02-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 X5///M, DG

Pics of my New ALP + Bel Stir Plus Custom Install

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Last week, i finally got my much awaited Anitlaser Priority (Quad sensors) and Bel Stir Plus fully integrated into my car. Wanted to share these pics since I'm extremely happy with the way it came out. First off, a couple of people were involved. Definitely owe a shout out to Scott Wheeler at www.radar-mirror.com for his excellent service and detailed answers of my many many questions. Also, a huge shout out to DSI Electronics in Laurel, MD www.dsielectronics.com for the same level of service and knowledge but more importantly hitting a home run on integrating the STIR control module and ALP kill switch into my ash tray and perfectly matching the OEM finishes. It looks like a simple piece - but it took a lot to get it just right.

Beyond that - I am running these systems completely separate of one another for one very specific reason - the ALP w/ STIR plus module only provides sound alerts and you can not have a visual radar display + no gps (thus no red light camera function or self learning funcitons). I went with a quad setup on the ALP (2 front / 2 rear). Oddly, my first laser jam was to a construction zone movable speed camera (rear laser picked it up). Who knew they shoot laser! Due to space restrictions - I could only have one of the control modules installed in the ash tray. So, I decided to have DSI install a kill switch to the ALP so that I can turn the jammers off in real time and install the STIR module since I'm playing around with that one a lot more. The ALP is a set it and forget it + I installed the bluetooth module for the ALP so I can operate it via the app on my iphone.

As for the mirror display - Scott does precision work. The display is crystal clear. It's actually very hard for the camera to take a picture w/out it looking like the display "bleeds". In person, it does not at all. Above the STIR display is the the external LED to the ALP (blue light) that i can either dim or run in dark mode. When i get hit with laser it flashes red (front hit) or yellow (rear hit).

Hopefully the pics came out OK and warning ... my car is very dirty! And i have nooooo idea how to make half these pics to stand up straight. Sorry.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-20-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
medman2k1
Private
Rep
Drives: 750Li

Looks completely stealth!

They did a great job!

Cost?

Did you give any consideration to the new Stinger VIP setup?

I'm currently running BEL STIR+ plus quad Laser Interceptor diffusers.

I'm getting ready to switch cars and was considering trying the Stinger setup but it looks like it runs 7k+ for the full setup so am on the fence about going with ALP or full Monty with the Stinger VIP setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! Yea the stealthiness and cleanliness was the idea.

Cost hmm think after all said and done was maybe a touch over $4K. Systems and Mirror 2500-2700 i think. 1K on the install and 600 for the custom piece.

I thought about the stinger for all of half a second because of the cost. From the sounds of it - the stinger and alp are at the top of the food chain. Maryland state troopers have the dragon eye so i need safety from that.

Honestly, the stinger is appealing bc of its display and fully integrated laser and radar functons. But heck - for the amount of money you spend on these units the control modules are completely thoughtless in terms of looking good and not being an eye-sore. Clearly a lot of their clientele own fast cars - which are usually more expensive - so you'd think they have better integrated options or offer functionality. You're always having to hide these things bc you never want to see them...at least i personally don't.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryngo View Post
Thanks! Yea the stealthiness and cleanliness was the idea.

Cost hmm think after all said and done was maybe a touch over $4K. Systems and Mirror 2500-2700 i think. 1K on the install and 600 for the custom piece.

I thought about the stinger for all of half a second because of the cost. From the sounds of it - the stinger and alp are at the top of the food chain. Maryland state troopers have the dragon eye so i need safety from that.

Honestly, the stinger is appealing bc of its display and fully integrated laser and radar functons. But heck - for the amount of money you spend on these units the control modules are completely thoughtless in terms of looking good and not being an eye-sore. Clearly a lot of their clientele own fast cars - which are usually more expensive - so you'd think they have better integrated options or offer functionality. You're always having to hide these things bc you never want to see them...at least i personally don't.
Thanks! I was quoted a similar price for the same set up. In fact, I was quoted the same price for an inferior set-up. Good to do the research.

It looks like quality work. How many sensors do you have in total?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
Thanks! I was quoted a similar price for the same set up. In fact, I was quoted the same price for an inferior set-up. Good to do the research.

It looks like quality work. How many sensors do you have in total?
Yea honestly wasn't sure if I was going to find a place around here I'd be comfortable working on my car. Their Facebook page had rovers, Benz, and bentleys. So that helps w the comfort factor.

