BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2019, 11:20 PM   #23
Logical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

You sir have an aftermarket tune that deletes cold start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
The cold start in my E70 was insane.

The cold start in the F85 is non existent. The E70 held higher RPM and was super dramatic about it, and the F85 seems like it just starts. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I park it inside the garage and kids are sometimes sleeping when I have to leave so it's quite nice to be able to start the car and not wake them up, and my entire neighborhood.

Is the F85 coded to not have the classic dramatic "cold start"?

TIA!
2015 F86 X6 M (Retired)
2014 F10 M5 (Retired)
2010 E70 X5 M (Retired), 2010 E92 M3 MT (Retired)
2006 E60 M5 (Retired), 2000 E39 M5 MT (Retired)
1999 E39 328i (Retired), 1995 525i (Retired)
1987 325i (Totaled - that was fun!)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 12:54 AM   #24
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
You sir have an aftermarket tune that deletes cold start.

Quote:
The cold start in my E70 was insane.

The cold start in the F85 is non existent. The E70 held higher RPM and was super dramatic about it, and the F85 seems like it just starts. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I park it inside the garage and kids are sometimes sleeping when I have to leave so it's quite nice to be able to start the car and not wake them up, and my entire neighborhood.

Is the F85 coded to not have the classic dramatic "cold start"?

TIA!
It has to be that.

But Velos keeps insisting that they did not code out the cold start. It's bizarre.

The car has 30K miles on it and screams. I just can't get a clear answer on why the CS is gone.
      11-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #25
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

My 2016 F85 went in for service this week. I don't think the previous owner really did anything with the car as most service has been vanilla. There was even a rattle in the feedback mechanism in the steering wheel that turned out to be the white tag/sticker that was in the way that the brass weight hit every time it rotated. Anyway, prior to this service, starting the car was really quiet and uneventful. I thought this was maybe due to the start/stop feature and never really thought much about it. Got it back and notice starting the car is now much louder (even when the engine is up to temp). Haven't tried the engine stop/start to see if that is changed. I asked and any software that could be updated was updated to the latest version.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #26
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
My 2016 F85 went in for service this week. I don't think the previous owner really did anything with the car as most service has been vanilla. There was even a rattle in the feedback mechanism in the steering wheel that turned out to be the white tag/sticker that was in the way that the brass weight hit every time it rotated. Anyway, prior to this service, starting the car was really quiet and uneventful. I thought this was maybe due to the start/stop feature and never really thought much about it. Got it back and notice starting the car is now much louder (even when the engine is up to temp). Haven't tried the engine stop/start to see if that is changed. I asked and any software that could be updated was updated to the latest version.
Yeah I thought the same thing when I first took delivery. I thought the "cold start" didn't exist on the car, maybe it was on purpose designed for a more refined experience.

That said, when I flashed to stock it was back. Loud and obnoxious. Maybe I just didn't experience it because I didn't have the Intake or the Eisenmann? I don't know anymore.
      11-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #27
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I thought the same thing when I first took delivery. I thought the "cold start" didn't exist on the car, maybe it was on purpose designed for a more refined experience.

That said, when I flashed to stock it was back. Loud and obnoxious. Maybe I just didn't experience it because I didn't have the Intake or the Eisenmann? I don't know anymore.
Mine is extremely quiet....I am not the original owner. Is there a way to check if it is coded out?

Mine sounds like a Prius when starting....
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:20 AM   #28
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Mine barks into life like a F1 V8 and is very loud on the warm up cycle.
Love it
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #29
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Cold startup after current factory flash

Last edited by ekological; 11-05-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #30
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah mine sounds like this.

Here is a video of a cold start with the stock/original tune:

This wasn't even a true morning cold start, car was sitting in the sun for a bit. I bet on the morning it would have been plenty more dramatic.

That afternoon I put the "mod" file back on, the CS went away. It's back to rocket ship mode but no cold start. 🤷*♂️

I just want to understand why. Lol