BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Tank never fills 100%

Anyone else find the pumps always stop short by quite a bit? I was running low the other day where the computer said 15 miles of range left. Filled up and it stopped at 19 gallons. I see this pretty much every time I fill up. I haven't tried setting the fuel pump to fill at the slowest rate...maybe that would work?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

I have exactly same issue... now every time pump stops I know I can put additional gallon in. Probably some sensor. Will ask the dealer at next appointment
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Same for my F86 except the gauge under the Speedometer isn't full while the actual fuel gauge on the left shows full.
      11-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexk1012 View Post
...the gauge under the Speedometer isn't full while the actual fuel gauge on the left shows full.
FYI...the gauge "under" the speedometer is a "range" gauge. It shows how far you can travel on the tank of gas at the current MPG.

That display (under the speedometer) can increase if your range increases due to better MPG. For example, if your daily driving is mostly urban/city...and your avg MPG is say "17 MPG"...but you fill up and start on a long trip that is mostly highway and your MPG goes up to lets say 22 MPG...while you're driving and your MPGs start going higher...your "range' will increase and you will also see that display under the speedometer increase. Again, that display is an approximation of range based on your current avg MPG and amount of fuel in the tank.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
...the gauge under the Speedometer isn't full while the actual fuel gauge on the left shows full.
FYI...the gauge "under" the speedometer is a "range" gauge. It shows how far you can travel on the tank of gas at the current MPG.

That display (under the speedometer) can increase if your range increases due to better MPG. For example, if your daily driving is mostly urban/city...and your avg MPG is say "17 MPG"...but you fill up and start on a long trip that is mostly highway and your MPG goes up to lets say 22 MPG...while you're driving and your MPGs start going higher...your "range' will increase and you will also see that display under the speedometer increase. Again, that display is an approximation of range based on your current avg MPG and amount of fuel in the tank.
Thank you! I had a sneaking suspicion it wouldn't give me double fuel gauges. Just figured the gauge would show full with just less range instead of being less range AND not entirely full.
      11-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Thank you! ... Just figured the gauge would show full with just less range instead of being less range AND not entirely full.
Yeah...that gauge isn't really clearly explained in the owners manual.

There's also other "range" related things that gauge will show..which again...is not about "fullness" of the tank...but about a visual indication of how far you can drive in miles/kilometers on the amount of gas in the tank and your current avg MPG. By not going all the way to the right on a full tank...it allows for a visual representation of increased range if your MPG changes.

For example, if you have a navigation location programmed into the OBC (OnBoard CPU..I'm going back to old BMW lingo ) ...that gauge will place a DOT that indicates the range of fuel needed to make it to your destination. And if you pull up ROUTE INFO (in iDrive)...it can also show you approx where you'll need to refuel...and then you can also look for fuel stations using the POI (points of interest) feature of iDrive:
  1. {note the yellow circled "DOT" on range gauge...it indicates (from left to right) the range I can drive to a destination I have programmed that is approx 180 miles away on only 1/2 tank of fuel remaining in the tank. If I can keep the same avg MPG...it appears that I can make it to my destination if on the fuel remaining in the tank based on the DOT
  2. {and if I look at the Nav map...there's another "DOT" (see green circle & arrow) in the route around Dayton OH...this is where the nav system is recommending that I refuel...I can go into POI (in iDrive) to find fuel stations}
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Thank you! ... Just figured the gauge would show full with just less range instead of being less range AND not entirely full.
Yeah...that gauge isn't really clearly explained in the owners manual.

There's also other "range" related things that gauge will show..which again...is not about "fullness" of the tank...but about how far you can drive in miles/kilometers on the amount of gas in the tank and your current avg MPG.

For example, if you have a navigation location programmed into the OBC (OnBoard CPU..I'm going back to old BMW lingo ) ...that gauge will place a DOT that indicates the range of fuel needed to make it to your destination. And if you pull up ROUTE INFO (in iDrive)...it can also show you approx where you'll need to refuel...and then you can also look for fuel stations using the POI (points of interest) feature of iDrive:

{note the yellow circled "DOT" on range gauge...it indicates (from left to right) the range I can drive to a destination I have programmed that is approx 180 miles away on only 1/2 tank of fuel remaining in the tank. If I can keep the same avg MPG...it appears that I can make it to my destination if on the fuel remaining in the tank based on the DOT

[img]https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1572909105[/img]

{and if I look at the Nav map...there's another "DOT" (see green circle & arrow) in the route around Dayton OH...this is where the nav system is recommending that I refuel...I can go into POI (in iDrive) to find fuel stations}

[img]https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1572909105[/img]
I might start using the nav again with that info! I opted to just have my phone on a vent mount but those seem pretty convenient especially for long road trips.