BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
TX X5M
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Extended Warranty

I've poked around, but most of the threads appear to be about a year old or more at this point.

My 2016 X5M is coming out of warranty soon. I called the dealership here in Austin, TX that I have it serviced at and they quoted me $9,500 to extend to 100K or $7,900 to extend to 75K. This will take it out 3 more years, and does not include maintenance.

My X5M seems to be in the shop for something about once every two months, so it's a no brainer that I definitely want to extend. However, this sounds like highway robbery. Does anyone know a dealership that can beat these rates? I've read both, the prices are standard across all dealerships, and also found a couple on here that say they can beat these prices and I've contacted them.

Just curious what others are doing.

Last edited by TX X5M; 11-03-2019 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Call carchex. Pretty decent.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

I have three quotes:

Carchex
Concord
AUL

Concord gives by far the best terms, length of time and coverage, but they are the only ones that are not an "exclusionary" policy. They list all the components "not" covered, and also all the components that are covered. They give a BS excuse and say they are exclusionary, but they list both. This is not exclusionary.

Carchex is great.

The new one that I just came across is AUL. I've never heard of them before but my local BMW dealer has been selling them for about 6 years and the service advisors LOVE them.

Deciding between the two. Will post terms and price tonight and report back. Both are coming in at around $5500 for 4/75+-..
      11-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Carchex offered me a 3yr/36k miles full coverage no maintenance on '16 F86 for $5200. They call me every other day.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
I have three quotes:

Carchex
Concord
AUL

Concord gives by far the best terms, length of time and coverage, but they are the only ones that are not an "exclusionary" policy. They list all the components "not" covered, and also all the components that are covered. They give a BS excuse and say they are exclusionary, but they list both. This is not exclusionary.

Carchex is great.

The new one that I just came across is AUL. I've never heard of them before but my local BMW dealer has been selling them for about 6 years and the service advisors LOVE them.

Deciding between the two. Will post terms and price tonight and report back. Both are coming in at around $5500 for 4/75+-..
Watch out for any company or policy that's 'non-exclusionary', especially when you've signed over all your hard earned money. Just imagine you have to file a claim for a big expense, only to find out you're not covered!

So listen to your SA, as they work with these companies on a daily basis, in order to get paid for services rendered. My SA gave me similar advice, as he did not recommend a BMW policy in my case. I still have a year to decide though. But my question is: which of those 3 policies are transferable to the new owner if you decide to sell?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Watch out for any company or policy that's 'non-exclusionary', especially when you've signed over all your hard earned money. Just imagine you have to file a claim for a big expense, only to find out you're not covered!

So listen to your SA, as they work with these companies on a daily basis, in order to get paid for services rendered. My SA gave me similar advice, as he did not recommend a BMW policy in my case. I still have a year to decide though. But my question is: which of those 3 policies are transferable to the new owner if you decide to sell?
100%!

The good news is that they're all transferable with a minimal fee..
      11-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
TX X5M
Rep

Have any of you actually had to have your vehicle serviced using the Carchex or other non-BMW policies? Can you get copies of each policy to compare the coverages? The Carchex, if it will cover everything the BMW warranty (essentially the factory warranty) does, would save me about $4,200. So I'm very interested....
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
Chicago X
Freezing
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

I was quoted around $11k for warranty and service to 100k on a 2016 with 33k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Any extended warranty you need to see who the underwriter is and a company might use different UR for different cars heck even a different customer.

Carchex is just a broker for various extended companies and though they sound reasonable but they have had questionable reviews too. They claim they could and would help in case if their are coverage denials but who knows if they actually would or not?

AUL and concord, not sure. My BMW dealer wasn't very pleased with it even though the dealership group sold them for various manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #10
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick View Post
Any extended warranty you need to see who the underwriter is and a company might use different UR for different cars heck even a different customer.

