Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
For me, steering is much heavier in sport vs comfort mode. So this must be 'codable'. Unfortunately I don't have the time to poke around.
If you like it in Sport, why not just drive in Sport?
I drive in sport when I can but sometimes I need to be in comfort:
1) wife thinks it's too bumpy - she gets car sick
2) display changes - sometimes I don't want to look at an all-red display
3) wife can see how fast I am going easily in sport - big #s on the digital display in sport

To name a few.

I am used to the steering at this point so it doesn't bother me that much but the stiffer steering in sport feels better.
How does it feel being that pu$$ywhipped
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #46
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

You guys are discussing about coding the steering heavier. It will still be an artificial electric steering what we have in F16/F15 and NOTHING brings back the old fashion hydraulic steering feel that E-series cars had.

Sport mode is just making the steering response heavier, pure electric resistance when rotating the steering wheel, but it still has nothing to do what is happening between rubber and road like it used to be in E70.

I have F15 with M-sport, active suspension, rear-air, 20" wheels. Alignment is fine and car drives "ok", but I miss so much our previous E70 M-sport with adaptive drive (active damping and rollers). It was a tank, and you could feel how the tires react to road. BMW lost the original "freude am fahren" when they switched to electrical steering in F-series.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #47
Flakhani
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10, F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKR View Post
You guys are discussing about coding the steering heavier. It will still be an artificial electric steering what we have in F16/F15 and NOTHING brings back the old fashion hydraulic steering feel that E-series cars had.

Sport mode is just making the steering response heavier, pure electric resistance when rotating the steering wheel, but it still has nothing to do what is happening between rubber and road like it used to be in E70.

I have F15 with M-sport, active suspension, rear-air, 20" wheels. Alignment is fine and car drives "ok", but I miss so much our previous E70 M-sport with adaptive drive (active damping and rollers). It was a tank, and you could feel how the tires react to road. BMW lost the original "freude am fahren" when they switched to electrical steering in F-series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKR View Post

I absolutely agree! But you have no idea how much better I like this car now that the steering is weighted appropriately. I had been kicking myself for a couple years for not having gone with the base Cayenne instead of this. I thought I would get used to the light steering but every time I drove my wife's F10 I would be like what the hell is wrong with the F15's steering.

Also, not exactly sure what I did in BimmerCode but my Comfort mode steering since I did the coding is now at the resistance/weighting that my Sport mode was previously and my Sport steering weighting is a couple notches heavier still. The mid corner steering feel that I used to love on my old E46 and E60 may not come back but the resistance, self centering and feeling the need to work the steering is definitely back.
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      11-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #48
Tritan84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Was about to purchase a CPO F15 a couple days ago but absolutely hated the way it handled. This gives me hope. What was the price of the module?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakhani View Post
I absolutely agree! But you have no idea how much better I like this car now that the steering is weighted appropriately. I had been kicking myself for a couple years for not having gone with the base Cayenne instead of this. I thought I would get used to the light steering but every time I drove my wife's F10 I would be like what the hell is wrong with the F15's steering.

Also, not exactly sure what I did in BimmerCode but my Comfort mode steering since I did the coding is now at the resistance/weighting that my Sport mode was previously and my Sport steering weighting is a couple notches heavier still. The mid corner steering feel that I used to love on my old E46 and E60 may not come back but the resistance, self centering and feeling the need to work the steering is definitely back.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #49
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
Would be a nice Xmas present if someone could figure it out. I would gladly give a couple hundred bucks to whoever could come up with a solution!

Steering being too light, was my only complaint when I bought the F15 X5.
I test drove her, and she was like a Siren I couldn't walk away from, despite her steering being a bit disappointing...
Hi guys,

This is my first post here but have been a BMW owner almost continuously for 20 years. Lately my loyalty has been severely tested with the switch to electric steering as their steering feel is really what it was all about for me. My 2016 X5 35i M sport I believe HAD the least BMW-like steering feel of all the BMWs I have owned(E38, E46, E46 coupe, E60, F10).

However, last Friday I ordered the V2 Bluetooth OBD thing or whatever it is and downloaded and paid for the full version of BimmerCode. All I wanted to change was stop the steering wheel from telescoping in and out on entry/exit as it took so long to do that and I am the primary driver of this car and my wife has her own F10. On the F10 we are able to customize sport mode so it only affects the steering and chassis(adaptive dampers), and keep the transmission and engine in comfort. This makes the car ride a bit stiffer and stiffens the steering wheel to our liking too without making throttle response needlessly aggressive. My wife still misses her sublime E46 ZHP steering feel that she had many years ago but oh well!

