BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

Anyone come from an e70 with full leather package?

I had an e70 M that had a full leather package (murano, murino, dan Marino, however it was spelled) and loved the seats.

This past weekend my wife and I took a little weekend getaway and I rented a Range Rover sport. While the RR was a complete POS and just really lacked intuitive functioning... It did make me miss my M (I’m in a Gen 2 raptor now). Love the truck but there is something about a performance SUV. It’s the best off all worlds.

I’m a bigger guy 6’2, 265 and I hate how bolstered some of the new seats are. This kind of concerns me with the F85. However, I’m more interested in the adjustability of the seats. For those of you that have had the E70 with the Dan Marino package know that the top half of the seat has two adjustability function and the upper half of the seat can also adjust to give us hunch backs a little more support.

Does the f85 do this?

I’m also considering just getting a 2013 with LED and changing out the displays. I cant believe how inexpensive those things have gotten.
      10-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #2
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Duct_Mossburg View Post
I had an e70 M that had a full leather package (murano, murino, dan Marino, however it was spelled) and loved the seats.

This past weekend my wife and I took a little weekend getaway and I rented a Range Rover sport. While the RR was a complete POS and just really lacked intuitive functioning... It did make me miss my M (I’m in a Gen 2 raptor now). Love the truck but there is something about a performance SUV. It’s the best off all worlds.

I’m a bigger guy 6’2, 265 and I hate how bolstered some of the new seats are. This kind of concerns me with the F85. However, I’m more interested in the adjustability of the seats. For those of you that have had the E70 with the Dan Marino package know that the top half of the seat has two adjustability function and the upper half of the seat can also adjust to give us hunch backs a little more support.

Does the f85 do this?

I’m also considering just getting a 2013 with LED and changing out the displays. I cant believe how inexpensive those things have gotten.
The Dan Marino package is a must, and I think standard on the F85.

I'm 6'4 205, and I agree with you, the F85 checks all the boxes. Not only is it stupid fast, it's utility and super lux too.

The seats do everything you want. The side bolsters can get annoying and you can relax them all the way. There are two pockets of additional bolstering for your upper and lower back. You can dial them in to be super comfortable, or, you can dial them in to be race car seats.
      10-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post

I'm 6'4 205, and I agree with you, the F85 checks all the boxes. Not only is it stupid fast, it's utility and super lux too.

The seats do everything you want. The side bolsters can get annoying and you can relax them all the way. There are two pockets of additional bolstering for your upper and lower back. You can dial them in to be super comfortable, or, you can dial them in to be race car seats.
Can the back of the seat adjust forward and back. Dan Marino on the e70 had an adjustment around the mid back which allowed the top of the seat to come forward or go back.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Quote:

Can the back of the seat adjust forward and back. Dan Marino on the e70 had an adjustment around the mid back which allowed the top of the seat to come forward or go back.
Yeah totally. There are two spots on the center back that inflate, one on the upper back, and one on the lower back.
      10-26-2019, 11:35 PM   #5
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah totally. There are two spots on the center back that inflate, one on the upper back, and one on the lower back.
I’m not talking about inflating and deflating. The physical seat moves on the e70. You have the traditional back and fourth of the entire back of the seat and then you have another adjustment half way up the back of the seat that gives and additional mechanical adjustment of the top portion of the back half.

Sidebar... Does the f85 have active seats?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:39 AM   #6
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
I'm not talking about inflating and deflating. The physical seat moves on the e70. You have the traditional back and fourth of the entire back of the seat and then you have another adjustment half way up the back of the seat that gives and additional mechanical adjustment of the top portion of the back half.

Sidebar... Does the f85 have active seats?
Yes, the upper top part of the seat backs (not headrests) do adjust like the E70. No, it does not have a active seat like the E70.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
Quote:
Yes the top half of the seat also adjusts fwd and back. I've never had that feature before and love that it's call the Dan Marino! But I discovered it about a month after owning the car and it was fantastic. Actually makes the heated/cooled seats feel better on my back.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The leather is called Merino.

And to get front seats with the upper articulating back...requires BMW's M-Multifunction Seats...they have 22-way functionality...the upper articulating back is initiated by using the two smaller buttons seen in the back rest seat switch in #2 in illustration below. The round button is the 4-way lumbar support and the two small buttons above the lumbar switch is the 2-way side bolster switch:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-09-2019 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1568.50