Carchex is just a broker for various extended companies and though they sound reasonable but they have had questionable reviews too. They claim they could and would help in case if their are coverage denials but who knows if they actually would or not?

AUL and concord, not sure. My BMW dealer wasn't very pleased with it even though the dealership group sold them for various manufacturers.
Totally, you and I went through this..

I think if there's a problem with Carchex at least they'll cancel and refund in full. They do not want the bad press.

Concord on paper is the best, and their ratings are amazing but not exclusionary.

AUL is a strong contender.

Will be pulling the trigger this week. Will post results.
      11-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #11
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

I just bought my ride and it was a CPO showing a warranty to 100k.

The X5m has 40k miles on it, they told me the CPO warranty is non-transferable, is that correct?
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #12
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

BMW Factory extended warranty full coverage is £1441 here in the UK.

$1850 US?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX X5M View Post
I've poked around, but most of the threads appear to be about a year old or more at this point.

My 2016 X5M is coming out of warranty soon. I called the dealership here in Austin, TX that I have it serviced at and they quoted me $9,500 to extend to 100K or $7,900 to extend to 75K. This will take it out 3 more years, and does not include maintenance.

My X5M seems to be in the shop for something about once every two months, so it's a no brainer that I definitely want to extend. However, this sounds like highway robbery. Does anyone know a dealership that can beat these rates? I've read both, the prices are standard across all dealerships, and also found a couple on here that say they can beat these prices and I've contacted them.

Just curious what others are doing.
What have you been in the shop for? Are these things you can fix yourself?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #14
TX X5M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
What have you been in the shop for? Are these things you can fix yourself?
No, I don't work on my own car. Mostly it's just been in the shop for what I think are routine maintenance items...spark plugs, brakes, springs, oil change, air filters, and replace front camera. All of these have been covered under my factory warranty.

Carchex quoted me $5,200 for an exclusionary policy (which appears to cover pretty much everything my current warranty does), can cancel anytime for prorated refund over the course of the warranty. Transferable to a new owner for a $50 fee. Will take me out to 100k miles and 4 additional years from warranty start date (not vehicle in service date), which I plan to keep the vehicle for.

BMW factory, regardless of who I contact, is coming in at $9,500 for 100k miles or 3 more years. This sounds utterly ridiculous unless they are going to keep covering my maintenance under the warranty (not service agreement) like they've been doing, which is highly unlikely.

But to date (knock on wood) I haven't had any major issues. It's been a pretty reliable vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #15
TX X5M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago X View Post
I was quoted around $11k for warranty and service to 100k on a 2016 with 33k miles.
I was quoted $9,500 for a 2016 with 48k miles to 100k or 3 more years.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #16
aliangF85
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

quite hefty compared to canadian prices. i paid 6500 CDN to extended warranty to 84000KM or 3 additional years. Warranty from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #17
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
Don't Do it!

Quote:

I think if there's a problem with Carchex at least they'll cancel and refund in full. They do not want the bad press.

Concord on paper is the best, and their ratings are amazing but not exclusionary.

I had CarChex for about 3 months, until I had to use them! I had 5 year 100K protection plan for my 2015 X5M with 36k on it. Made 4 payments of $265 per month to total the 5k for the plan. I had the Titanium plan. took my X5M into my local BMW dealership because my drivetrain malfunction light came on. Right off the bat my service advisor said we have been having problem with the administrator of this CarChex warranty. I called my administrator, as they said send us the estimate before you authorized any work. My deductible is $200.00. So after the diagnose BMW had to replace a part. Part cost $175, BMW labor was 2.5 hr. at $147.00 per hour came out to a total of $565.00 give or take. CarChex disputed BMW part cost and labor price. They only wanted to pay $140.00 for part and said labor was only .8 and only authorized $127.00 when BMW want around $350.00 for labor, understand labor was also, the diagnose time too. Long story short I spent 4 hour going back and forth with CarChex and the Administrator! CarChex only paid $85.00 of $565.00. Then I never got the authorization because of issue with the administrators not agreeing to pay for diagnose and CarChex approving cost of diagnose. So having to deal with two parties was crazy! I just paid the full price myself, and told CarChex to send me in mail what they will pay me with or without diagnose cost. Either $85.00 or $145.00! After making four payments of $265. which was around $1060 for nothing. I cancel my service the same day and block the auto draft from my checking account. Bottom-line if you want to use CarChex you cannot take your vehicle to a BMW shop, you will have to take it to European car shop that don't charge BMW prices.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #18
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M View Post
Quote:

