and no CEL.

Also regardless of the tune if you are increasing boost you will and should have already changed your spark plugs to something colder. They will go.

And the numbers, as He stated above, aren't Hp values. They use this unit on multiple platforms cuz all it does is cause the turbos to spin sooner and faster to increase boost. They don't have specific instructions for every car like headers and down pipes don't come with instructions. It's not really economical or possible to personally have their units installed on every vehicle. Most people not in forums pay to have shops install such things. And even most the people on here did that as well.

But good that you're hear so you can get guidance and assistance as needed.

Finally if you don't like the performance then increase to a higher number or return it and buy the better one. I know that the highest setting on the ultimate does not sit well with the 50i engine but it may be ok for other types of engines it works with.

GL
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I installed some X5M spark plugs today and after a week of adapting, it is a much different machine.

Took it back out with the sport setting dials and noticeably better performance, it went to the end of the measuring scale for torque and HP which it wasn't doing before.

You can definitely feel the power now, the spark plugs made the biggest difference.

Going to get some X5M air filters as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #7
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I installed some X5M spark plugs today and after a week of adapting, it is a much different machine.

Took it back out with the sport setting dials and noticeably better performance, it went to the end of the measuring scale for torque and HP which it wasn't doing before.

You can definitely feel the power now, the spark plugs made the biggest difference.

Going to get some X5M air filters as well.
Good. Hope you made use of my spark plug DIY. Enjoy the new power!
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I'm glad you figured out. I remember when I got mine some people said the RC didn't do anything for them vs myself where I felt gains immediately.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Good. Hope you made use of my spark plug DIY. Enjoy the new power!
I used to have a 550i so I had done it before, was a very easy job. Easier than the E70 X5 V8, that was more work.

I also put in the X5M air filters in on Saturday. SUV is running great now. Spark plugs made a huge difference.

Also a note the X5M sparkplugs are now 27 each instead of $4.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #10
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

How would changing plugs make that big of difference? Unless you were predetonating with the stock plugs,and timing getting retarded.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
Jims M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had a 550i that I put the BMS tune on and it was very similar new plugs and coil packs and the car ran a ton better. The X5M is a colder plug and responds better to higher boost, but also these plugs take a beating in these cars. They run best on new plugs.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
I had a 550i that I put the BMS tune on and it was very similar new plugs and coil packs and the car ran a ton better. The X5M is a colder plug and responds better to higher boost, but also these plugs take a beating in these cars. They run best on new plugs.
Totally agree as the older plugs just start misfiring and with the tune it just makes it even worse because the tune is a little more aggressive.
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
I used to have a 550i so I had done it before, was a very easy job. Easier than the E70 X5 V8, that was more work.

I also put in the X5M air filters in on Saturday. SUV is running great now. Spark plugs made a huge difference.

Also a note the X5M sparkplugs are now 27 each instead of $4.
Thanks for the heads up. Can you provide a link for where you purchased the X5M plugs from please? Did you change the gapping?
Appreciate 0