Just FYI, our F15 does not have DHP but we like the ride and handling with the 20" M Sport wheels. I had also noticed that the base M suspension had a stiffer steering than the DHP equipped car I had driven in default mode. However, every time I would drive my F15 I craved the steering feel of our previous E46s or even the E38 or E60. The F10 in either comfort or sport also has better, more tactile steering than the F15 in comfort mode. When I would get really frustrated, I would switch to sport mode which would make the throttle more aggressive, and stiffen the steering feel. There would be no change to chassis as I don't have adaptive dampers on this car. However, I would switch it back to comfort soon as I would find the throttle overly aggressive for everyday driving around town.

Anyways, so this past Saturday I hooked up BimmerCode with the Bluetooth obd adapter to my F15 and started playing around with the coding and did a lot more than I thought I would. I made the following changes:

1. Changed the tire pressure monitor to show temperature as well as pressure.
2. Changed the mirrors to auto fold if I keep the lock button on the door depressed.
3. Changed the idrive splash screen to the M animation
4. Added turn signals to HUD
5. Added scanning for grass and curb to the lane keep warning
6. Went into expert mode and made the steering column moving in entry/exit inactive
7. CHANGED THE DEFAULT DRIVING MODE TO SPORT
8. CHANGED THE DRIVING MODE MEMORY TO ACTIVE

After this I went for a quick drive to make sure all the errors had been cleared and I had not screwed up anything. However, the first thing I noticed was the car didn't really start in Sport mode as I thought it would with it being the default now.

HOWEVER, STEERING WAS HEAVIER! IT NOW FELT AS IF I WAS IN SPORT MODE BUT THE THROTTLE AND TRANSMISSION WERE IN COMFORT. Wow, could this really be? It was late at night and I was tired so I thought maybe that's why I was feeling the steering needed some more effort. I drove for a few more minutes after switching to sport mode and then went home.

The next morning, the car starts in sport mode since I had switched it off in sport mode. I am guessing BimmerCode really did code the car to retain the last driving mode in memory. Anyway, I switched off Sport and started reversin in comfort and the STEERING WHEEL STILL FELT LIKE IT WAS IN SPORT. I drove about 200 miles on Sunday (pumpkin patch, family lunch, ballet class, Halloween at the aquarium etc etc.) and the steering stayed stiffer in comfort mode. I absolutely started loving how the steering felt now!! I have never been a big fan of the Sport mode in its entirety in town because of the aggressive throttle and this was just perfect for me!

My theory is that maybe "default driving mode" in BimmerCode refers only to the steering stiffness? If you think about how BimmerCode has translated the coding from German and turned the lines of coding to toggle switches for customers' ease, it's quite possible that a subtle change in translation has occurred here. i also like how the car now retains sport mode if I turned off the car in Sport mode.

Anyways, I thought I would share this as reading the forums over the past couple years, I have felt a lot of members sharing my frustration with the lack of steering effort on the F15.
Man I can't wait to try this. I want sport steering in comfort on my non DHP so bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #50
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Has anyone else tried these settings? Any difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #51
1973bnw2002tii
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1973 2002 tii, 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Hi guys,

This is my first post here but have been a BMW owner almost continuously for 20 years. Lately my loyalty has been severely tested with the switch to electric steering as their steering feel is really what it was all about for me. My 2016 X5 35i M sport I believe HAD the least BMW-like steering feel of all the BMWs I have owned(E38, E46, E46 coupe, E60, F10).

However, last Friday I ordered the V2 Bluetooth OBD thing or whatever it is and downloaded and paid for the full version of BimmerCode. All I wanted to change was stop the steering wheel from telescoping in and out on entry/exit as it took so long to do that and I am the primary driver of this car and my wife has her own F10. On the F10 we are able to customize sport mode so it only affects the steering and chassis(adaptive dampers), and keep the transmission and engine in comfort. This makes the car ride a bit stiffer and stiffens the steering wheel to our liking too without making throttle response needlessly aggressive. My wife still misses her sublime E46 ZHP steering feel that she had many years ago but oh well!

Just FYI, our F15 does not have DHP but we like the ride and handling with the 20” M Sport wheels. I had also noticed that the base M suspension had a stiffer steering than the DHP equipped car I had driven in default mode. However, every time I would drive my F15 I craved the steering feel of our previous E46s or even the E38 or E60. The F10 in either comfort or sport also has better, more tactile steering than the F15 in comfort mode. When I would get really frustrated, I would switch to sport mode which would make the throttle more aggressive, and stiffen the steering feel. There would be no change to chassis as I don’t have adaptive dampers on this car. However, I would switch it back to comfort soon as I would find the throttle overly aggressive for everyday driving around town.

