BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Man math in buying high end watches

A recent thread by a guy that wants to buy an expensive Rolex before his wedding got me thinking.

I get the attraction of a magnificent timepiece. I'm just wondering where on the scale of importance do these high end watches fit. For sake of discussion, say a high-end watch is anything North of $20,000.

Who among you would buy a high-end watch before you have other major financial events in your life covered: e.g. wedding, children, home purchased, retirement account established and regularly funded, education, car, etc. Where does a high-end watch fit in terms of priority?

For those who chose a high end watch over these other important uses of funds, what's the rationale? Investment? Important for your job? Impress the ladies (or men?), just because you want to?

Please don't think I am wanting to judge other people's purchase logic, I am simply wondering what drives the decision. Life is short and people should buy what they want. There are so many high-end watches sold so there is certainly a market.

For myself, I am comfortable but not loaded by any means. I have a Tag, Omega Seamaster, and a Baume & Mercier. They are all nice but certainly not in the high-end range. No one is going to be impressed and say, look at the awesome watch he's wearing. Once in awhile I think about a high end watch but so far other ways to spend money have won out.

So, what motivates you all?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Women gets a ring told wife I get an engagement rolex
Appreciate 4
FSHNGRY2301.00
      06-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
That makes perfect sense. I'm already married. I'd have to "upgrade" her ring to play that card.
Appreciate 1
///Cardia299.50
      06-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

I have seriously considered buying a couple watches at that $20k mark a few times, but everytime I actually think about it, I picture all the things I can buy with that $20k. And if I did have a $20k watch, I'm not sure how often I would wear it. I tend to wear my cheap $100-300 watches much more than my $3k-5k watches just for the fact that I will bang my wrist against something hard that will mess it up.

Maybe one day I'll splurge on a $20k watch, but I highly doubt it unless i win the lottery.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

$20k? For some people that's a couple years of depreciation on their BMW. Watches last a lifetime and are heirlooms.

Some watches become more collectible and hold their value rather well, so total cost of ownership isn't as much as one would think. However, the cost of membership is a pretty hefty upfront price.

Source: Me, who doesn't own an expensive watch, haha
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 04:17 AM   #6
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker
$20k? For some people that's a couple years of depreciation on their BMW. Watches last a lifetime and are heirlooms.

Some watches become more collectible and hold their value rather well, so total cost of ownership isn't as much as one would think. However, the cost of membership is a pretty hefty upfront price.

Source: Me, who doesn't own an expensive watch, haha
This is it though. It is a far cheaper hobby than cars. You could by an M2 or a $60K watch. The watch has lower maintenance cost and will either a) hold most of its value forever or, b) be an asset that your grandkids can have ... And theirs ...
Also, if you ever need more liquidity, these watches are generally readily convertible to cash. Most don't appreciate but will retain a lot of their value. I would not do them before most other things are reasonably settled, but it is a great way to park some cash and get some enjoyment out of it.
      06-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

If the idea is buy the expensive watch before the wedding because as a couple it would never fly is a horrible idea. Once wedding plans are made I would expect both would look at really big purchases together before moving forward with them. If you can reasonably afford it and both are ok with it then great.

Quote:
Who among you would buy a high-end watch before you have other major financial events in your life covered: e.g. wedding, children, home purchased, retirement account established and regularly funded, education, car, etc. Where does a high-end watch fit in terms of priority?
I would put a $20k watch below all of them (would laugh at the guy wearing a $20k watch that can't afford to buy a house, maybe saving for his gold teeth?) and if you are going to say it is a good investment then make sure you add in insurance every year, any repairs and a decent % of return, not "I bought it for $20k and 20 years later sold it for $30k when my son was headed to college" when a good investment would be worth $80k (less than 8% return).
      06-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #8
Scoob13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
That is exactly what we did. She got her ring and then two weeks later I got my Sub-C.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

To change the subject to about watches as an investment.
I would guess most new watches will lose value and never gain back or add value.
Yes, Panerai is excellent at introducing and distributing models that dealers sell before getting the inventory but that is ficklel side of the market. The last Panerai collector I talked to said it's pretty much B.S. with Panerai now.
Now since China and Russia ( not sure about Gulf States ) dealers are sitting on inventory seems like a bubble has burst.
Rolex & Patek are a special case but the rare of those brands cause the auction bonanza.
MB&F and the quarter million dollar stuff is collector territory and don't know that they resell well.
Twenty-thousand is a weird price point for watches - usually gold and in-house-movement - pretty much run of the mill Patek, that'll never turn a profit?
If your a collector and buy a bunch of stuff, maybe you'll posses a future collectible, really the whim of the market and very hard to predict. Really the Daytona is a freak in how it became notorious, how many could have predicted?
Curious what others think ?
BTW I'm looking forward to the Bulova Curv so I'm not writing from experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #10
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

