BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
jbfq2014@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Intermittent cold while temp set hot

Hello friends

Temperature in SC has been dropping and I noticed that on the driver side I would get cold air for 5 seconds every 45 seconds. It does not matter what temp I put.

This does not happen on the passenger side or rear. The temp dial by the vents are set to hot on both but I can put my hand on the driver side and gets cold compared to the passenger side.

Also i can feel the driver side fan higher when blowing the cold air for 5seconds.

The X5 is CPO until 2021

Any ideas ?
Appreciate 1
BBDDVV10.50
      11-14-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
aataulla
Rep
Drives: F15 X50i, e90 323i

This completely normal behavior if you have it set to automatic recirculation. My Lexus and BMW keep doing this themselves if I have the recirculation set to automatic. Apparently BMW vehicles may be fitted with a condensation sensor and an air quality sensor which modifies the ratio of fresh air in your car while trying to maintain interior temperature

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474542
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:48 AM   #3
aataulla
Rep
Drives: F15 X50i, e90 323i

Taken from the other thread about 3 series recirculation. I think x5 must be behaving in a similar fashion

Automatic Air-recirculation Control

If the AUC II sensor detects an increased level of pollutants in the environment from spark-ignition and diesel engines, the IHKA control unit will automatically switch to air recirculation mode.

To make sure there is still an adequate supply of fresh air, air recirculation is only available for a limited time:

• At ambient temperatures less than 0°C:
2 minute recirculated air mode -> 20 seconds fresh air mode -> 2 minute recirculated air mode -> etc.

• At ambient temperatures from 0°C to 6°C:
3 minute recirculated air mode -> 20 seconds fresh air mode -> 3 minute recirculated air mode -> etc.

• Operation without a/c function at ambient temperatures greater than 6°C:
4 minute recirculated air mode -> 20 seconds fresh air mode -> 4 minute recirculated air mode -> etc.

• Operation with a/c function at ambient temperatures greater than 6°C:
12 minute recirculated air mode -> 20 seconds fresh air mode -> 12 minute recirculated air mode -> etc.

When the engine is started and the AUC function activated, fresh-air mode is always selected for approx. 40 seconds due to the warming phase of the AUC sensor.

Condensation Sensor

The condensation sensor is controlled and powered by the roof module (FZD). Thesensor data are transferred via the K-CAN to the control and operating unit where they are evaluated. The IHKA control module receives all information sent from the FZD control module via the K-CAN spliced through the junction box.

The condensation sensor is mounted under the rain light sensor (RLS) on the mirror base.

Other names for the condensation sensor are Mist, Fogging, and Humidity sensor.

When moisture is detected by the Condensation Sensor, the following occurs:
• Defroster Flaps open further
• Blower speed is increased
• Temperature increases
• Fresh Air Flaps open 100%
• Footwell Flaps are closed
• Evap Temp threshold goes to minimum
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
jbfq2014@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
ragingpixel
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

For what it's worth, this sounds a little like what happened to mine last year. In summer time, with the AC on max, it would intermittently switch fan positions - the air blowing out of the top vents would alternate between full blast and "less than". I took it to the dealer and they found that the device addressing (sort of like an IP address) of some of the modules that regulate the system had gotten mixed up - basically, the computer was telling one device to do something, and another one was receiving the message. They re-flashed the software, and it has been fine ever since.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

I had a very similar issue last year. My heater used to blow normal hot air, and every 45 seconds or so blast of cold air. It was not normal. I took the car to the dealer and they fixed it by resetting entire module.
PS. I forgot to mention. It only happened on the driver's side.
Pps. It had nothing to do with circulation. Take her to service
      11-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

My 2015 is doing something similar but only seems to be on the passenger side. Cold air blowing when I put on heat. Is this something we can reset manually or trip to dealership is needed? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
splitsensetam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
My 2015 is doing something similar but only seems to be on the passenger side. Cold air blowing when I put on heat. Is this something we can reset manually or trip to dealership is needed? Thanks
I'm having the same issue on the passenger side and trying to determine if a trip to the dealer is needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quick update - I think perhaps arctic cold and not having circulate (drawing air in from outside) made it feel worse. Not sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
BBDDVV
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G31 530e

Same thing happening here, not normal behavior, started after regular maintenance (oil change, charcoal filters replacement, brakes etc.) last week...

Blowing of some steam...
Went to the dealer today, explained what's happening and showed an IR picture I took earlier today. The receptionist looked for know issues but only found something related to 4 zone AC (not mine) and suggested to open the rear vents. Mentioned I have a 2 zone AC, he agreed that would eliminate this as a valid thing, but then asked if the rear vents are open or closed. Said they were closed. He then insisted to open the rear vents, we went to the car and he saw the rear vents were closed. "That's it" he said, and opened the vents, "give it a try" (!?). I said it wasn't behaving like this before with the vents closed, and I want the vents to be closed (kids close them anyway), when he now suddenly agreed it wouldn't make a difference. When I asked if he could connect to the car and read out any codes, he said it wouldn't help knowing if there are faults, "we'd be no step closer to a solution, or do you disagree?". Mentioned I disagreed and thought he's cutting corners in saying so. His reply "well, we don't have time for this, I can give you an appointment to look at this"

Pfff, I must have been expecting too much (like a technician to diagnose a sick car in that nice drive-in reception bay?).
Appreciate 0