Anyways, so this past Saturday I hooked up BimmerCode with the Bluetooth obd adapter to my F15 and started playing around with the coding and did a lot more than I thought I would. I made the following changes:

2. Changed the mirrors to auto fold if I keep the lock button on the door depressed.
6. Went into expert mode and made the steering column moving in entry/exit inactive

After this I went for a quick drive to make sure all the errors had been cleared and I had not screwed up anything. However, the first thing I noticed was the car didnÂ’t really start in Sport mode as I thought it would with it being the default now.

HOWEVER, STEERING WAS HEAVIER! IT NOW FELT AS IF I WAS IN SPORT MODE BUT THE THROTTLE AND TRANSMISSION WERE IN COMFORT. Wow, could this really be? It was late at night and I was tired so I thought maybe thatÂ’s why I was feeling the steering needed some more effort. I drove for a few more minutes after switching to sport mode and then went home.

The next morning, the car starts in sport mode since I had switched it off in sport mode. I am guessing BimmerCode really did code the car to retain the last driving mode in memory. Anyway, I switched off Sport and started reversin in comfort and the STEERING WHEEL STILL FELT LIKE IT WAS IN SPORT. I drove about 200 miles on Sunday (pumpkin patch, family lunch, ballet class, Halloween at the aquarium etc etc.) and the steering stayed stiffer in comfort mode. I absolutely started loving how the steering felt now!! I have never been a big fan of the Sport mode in its entirety in town because of the aggressive throttle and this was just perfect for me!

My theory is that maybe “default driving mode” in BimmerCode refers only to the steering stiffness? If you think about how BimmerCode has translated the coding from German and turned the lines of coding to toggle switches for customers’ ease, it’s quite possible that a subtle change in translation has occurred here. i also like how the car now retains sport mode if I turned off the car in Sport mode.

Anyways, I thought I would share this as reading the forums over the past couple years, I have felt a lot of members sharing my frustration with the lack of steering effort on the F15.
Were making changes #7 & 8 pretty straightforward?

Is there an impact to warranty by recoding?

I'd like to try this.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #52
BlackX5
Private
Rep
Drives: TL TypeS

I wish all these companies would just make a setting so that everything is max sport except having the transmission Hold the gear like on a race track. In other words, native and old fashion..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #53
DRVNG8TR
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i N54

Well, I guess I have taken too long to get into a newer BMW. We have three 3-series cars all pre 2008, and an absolutely amazing 2012 X5 Diesel. Recently looking at an F15 2017 M50i and all was great until the test drive. What the heck has BMW done to the steering, feels like a lexus. I'm hoping there is some software fix we can entertain as mentioned above so looking forward to more detail. Would hate to accept we will never get a newer Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #54
sloanbj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Xdrive50i MSport

Who cares about steering feel on a giant SUV? Are you tracking this monster? And heavy just for the sake of heaviness does nothing for me. I prefer to feel the road more directly through the wheel, but that's not going to happen with steer by wire. I'm not bothered by it. This is not a sports car. In all modes the steering is responsive to inputs, not loose or overboosted. I like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #55
1973bnw2002tii
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1973 2002 tii, 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973bnw2002tii View Post
Were making changes #7 & 8 pretty straightforward?

Is there an impact to warranty by recoding?

I'd like to try this.
.....Sure enough! I coded as above and default steering is heavier! Wandering is much less. Thanks!!!!
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2020, 11:51 PM   #56
andreyx6m
Rep
Drives: bmw x6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanbj View Post
Who cares about steering feel on a giant SUV? Are you tracking this monster? And heavy just for the sake of heaviness does nothing for me. I prefer to feel the road more directly through the wheel, but that's not going to happen with steer by wire. I'm not bothered by it. This is not a sports car. In all modes the steering is responsive to inputs, not loose or overboosted. I like it.
The problem is that you do not feel the road when your steering is so loose. I just switched from an e70 X5m to an f86 X6m and wow the steering is really bad. I thought maybe there is something wrong with my suspension. Yes the wheel does get heavier but once you hit a dip in the road comfort, M1 or M2 doesn’t make a difference the wheel wobbles left to right. I can’t believe this in a 118k car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #57
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

