BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-30-2024, 02:51 PM   #23
G0rdon
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

I think I've just found out a clue...When I drive with the passenger, the clunk seems to disappear ...So I've used my dad as a driver, I sit down on the passenger side and once again - clunk is gone?!?

So what would cause the clunk disappear under 80kg+ load? Could it be the strut/strut mount?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 04:59 PM   #24
G0rdon
Poland
Rep

I will also be checking soon the front drive shaft as I've saw plenty of people had problems with it (play on the U-joints), so it might be worth to inspect it.

But I wanted to ask about a different thing I've might did wrong (and maybe that's also causing clunk?) - when I was replacing the strut (shock absorbers only) I was thinking it doesn't matter how the strut mount is installed (I have classic, non-vdc suspension) - does it also have to be set up in a specific direction? If yes, does anybody posess a manual for non vdc strut replacement?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 07:59 AM   #25
kodpkd
Rep
Drives: 320i xdrive, 2017 X5

I am looking for the same clunk. Has anybody found the upper A arm making the noise? As long as I'm taking things apart the two lower arms and stabilizer link shouldn't be that hard to do.
Has anybody had luck with Bison Performance parts?

Last edited by kodpkd; 05-15-2024 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:29 PM   #26
G0rdon
Poland
Rep

Both BMW + a friend from BMW dealer checked the A-wishbones and they were ok + everybody said they fail very rare.
As I'm still fighting with that noise, I've recently lifted the car again and concentrated on non-suspension parts. What caught my attention was the front drive shaft and the play on it - I have even bigger play than on this video:

So I've decided to send my shaft for regeneration ( including U-joint replacement and modified, longer spline):

I should replace it and test closer to end of this week - I'll let you know on the results.
Appreciate 2
_ObiJon207.50
1004ron28.00
      05-18-2024, 05:18 AM   #27
BMW X5 guy
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0rdon View Post
Both BMW + a friend from BMW dealer checked the A-wishbones and they were ok + everybody said they fail very rare.
As I'm still fighting with that noise, I've recently lifted the car again and concentrated on non-suspension parts. What caught my attention was the front drive shaft and the play on it - I have even bigger play than on this video:

So I've decided to send my shaft for regeneration ( including U-joint replacement and modified, longer spline):

I should replace it and test closer to end of this week - I'll let you know on the results.
Keep us posted, I'm chasing a light clunk as well. Replaced sway link, tension strut and lower control arm with no luck. I don't have much play on this shaft, probably not that.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 05:24 AM   #28
BMW X5 guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodpkd View Post
I am looking for the same clunk. Has anybody found the upper A arm making the noise? As long as I'm taking things apart the two lower arms and stabilizer link shouldn't be that hard to do.
Has anybody had luck with Bison Performance parts?
Don't think I've read too much on upper making the noise but anything is possible.

I'm chasing this as well...... suspicious of the strut having replaced lower arms and sway bar link with no luck. Did solve some creaking and rides tighter, but didn't fix the driver side clunk noise over small bumps.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 09:15 AM   #29
G0rdon
Poland
Rep

So I'm back with results - drive shaft replaced, sitting now tight in the transfer case - no more play on the spline.
Did a test drive on my "test" road - .... clunk is still there .

So at the moment I'm thinking where to look next for this "dull" clunk...
have anybody replaced the strut mount?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:29 PM   #30
BMW X5 guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0rdon View Post
So I'm back with results - drive shaft replaced, sitting now tight in the transfer case - no more play on the spline.
Did a test drive on my "test" road - .... clunk is still there .

So at the moment I'm thinking where to look next for this "dull" clunk...
have anybody replaced the strut mount?
Ugh, sorry to hear it. I know the heartbreak of that test ride after all your work.
Appreciate 0