So there are four laser shifters in total. The last two pictures show the front left and back right. Also, inside the grille you can see where the bel stir radar unit is installed. It's slightly visible. The front shifters are not at all noticeable. The camera is 5x more noticeable. The rear ones are more noticeable but often there's a shadow line there - whatever. Worth having it to me. The GPS receiver is mounted under the dash somewhere and two USB ports located above the dead pedal - way up there. Can't see them unless you're looking for them.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh also - very important when flush mounting the stir plus. The power button is on the top (thin side) of the control. You need that button when doing updates. So the relocated the power button and I can access it with a paper clip through a tiny hole they made - you can see the hole on the very close up of the control unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Todd,

Looks like your install turned out really well, thanks for the props!

Scott
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 12:38 AM   #8
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Nice setup, i have installed exact same setup on my 5 series and did it mysef total cost of two units $1850 ALP+STI-R plus. And day of my time
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 05:56 AM   #9
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofmine View Post
Nice setup, i have installed exact same setup on my 5 series and did it mysef total cost of two units $1850 ALP+STI-R plus. And day of my time
Nice. All that in a day! You must be quite the novice .. Good for you. It's nice to be able to pay yourself for 12 hours of labor.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
Manoloiv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Very discreet!
You have inspired me to follow in your footsteps.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #11
theseeker
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M, 2015 SLS, 2015 S550

Many thanks for this! You solved a major headache for me.
I will do this with my V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #12
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

@ Manoloiv and theseeker.

Awesome. That's music to my ears.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Nice custom install! Look great!
      02-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofmine
Damn... You guys must get enough speeding tickets to justify this. Nice installs.
      02-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Damn... You guys must get enough speeding tickets to justify this. Nice installs.
Hah! Well ... honestly - i have a heavy foot. My economic equation in justifying this setup includes bail, lawyer fees, and job opportunity costs. It's a no brainer when you factor those in

Thanks for the nice comments!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #16
medman2k1
Private
Rep
Drives: 750Li

I'm getting my bel and LI diffusers removed this week.

If you have further impressions of ALP I would be interested in hearing them.

Once again fabulous setup!

I will start a new thread with my setup once I get it done.

Did you test your JTG ability yet? Against the dragonfly?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #17
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hmm. So far no encounters with laser. No real updates other than I really like having the app. It works very well. There is absolutely no need to get the hi-fi. Also - the diffusers are pretty small. Other than that - can't add any additional comments. Have not tested the ability yet. Honestly probably won't. Rdforum has tons of info on tests and whatnot. Working on faith for me. Thanks for nice comments.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #18
krisnetaji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryngo View Post
Last week, i finally got my much awaited Anitlaser Priority (Quad sensors) and Bel Stir Plus fully integrated into my car. Wanted to share these pics since I'm extremely happy with the way it came out. First off, a couple of people were involved. Definitely owe a shout out to Scott Wheeler at www.radar-mirror.com for his excellent service and detailed answers of my many many questions. Also, a huge shout out to DSI Electronics in Laurel, MD www.dsielectronics.com for the same level of service and knowledge but more importantly hitting a home run on integrating the STIR control module and ALP kill switch into my ash tray and perfectly matching the OEM finishes. It looks like a simple piece - but it took a lot to get it just right.

Beyond that - I am running these systems completely separate of one another for one very specific reason - the ALP w/ STIR plus module only provides sound alerts and you can not have a visual radar display + no gps (thus no red light camera function or self learning funcitons). I went with a quad setup on the ALP (2 front / 2 rear). Oddly, my first laser jam was to a construction zone movable speed camera (rear laser picked it up). Who knew they shoot laser! Due to space restrictions - I could only have one of the control modules installed in the ash tray. So, I decided to have DSI install a kill switch to the ALP so that I can turn the jammers off in real time and install the STIR module since I'm playing around with that one a lot more. The ALP is a set it and forget it + I installed the bluetooth module for the ALP so I can operate it via the app on my iphone.

As for the mirror display - Scott does precision work. The display is crystal clear. It's actually very hard for the camera to take a picture w/out it looking like the display "bleeds". In person, it does not at all. Above the STIR display is the the external LED to the ALP (blue light) that i can either dim or run in dark mode. When i get hit with laser it flashes red (front hit) or yellow (rear hit).

Hopefully the pics came out OK and warning ... my car is very dirty! And i have nooooo idea how to make half these pics to stand up straight. Sorry.
Did Your installer have to drill holes to Mount the Rear Sensors?

The install looks really good.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #19
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes. They drilled in from the "top" if you will. The indented area on the trunk where the tailgate handle is located. They capped it nicely - you can't even tell.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #20
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryngo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofmine View Post
Nice. All that in a day! You must be quite the novice .. Good for you. It's nice to be able to pay yourself for 12 hours of labor.
Yes, indeed
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #21
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Anyone want the same/similar setup let me know. Special offers for BP members.
Appreciate 0