I did the same thing and it worked. Made the steering SO much better! I can leave in comfort mode and the only "sport" aspect I have is heavier steering. Sweet!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #58
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoboy View Post
I did the same thing and it worked. Made the steering SO much better! I can leave in comfort mode and the only "sport" aspect I have is heavier steering. Sweet!
If put it into sport mode now is it even heavier?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #59
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
If put it into sport mode now is it even heavier?
No, it won't make it heavier in Sport unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      02-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #60
jrthe1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 E60 911C4 SL560 66C10step

So momoboy and/or others what are the exact steps you took from a-z to make the steering heavier? I'm new to Bimmercode.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:11 AM   #61
jrthe1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 E60 911C4 SL560 66C10step

ANYBODY?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:38 AM   #62
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

You can read yourself starting from page one of this thread. Otherwise, fit a smaller steering wheel, like the one from F3x. It will make the steering feel heavier.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 05:08 AM   #63
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I finally tried this on my 2014 non-M sport 50i, and did not get the same result.
Steering still feels better in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #64
omarghazzy
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 2015 X5

Quote:
Hi guys,

Just FYI, our F15 does not have DHP but we like the ride and handling with the 20” M Sport wheels. I had also noticed that the base M suspension had a stiffer steering than the DHP equipped car I had driven in default mode. However, every time I would drive my F15 I craved the steering feel of our previous E46s or even the E38 or E60. The F10 in either comfort or sport also has better, more tactile steering than the F15 in comfort mode. When I would get really frustrated, I would switch to sport mode which would make the throttle more aggressive, and stiffen the steering feel. There would be no change to chassis as I don’t have adaptive dampers on this car. However, I would switch it back to comfort soon as I would find the throttle overly aggressive for everyday driving around town.

After this I went for a quick drive to make sure all the errors had been cleared and I had not screwed up anything. However, the first thing I noticed was the car didnÂ’t really start in Sport mode as I thought it would with it being the default now.

HOWEVER, STEERING WAS HEAVIER! IT NOW FELT AS IF I WAS IN SPORT MODE BUT THE THROTTLE AND TRANSMISSION WERE IN COMFORT. Wow, could this really be? It was late at night and I was tired so I thought maybe thatÂ’s why I was feeling the steering needed some more effort. I drove for a few more minutes after switching to sport mode and then went home.

My theory is that maybe “default driving mode” in BimmerCode refers only to the steering stiffness? If you think about how BimmerCode has translated the coding from German and turned the lines of coding to toggle switches for customers’ ease, it’s quite possible that a subtle change in translation has occurred here. i also like how the car now retains sport mode if I turned off the car in Sport mode.

Hey Guys, did you code the DEFAULT DRIVING MODE and DRIVING MODE MEMORY in the Body Domain Controller” BDC or in the integrated Chassis Management ICM page in bimmercode.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #65
mpeteritas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarghazzy View Post
Hey Guys, did you code the DEFAULT DRIVING MODE and DRIVING MODE MEMORY in the Body Domain Controller” BDC or in the integrated Chassis Management ICM page in bimmercode.

Thanks.
Was there ever a clear answer to this question? I just ordered the OBD adapter so I can try this in a few days when it arrives.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #66
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeteritas View Post
Was there ever a clear answer to this question? I just ordered the OBD adapter so I can try this in a few days when it arrives.

Mark

Quote:
I would suggest that you code both modules so that you change your “default mode” to SPORT...as well as “driving memory mode.”. That way...if you are in a driving situation where you’ve changed the driving mode to (lets say) COMFORT mode because you are doing a long 1000 mile highway journey...if you don’t code “driving memory” but only changed “default driving mode”...when you stop for gas or rest stop etc...when you turn the engine off and restart...you will restart in SPORT mode...which you will then have to switch back to COMFORT mode.

Just an FYI...if all you want is the “heavier” steering & suspension feel of SPORT mode for daily driving...but not the engine & tranny parameters of SPORT mode....then first configure SPORT mode for CHASSIS ONLY. This will give you COMFORT (drivetrain) settings (engine & tranny) but give you SPORT (chassis) settings (for steering & suspension). If you ever need quickly need the SPORT drivetrain parameters, too...just push your gear shift lever over into the M/S gate and leave it there...and you will instantly get the engine & tranny sport parameters (or manual if you want to move the gear shift lever or shift paddles on the steering wheel).

See pics below of iDrive (ID4) screen selection for individualizing SPORT mode. If you have a new iteration of iDrive (aka ID5/ID6)...the screen will look different...but the individualization of SPORT mode is basically the same...different look but same parameters. As you scroll the iDrive controller knob on the selection...it should identify on the display what area is affected by the selection you’re on (Chassis/Drivetrain/Chassis & Drivetrain):
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-05-2021 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0