I had CarChex for about 3 months, until I had to use them! I had 5 year 100K protection plan for my 2015 X5M with 36k on it. Made 4 payments of $265 per month to total the 5k for the plan. I had the Titanium plan. took my X5M into my local BMW dealership because my drivetrain malfunction light came on. Right off the bat my service advisor said we have been having problem with the administrator of this CarChex warranty. I called my administrator, as they said send us the estimate before you authorized any work. My deductible is $200.00. So after the diagnose BMW had to replace a part. Part cost $175, BMW labor was 2.5 hr. at $147.00 per hour came out to a total of $565.00 give or take. CarChex disputed BMW part cost and labor price. They only wanted to pay $140.00 for part and said labor was only .8 and only authorized $127.00 when BMW want around $350.00 for labor, understand labor was also, the diagnose time too. Long story short I spent 4 hour going back and forth with CarChex and the Administrator! CarChex only paid $85.00 of $565.00. Then I never got the authorization because of issue with the administrators not agreeing to pay for diagnose and CarChex approving cost of diagnose. So having to deal with two parties was crazy! I just paid the full price myself, and told CarChex to send me in mail what they will pay me with or without diagnose cost. Either $85.00 or $145.00! After making four payments of $265. which was around $1060 for nothing. I cancel my service the same day and block the auto draft from my checking account. Bottom-line if you want to use CarChex you cannot take your vehicle to a BMW shop, you will have to take it to European car shop that don't charge BMW prices.

Can you confirm your administrator was American Auto Shield? That's who they're trying to set me up with, and their reviews are not stellar.

Also, did Carchex step in to help at all?

Carchex keeps insisting that they'll step in and help if there's a dispute..
      11-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #19
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Warranty

Quote:
Can you confirm your administrator was American Auto Shield? That's who they're trying to set me up with, and their reviews are not stellar.

Also, did Carchex step in to help at all?

Carchex keeps insisting that they'll step in and help if there's a dispute..
I will check it, my old contract is in my car. Will post later today. I would tell you CarChex was just as bad. Tried to act like they were helping me, but in the end was no help at all. Stating we're working with the administrator of contract. After 4 hours at BMW, decide to pay the bill and cut my loses. Also, check with your local BMW shop and ask them what aftermarket companies they're having issue with and not? Good luck, so I'm back on market or thinking about just trading it in on the new X5M COMP 2021
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #20
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Think of all the repair work you can get done for the $5-9k in warranty cost with potentially unknown payout parameters.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #21
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

That's my take too. $5,500 might be worth it, probably would but ONLY if I was confident the repairs would get fixed without issue. I am far from certain they would. In fact, I would expect to have to fight to get every warranty claim approved.
Appreciate 1
houbmw65.50
      11-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #22
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
That's my take too. $5,500 might be worth it, probably would but ONLY if I was confident the repairs would get fixed without issue. I am far from certain they would. In fact, I would expect to have to fight to get every warranty claim approved.
The administration service I had was Royal Administration Service. I have decided to just put the amount I would’ve paid CarChex in account each month draw interest and if I have an issue use those funds, if no issues and I trade in on new X5M. I will have that cash to do what I want. Like you said with $5k protection plan most vendors will nickel and dime you on cost. Then you will be like I was fighting for pennies on dollar for what you paid.
Appreciate 0