A watch is to a man, what jewelry is to a woman.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
To change the subject to about watches as an investment.
I would guess most new watches will lose value and never gain back or add value.
Yes, Panerai is excellent at introducing and distributing models that dealers sell before getting the inventory but that is ficklel side of the market. The last Panerai collector I talked to said it's pretty much B.S. with Panerai now.
Now since China and Russia ( not sure about Gulf States ) dealers are sitting on inventory seems like a bubble has burst.
Rolex & Patek are a special case but the rare of those brands cause the auction bonanza.
MB&F and the quarter million dollar stuff is collector territory and don't know that they resell well.
Twenty-thousand is a weird price point for watches - usually gold and in-house-movement - pretty much run of the mill Patek, that'll never turn a profit?
If your a collector and buy a bunch of stuff, maybe you'll posses a future collectible, really the whim of the market and very hard to predict. Really the Daytona is a freak in how it became notorious, how many could have predicted?
Curious what others think ?
BTW I'm looking forward to the Bulova Curv so I'm not writing from experience.
You almost need to look at watches like cars. If you buy new, you will lose money most times. But if you buy used, you wont and can potentially make some money.

I havent bought a new watch in years now. Through ebay and the watch forums and a few other online retailers, you can find used watches for great prices. And the best thing is, the used prices dont really go down unless there is an influx of inventory. I bought an Omega and Tag last year used in great condition for the same price, if not a little less, than what I can turn around and sell them for today. And Ive had my eye on an AP that everytime I see it pop up used, its the same price as the last time.

BTW, that Bulova Curv looks pretty sweet.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
If the idea is buy the expensive watch before the wedding because as a couple it would never fly is a horrible idea. Once wedding plans are made I would expect both would look at really big purchases together before moving forward with them. If you can reasonably afford it and both are ok with it then great.
My brother has a watch slush fund set up for just such things. Wife doesn't notice bc he's always got something new, she thinks they are loaners from the jeweler.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Personally I do collect watches and have a good number of them. I would not buy a watch over the other things you listed though. However I have an account set up for watch purchases. Would I spend $20k+ on a watch? Yes and I have done it a few times. As for making a profit on watches generally that doesn't happen but depending on which one you buy it will hold value much better than others. If you buy watches just to make a profit then you would need to get limited edition watches from truly high end brands.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
DfVgyCjmFQnu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i Auto Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
You almost need to look at watches like cars. If you buy new, you will lose money most times. But if you buy used, you wont and can potentially make some money.

I havent bought a new watch in years now. Through ebay and the watch forums and a few other online retailers, you can find used watches for great prices. And the best thing is, the used prices dont really go down unless there is an influx of inventory. I bought an Omega and Tag last year used in great condition for the same price, if not a little less, than what I can turn around and sell them for today. And Ive had my eye on an AP that everytime I see it pop up used, its the same price as the last time.

BTW, that Bulova Curv looks pretty sweet.
Which are the best watch forums and online retailers to purchase from? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #15
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

One among a few
http://www.timezone.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #16
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligament View Post
Which are the best watch forums and online retailers to purchase from? Thank you!
watchuseek is where the majority of my purchases come from. CrownandCaliber is another good place.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #17
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligament View Post
Before I got into modding my M4 most of my spare cash went into watches & guns.
As mentioned above watchuseek watch forum is awesome and for purchasing new/used watches of any style/price watchrecon.com
You can setup email alerts to be notified if a particular watch goes on sale throughout several forums.
Great for if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket.
      06-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #18
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
I think for most people "high end" watches are a treat. Most likely if you can afford a $20k watch, you are not concerned about being able to afford a house or a car or a wedding ring, etc...

For me watches have become a self reward. I set a goal for myself. If and when I accomplish that goal, I reward myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #19
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Buying is one thing but where do you sell once you get tired of the watch you own at some point and want to change.
For example I own a Rolex SS Daytona and ordered the new ceramic bezel Daytona and might decide to not keep both...
Not sure high end watches are as "liquid" when time comes to sell.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #20
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
Buying is one thing but where do you sell once you get tired of the watch you own at some point and want to change.
For example I own a Rolex SS Daytona and ordered the new ceramic bezel Daytona and might decide to not keep both...
Not sure high end watches are as "liquid" when time comes to sell.
Try http://www.rolexforums.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #21
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

I had an extra 10K to spend and it was between a Submariner or 9,259 corn dogs at Sonic. I went with the Submariner.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #22
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
I had an extra 10K to spend and it was between a Submariner or 9,259 corn dogs at Sonic. I went with the Submariner.
The hard decisions we have to make sometimes. It's terrible. Life shouldn't be this hard. I reward myself generally. However I haven't bought a 20k watch and I don't think I ever will, the most expensive watch I have is 2k. That will change with time and depends on how nice I am to my wife.
Appreciate 0