BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Back in the BMW Game, need advice...

I recently bought the new Supra and forgot how much I liked BMW.

I am looking to pick up a X5M for my wife and was wondering the "must have" options, based on your experience.

Her only "need" is the B&O system, other than that, she doesn't care....but I do.

*No kids, so the rear entrainment package isn't a big deal

*Night vision seems cool, but guessing is over-rated?

*Are there any upgraded comfort options? Massaging seats? Or do all the X5M come with the same comfort options?

Looking at a 2016-17.

Thanks all!!
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

I love the full leather interior, self-closing doors and B&O.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
The HUD is a nice feature I would have never looked for, but now that I have it I would next time. Surround View camera system is nice. These might be standard on M, but not sure. I think the M comes with the sport seats that I hear are pretty good as well.
      10-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

So most that I looked at had the Executive pack and Driver's assistance plus. I think most everyone would want the exec pack. DA+ is more debatable imo. I think HUD and soft-close doors are both in Exec pack. I didn't think I would care about soft close doors but I really like them.

The options that I wish my car had were full leather and CF interior trim. The CF trim is a bit confusing as it was a no cost option. Oh well. B&O would have been nice but it wasn't make or break for me. Mine doesn't have night vision and I am fine with that.

Good luck! It is an awesome ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
My opinions;
Mugello Red interior with Carbon fiber trim was a must have. Very happy with this.
Full leather - must have, again well worth it.
B&O - initially was a must have but I could live without this.
HUD - must have, love this. Makes you well aware of the speed limit and your speed.
Soft Close - for me was a must have but now it feels like its not really worth it. Will not be a must have going fwd.
Not sure if these are standard but the alcantara headliner and LED headlamps are both must haves and very much worth it.
Also 21" wheels at a minimum are essential. The X5 looks like a boat on stilts on anything smaller.. especially if you're not lowered.

I know this is for your wife but without these must have mods, i'd be less happy lol.
ECU flash, BM3 is very cheap $800 and works well.
Catless pipes, changed the sound and adds to the health of the car bc of the significant improvement in heat-soak and air flow.
A font lip.. i prefer the iND.
Spacers are ESSENTIAL again this reduces the boat look and significantly improves the stance.

Mine sits as such, mods done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Blewx5m128.00
AECDY299.00
      10-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I have the order sheet for the '16 M. Packages are as follows:
Driver assistance -
Active Blind Spot
Active driving
Surround view
Speed limit info

Executive -
Heated Steering
Soft close doors
Ventilated front seats
Heated rear seats
Adaptive LED lights
Auto high beams
Head's up
Concierge services

Not many options other than B&O, parking assistant, Night vision
      10-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Following as well as looking to replace our Cayenne GTS (sadly unicorn 6MT).

There is a distinct idrive (hardware+software) difference between 16-17 right? No CarPlay in 16 but option in 17?

I'd want as few driver assist features as possible (they're actually distracting to me), unless can be coded off?
      10-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
Following as well as looking to replace our Cayenne GTS (sadly unicorn 6MT).

There is a distinct idrive (hardware+software) difference between 16-17 right? No CarPlay in 16 but option in 17?

I'd want as few driver assist features as possible (they're actually distracting to me), unless can be coded off?
You can turn off the driver assistant package features individually. There is also a button that will turn all off or on. I usually turn them off for "spirited" driving, and back on for long cruising. Also yes, NO carplay in 2016. Much to my disappointment after picking up a '16.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 01:12 AM   #9
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

At minimum:
Full Leather
DA Plus
Executive
B&O
21"
      10-30-2019, 01:26 AM   #10
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

I would suggest a '17 at the very minimum (price difference not that great between '16-'17) with the '16's factory warranty expiring soon.

You will still have some warranty remaining in either case, CPO or otherwise and can extend this, if you so desire. Choose the Executive pack at the very least, with all color combinations/options being a personal preference.

No massage seats in any year, as the F85 generation was skipped. Best of luck in your search.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:17 AM   #11
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Full leather is a MUST
Executive package - covers LED headlights/adaptive lights, Soft close doors, and on '17 and up wireless charging and wifi hotpsot
DA
B&O - if buying CPO or used, then I would get it. Not much price difference vs those without B&O.
Carbon fiber trim
21"
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:34 AM   #12
superkevin813
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
My opinions;
Mugello Red interior with Carbon fiber trim was a must have. Very happy with this.
Full leather - must have, again well worth it.
B&O - initially was a must have but I could live without this.
HUD - must have, love this. Makes you well aware of the speed limit and your speed.
Soft Close - for me was a must have but now it feels like its not really worth it. Will not be a must have going fwd.
Not sure if these are standard but the alcantara headliner and LED headlamps are both must haves and very much worth it.
Also 21" wheels at a minimum are essential. The X5 looks like a boat on stilts on anything smaller.. especially if you're not lowered.

I know this is for your wife but without these must have mods, i'd be less happy lol.
ECU flash, BM3 is very cheap $800 and works well.
Catless pipes, changed the sound and adds to the health of the car bc of the significant improvement in heat-soak and air flow.
A font lip.. i prefer the iND.
Spacers are ESSENTIAL again this reduces the boat look and significantly improves the stance.

Mine sits as such, mods done.
I'd like to see your rear pic. hitch with diffuser
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

OP, you are from North Dakota. Never been there. It sounds cold and there must be wild life running around. Big Elks perhaps? If so get Night Vision, where I am it saved my ass a few times with deer running around. Your wife is going to be driving this car so it's another safety feature well worth it. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkevin813 View Post
I'd like to see your rear pic. hitch with diffuser
Sorry here you are. This is the modification.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks all!

I found one that I am picking up tomorrow, it has every option available.

