BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Cold Start question

The cold start in my E70 was insane.

The cold start in the F85 is non existent. The E70 held higher RPM and was super dramatic about it, and the F85 seems like it just starts. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I park it inside the garage and kids are sometimes sleeping when I have to leave so it's quite nice to be able to start the car and not wake them up, and my entire neighborhood.

Is the F85 coded to not have the classic dramatic "cold start"?

TIA!
      10-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
Skyracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Never had an E70 so I can't compare, but the cold start on my '18 F85 is plenty loud... if this is quiet compared to an E70, wow - I guess every E70 owner made enemies with their neighbours pretty quickly LOL!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyracer View Post
Never had an E70 so I can't compare, but the cold start on my '18 F85 is plenty loud... if this is quiet compared to an E70, wow - I guess every E70 owner made enemies with their neighbours pretty quickly LOL!
Dude it was brutal. Plus, at that time we lived in a condo building with semi-subterranean parking. Cold starts in the winter turned the entire garage into one 20K sqft subwoofer.
      10-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

You can under BM3...

My wife doesn't like it when I start the car early with an Eisenmann Race exhaust because it's loud as hell right under the master bedroom!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Skyracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

So just to clarify: does your F85 not hold higher RPMs on cold start for about 20 seconds (variable depending on outside temp), with the valves wide open? If not, there is something wrong, because every one I've ever heard, including mine, does just that.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyracer View Post
So just to clarify: does your F85 not hold higher RPMs on cold start for about 20 seconds (variable depending on outside temp), with the valves wide open? If not, there is something wrong, because every one I've ever heard, including mine, does just that.
Nope. This is exactly what I mean. My F85 does not hold higher RPM even for a second. It starts as if it was running all day..
      10-31-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Interesting. My F15 has a pretty noisy start in the morning, until the valve in the exhaust closes and the RPMs drop.

Cold starts used to be VERY dramatic before my injector completely failed. RPMs would drop so low it would die at times, or drop low enough to then spike dramatically. Doesn't do that anymore now the injector was replaced.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      10-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Interesting. My F15 has a pretty noisy start in the morning, until the valve in the exhaust closes and the RPMs drop.

Cold starts used to be VERY dramatic before my injector completely failed. RPMs would drop so low it would die at times, or drop low enough to then spike dramatically. Doesn't do that anymore now the injector was replaced.
My wife's GLE 350 is more dramatic than my F85 with Dinan intake and Eisenmann Sport! Lol
      10-31-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
dougieefressh
Rep
Drives: YAS/SO F80

Was the F85 purchased used? perhaps the previous owner coded cold start?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Nope. This is exactly what I mean. My F85 does not hold higher RPM even for a second. It starts as if it was running all day..
Hey V what's up? Did you experience this before the Velos tune? Maybe Velos can chime in. With some tunes, the cold start (higher RPM's) can be coded on/off. GL
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:
Hey V what's up? Did you experience this before the Velos tune? Maybe Velos can chime in. With some tunes, the cold start (higher RPM's) can be coded on/off. GL
Yes, it was this way before Velos as well.

I'll have to give them a call and see what they read in my stock file that I emailed them..

I don't want it changed, I love drama free starts, but curious to see!!
      10-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it was this way before Velos as well.

I'll have to give them a call and see what they read in my stock file that I emailed them..

I don't want it changed, I love drama free starts, but curious to see!!
Really?!? Glad you like it, but it doesn't come OEM that way. I sus you had a tune already. Will Velos give you a refund? lol
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #13
TheVazha
Major
Rep

What should I look for to know if my car already had a tune?

Are there any signs in the engine bay I can inspect? It all looks like normal car to me, but I just don't know what I'm looking for..
      10-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #14
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What should I look for to know if my car already had a tune?

Are there any signs in the engine bay I can inspect? It all looks like normal car to me, but I just don't know what I'm looking for..
Anything that looks aftermarket tucked off to the side of the engine. Have you heard back from Velos yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 05:24 PM   #15
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Ok would love your thoughts/ideas.

I spoke to Velos and they suggested putting the stock tune back on. I did, and voila, my first cold start.

So the timelines are this:

Vehicle comes off truck as CPO - no cold start. Nothing, car starts up perfect and is a beast, but no cold start.

