12-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Auto high beam

Hi all

Does your auto highbeam work correctly

Is it just a matter of dark conditions (highway driving at night), then flicking on high beam and pressing the 'auto' button near the BC button ??

Should a symbol for the "auto" high beam come on... As opposed to just the blue symbol !?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Yes a auto high bean logo pops up.. when it is on and then the high bean logo (blue) appears when it is activated.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozx5 View Post
Hi all

Is it just a matter of dark conditions (highway driving at night), then flicking on high beam and pressing the 'auto' button near the BC button ??

Should a symbol for the "auto" high beam come on... As opposed to just the blue symbol !?
Just press the button on the stalk near the BC to activate. Your high beams will automatically come on when conditions permit - no oncoming traffic or cars ahead of you. At that point you will see the blue indicator.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

Note: Auto High Beams only works when the main Headlight Switch is in "A" position.

(It took me a while to figure that silliness out. Oops.)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Mine works fine, but I find that sometimes it interferes with night vision. I think it is so strong that it blinds the night vision cameras ability to see persons or animals ahead of you. Night vision works fine when the automatic high beams are not on. Anybody else?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 04:31 AM   #6
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
Note: Auto High Beams only works when the main Headlight Switch is in "A" position.

Ooh right !!

Ok let me try this tonight ... I think this is where my issue could be coming from ....
Appreciate 1
Louv300.50
      12-10-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Mine works fine, but I find that sometimes it interferes with night vision. I think it is so strong that it blinds the night vision cameras ability to see persons or animals ahead of you. Night vision works fine when the automatic high beams are not on. Anybody else?
This I need to try.... will report back experience ....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 03:49 AM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post

Can be coded to work when manually turned on as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozx5 View Post
Hi all

Combination of dark conditions as well as speed. If in Auto, light sensor will trigger low beams and you will see dash indicator. Then, you select stalk icon and matching dash indicator shows enabled. Then, same blue icon is used to indicate high beams are on whether manually or automatically triggered.

Appreciate 2
Louv300.50
Luca42169.00
      12-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
How is Night Vision affected?

I have Night Vision and HBA (coded to GFHB) and they don't seem to affect each other. Night Vision camera picks up IR so it should be unaffected by visible light.

Are the headlights coded?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

MochiEater, I'm not positive that the HB are causing my NV problem. What happens with my NV is that sometimes when there is an deer or a person just off to my left or right the HUD will give me a yellow or red picture depending on how close the object is, or it won't do anything. Sometimes the car beeps when an object is very close, other times it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #11
mgaciah
Private
Rep
Drives: F23 cabrio, F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochiEater View Post
How is Night Vision affected?

I have Night Vision and HBA (coded to GFHB) and they don't seem to affect each other. Night Vision camera picks up IR so it should be unaffected by visible light.

Are the headlights coded?

Yes, Weird to be affected, have the complete night configuration with pedestrian detection with dynamic spotlight (not available in US) and with Adaptive lights works together perfectly, the system can spot a human or a big animal at 100 mts or more even with high beams active, all depends on your speed, under fog condition is incredible.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #12
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
MochiEater, I'm not positive that the HB are causing my NV problem. What happens with my NV is that sometimes when there is an deer or a person just off to my left or right the HUD will give me a yellow or red picture depending on how close the object is, or it won't do anything. Sometimes the car beeps when an object is very close, other times it doesn't.
I suspect the HB is not affecting NV. I have not noticed any differences in performance whether I have low or high beams activated. In my rural area we have a lot of deer, and the nearby university means there are a lot of students. Both have an annoying habit of crossing in front of cars with reckless abandon.

I've noticed that NV will only give a yellow or red alert if the hot object has the outline of either a human or 4 legged animal AND they are in my direct path or may move into my direct path given my closing speed. It can take a little while for the NV to color the target if the angle makes the outline indistinct. I have had situations where I pass deer standing still only 6 ft off to the side of the road and there is no alert. I have also had yellow alerts on deer standing in the someone's yard when my car directly faces them, even though there is no road and I would have to jump the curb and drive through the bushes and over the lawn to reach them. I also get false alerts where there is nothing alive out there that I can see. Usually an electric box or street light or other warm object.

In my experience, NV tends to not alert for humans/deer that are just off to the side of the road, unless they are moving on an intercepting course with the car. I'm not sure how it works in non-US countries where Spotlight is activated. The usefulness of NV is definitely limited in the US where we have to either glance over to the screen occasionally or just trust that the alerts will work.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #13
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Where is my HBA?

Waking up to ask basic question - do you have to have LED lights to have HBA? We have HID and our turn stalk does not have two buttons as shown in the graphic above. If we don't have it, can it be coded in?

Wife will be bummed if we can't access. Our much less plush Ford Edge had this pretty standard feature.
      11-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #14
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Do you have to have LED package to get HBA?

Anyone? TIA.
      11-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #15
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Yes