BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
aliangF85
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

2015 F85 turbo pinging?

i noticed that when im driving my f85 up a slight slope and push the accelerator a bit harder (but not to a point where the car downshifts), i get this noise that sounds like pulling a chain.

I followed up by bringing the car to the dealership a couple of days later where the mechanic went with me for a test drive and he mentioned that this is called "pinging" also known as turbo knock cause by carbon build up or bad octane fuel. He said try taking the car to a highway and drive it "spiritually", so i did, but still continued to get the pinging sound and can recreate the sound 100% of the times when i need to.

has anyone experienced this issue? Note: I fill up using Chevron 94 octane.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliangF85 View Post
i noticed that when im driving my f85 up a slight slope and push the accelerator a bit harder (but not to a point where the car downshifts), i get this noise that sounds like pulling a chain.

I followed up by bringing the car to the dealership a couple of days later where the mechanic went with me for a test drive and he mentioned that this is called "pinging" also known as turbo knock cause by carbon build up or bad octane fuel. He said try taking the car to a highway and drive it "spiritually" so i did but still continue to get the pinging sound and can recreate the sound 100% of the times when i need to.

has anyone experienced this issue? Note: I fill up using Chevron 94 octane.

Thanks,
LSPI, perhaps?

Sounds like the sound I heard under the same conditions when I first got my F15/N63TU and was filling it with 91 octane non-oxygenated gas. Went away when I switched to 93 octane E10. I'd suggest trying a different brand of high-octane gas, or even some octane booster temporarily, as a diagnostic step. At least you'll know it's actually pinging/knocking, that way.
      11-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

I thought "pinging" happens inside cylinders, not inside turbos... maybe wrong ("hot") spark plugs or the detonation sensors are failing?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
aliangF85
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

no lights on the system yet, the MMI system hasnt showed anything. Ill try switching bring with different high octane fuel.
Appreciate 0