Velos tune goes on - still no cold start (Velos does not code out the cold start, and certainly didn't on my tune, this was confirmed.

Stock tune goes back on the car, I start it, and I have a glorious "cold start".

What is goings on here?
      10-31-2019, 05:42 PM   #16
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ok would love your thoughts/ideas.

I spoke to Velos and they suggested putting the stock tune back on. I did, and voila, my first cold start.

So the timelines are this:

Vehicle comes off truck as CPO - no cold start. Nothing, car starts up perfect and is a beast, but no cold start.

Velos tune goes on - still no cold start (Velos does not code out the cold start, and certainly didn't on my tune, this was confirmed.

Stock tune goes back on the car, I start it, and I have a glorious "cold start".

What is goings on here?
Man, that's a head scratcher. Maybe some experts can chime in here with the answer. I would love to know this too! Sub'd.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 06:58 PM   #17
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Man, that's a head scratcher. Maybe some experts can chime in here with the answer. I would love to know this too! Sub'd.
Totally.

If anyone has thoughts, please share.

Vehicle comes off truck as CPO - no cold start. Nothing, car starts up perfect and is a beast, but no cold start. It starts at normal idle, not a hair over what the normal idle is.

Velos tune goes on - still no cold start. As per Velos, they do not code out the cold start, and didn't on my tune, this was confirmed by the programmers today.

Stock tune goes back on the car - I start it, and I have my first glorious "cold start". The engine for the first time since I've owned it does the whole dramatic 1800RPM+ hold, than tapers down to normal idle 10-15 seconds later. My neighbors are already peeking through their windows.

As per Velos, when I sent them the original file, it was the "stock" file on the car. Meaning, they weren't altering someones else's tune (assuming I had one on there already), but rather modifying the stock parameters. When I flashed with Velos tune, I essentially overwrote whatever was on there. There's no way (I guess) for me to know if I already had a tune, but the only thing I'm concerned about is even after Velos sent back the mod file, I still didnt get the CS. I only got my first CS after I flashed the "stock" tune back on the car..

Someone who knows how these things work please help. I am sending you an abundance of good Karma.
      10-31-2019, 07:10 PM   #18
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

I know with the BM3 tune, you can turn the CS on/off. But i'm gonna try it adding it to the stock tune & report back.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      11-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #19
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Hey The Vazha, on my BM3 agent software, the CS can be added to or removed from the stock tune, as well as the OTS 91 octane tune. So maybe yours had a tune already? Hmm...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #20
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Thank you brother, I appreciate you taking your time to check.

I spoke to the guys at Pro Tuning Freaks and they were stellar. They offered to help me clear all the tunes and rewrite the ECU with a "stock" file. I did not do business with them in the beginning, and felt bad taking them up on their offer; i don't want a freebee. That said, the fact they were willing to take time to help speaks for itself.

I did some troubleshooting with Velos today. We put the stock tune on, and CS came back. I have vid, it's a legit (not intense, it was warm out today) cold start.

Took her out for a ride with the stock tune and it was gutless - comparatively speaking to the tune. It's crazy how slow it felt. It was still fast, don't get me wrong, but night and day compared to the tune.

Then after a few hours, I put the "Mod" file back on. Car was resting all day and CS went away again. I took her out for a spin and the beast was back. Pin you to the seat power, angry shifts, the whole package.

I'm waiting to hear back from Velos on the tune. The power is there for sure, but we need to figure out why the CS is not happening. I don't want it anyway, but we need to be clear on why it's non existent when the Velos tune is on the car..
      11-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #21
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

NP. I wish I had your determination to get to the bottom of this. And talk about great customer service for a non-customer lol 😂.

So how does it compare to when you first bought it, did it feel like it was tuned already or no? The plot thickens!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #22
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
NP. I wish I had your determination to get to the bottom of this. And talk about great customer service for a non-customer lol 😂.

So how does it compare to when you first bought it, did it feel like it was tuned already or no? The plot thickens!
It was 100% tuned. Or maybe not. Who knows bro, the whole thing is a blur.

What's important is that we purged the ECU and now for certain I'm running the Velos tune. With no cold start. Just the way it was, and the way i like it. Lol

But I still want to know why!