I have a 7hr drive home, I can't wait.
2007 650i-sold
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:46 PM   #16
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
OP, you are from North Dakota. Never been there. It sounds cold and there must be wild life running around. Big Elks perhaps? If so get Night Vision, where I am it saved my ass a few times with deer running around. Your wife is going to be driving this car so it's another safety feature well worth it. Good luck
Got it, thanks!
2007 650i-sold
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:24 PM   #17
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i101 View Post
Thanks all!

Congrats! Post up pics of this unicorn when you have a chance.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #18
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Quote:

I am looking to pick up a X5M for my wife and was wondering the "must have" options, based on your experience.

Her only "need" is the B&O system, other than that, she doesn't care....but I do.

*Are there any upgraded comfort options? Massaging seats? Or do all the X5M come with the same comfort options?

Looking at a 2016-17.

Thanks all!!
I have all of these options.. Despite everyone's opinion on craving more and more Bass.. The B&O is simply amazing.. It's Loud and Clear and its Bass will shake the front seats and the rearview mirror.. I recommend you fine tune the EQ to suit your taste.. It's one of the best (If not the Best) factory systems I have ever had.. 1200w of near endless volume.. And I have had the BOSE system in my 2012 CTS-V Coupe and the 9 Speaker Alpine system in my 2015 Rubicon HardRock And the Individual Sound option with BavSound Ghost Subs in my 2013 E71 X6M.. And BTW the subs are so good in the 2015 + B&O models that BavSound doesn't even offer subs that better them.. Yes, there Ghost Subs for Individual, Top Hifi will fit but you will not gain anything besides mutilating a great, well balanced system..

*Tip.. The B&O has special lighting effects for all three of its front tweeters which can be turned on or off under the lighting menu, B&O lighting on/off.

The Night Vision is truly remarkable and a rare option to come across.. You have to see it in action to appreciate it.. It will WOW all of your passengers for sure.. Its almost like your piloting the Millennium Falcon at night instead of driving a BMW! lol

The rear entertainment looks nice and uses good monitors.. Rear seated Adults can play movies via DVD player or USB Stick.. You need to use the included remote.. They can also browse the radio or a music playlist.. And most of all you can have your rear occupants look up directions and send them directly to the front NAV screen.. Pretty slick.. You need to purchase the headphones though.

If the car your looking at has these options its most likely to be fully loaded with everything else as well.. I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by ~ViO~; 11-01-2019 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
dpie77.50
      11-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #19
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ViO~ View Post
Quote:

Looking at a 2016-17.

Thanks all!!
I have all of these options.. Despite everyone's opinion on craving more and more Bass.. The B&O is simply amazing.. It's Loud and Clear and its Bass will shake the front seats and the rearview mirror.. I recommend you fine tune the EQ to suit your taste.. It's one of the best (If not the Best) factory systems I have ever had.. 1200w of near endless volume.. And I have had the BOSE system in my 2012 CTS-V Coupe and the 9 Speaker Alpine system in my 2015 Rubicon HardRock And the Individual Sound option with BavSound Ghost Subs in my 2013 E71 X6M.. And BTW the subs are so good in the 2015 + B&O models that BavSound doesn't even offer subs that better them.. Yes, there Ghost Subs for Individual, Top Hifi will fit but you will not gain anything besides mutilating a great, well balanced system..

*Tip.. The B&O has special lighting effects for all three of its front tweeters which can be turned on or off under the lighting menu, B&O lighting on/off.

The Night Vision is truly remarkable and a rare option to come across.. You have to see it in action to appreciate it.. It will WOW all of your passengers for sure.. Its almost like your piloting the Millennium Falcon at night instead of driving a BMW! lol

The rear entertainment looks nice and uses good monitors.. Rear seated Adults can play movies via DVD player or USB Stick.. You need to use the included remote.. They can also browse the radio or a music playlist.. And most of all you can have your rear occupants look up directions and send them directly to the front NAV screen.. Pretty slick.. You need to purchase the headphones though.

If the car your looking at has these options its most likely to be fully loaded with everything else as well.. I hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ViO~ View Post
Quote:

Looking at a 2016-17.

Thanks all!!

I misspoke, it does not have the rear-entertainment package, even though I never have people in the rear seats, based on how you described it, it sounds like a pretty neat set-up.

Agreed, the B&O system is great! I was expecting much worse, based on the reviews of it. Bass was very good, not sure why people say there is not enough, I had my car shaking like I was a high-schooler. (The lights are cool too)

Night Vision proved itself on my drive home. I was on some back country roads, come around a corner, and bam, 2 deer, one in the ditch the other on the shoulder, it is crazy how good it works.

So does the night vision system only work when I am displaying it on the o drive screen? Or is it monitoring all the time, providing critical alerts as needed?

I believe I have every other option, I have the window sticker from the dealer and msrp was 116k. (Wow, I love depreciation
2007 650i-sold
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #20
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:
Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:
Thanks all!

Will do, I will get some posted tomorrow (Sunday)
2007 650i-sold
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #21
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As requested....ignore the dirt...(I put the 20" winters on)

Having a hard time figuring out the parking assist feature? I drive around, it shows the sonar image and camera, but never tells me when to stop....??

Also the camera views/parking assist seem goofy to me. I hit one button and I get the overhead surround view, but no other cameras....hit the camera view sometimes it goes to the front camera, other times the rear?? (Perhaps that is based on if I am going forward or back??)

Would be cool to have multiple camera (surround and front or back) in at the same time.

Is there a black border for the front kidney grill that looks good? Any have pics on their car?
Attached Images

2007 650i-sold
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #22
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Very nice! A genuine Silver Bullet.... Congrats! 👍👍
Appreciate 0