BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2021, 08:12 PM   #243
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 xM3C/'20 X3MComp

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80SRT View Post
Yes, in fact that's what I bought for now and they should arrive this week.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read good things about these pads as well, so we'll see.

BTW - I ordered BMW Genuine rotors ($309/each):
https://www.bmwpartspros.com/v-2017-...--front-brakes
4-11-2-284-901
4-11-2-284-902

My local dealership quoted me $1345.30 (for rotors only) plus any shipping charges depending on where they are going.
UPDATE: After a year with these pads, I just couldn't deal with the loss in stopping power/feel. They were just too mushy for me so i went back to OEM.

Initial bite is noticeable. Just thought I'd pass along.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 02:08 AM   #244
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80SRT View Post
UPDATE: After a year with these pads, I just couldn't deal with the loss in stopping power/feel. They were just too mushy for me so i went back to OEM.

Initial bite is noticeable. Just thought I'd pass along.
Hey that's disappointing, those EBC Yellowstuff pads were going to be my next fitment but probably not now.

Thanks for the honest feedback 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 06:41 AM   #245
JRock80
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock80 View Post
Power Stop (Z23-919B) Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Pads, Rear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O6PVEHS..._uRMLdrAltT6ce

Power Stop Z23-1738,Z23 Daily Driver Front Carbon Fiber ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086M7J4DV...UTF8&psc=1

You need only two - 1 for each axle
Hella Pagid 355251731 Disc Brake Pad Wear Sensor An elec... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IP984EG...UTF8&psc=1
Thank you so much for this info!

Just to confirm, these brakes will fit a F86, correct?
Yes - same as F85
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #246
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
There is always a compromise between Semi-Metallic pads vs Carbon Ceramics. Initial Bite vs No Dust. For me, I will take no dust over initial bite.
      04-01-2021, 10:49 AM   #247
F80SRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 xM3C/'20 X3MComp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuille36 View Post
There is always a compromise between Semi-Metallic pads vs Carbon Ceramics. Initial Bite vs No Dust. For me, I will take no dust over initial bite.
Yup, which was why my attempt to move to different pads.

I've since also powder coated both my summer and winter setups (black) so dust doesn't bother me as much.

The performance for me further degraded in the rain, and I'm an aggressive driver so just couldn't keep with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:53 AM   #248
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyZ06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian View Post
I know zero about them...but once found these:

http://www.shopebcbrakes.com/EBC-Red...ubmodel12_key=
FYI, EBC part #DP32091C is the wrong pad for the F85 XM5. Sending my order back today.
Lol of course. Rotors too or just the pads? I'm assuming they're for the E70 X5M. Did they just send you the wrong stuff or do they actually not carry pads for the F85/86 which is what I'm assuming since for whatever reason no one makes shit for those brakes. Which I woulda known that before buying them over the MPBK.
Here you go guys.

If you need the rear pads for the f85 power stop ceramic I have a brand new set for 50 bucks since I upgraded my rear brakes to Porsche. Dm me if anything.
Attached Images

04-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #249
m3fuz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M, 19 X3 30i, 03 C4S

I just put the PowerStop pads on today - front and rear. The pedal feel is going to take a lot of getting used to since it feels like a luxobarge’s brakes. But the sound, or more importantly the lack thereof, is heavenly. I only put about 25-30 miles on them, but the lack of firmness in the pedal is very different.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #250
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3fuz View Post
I just put the PowerStop pads on today - front and rear. The pedal feel is going to take a lot of getting used to since it feels like a luxobarge's brakes. But the sound, or more importantly the lack thereof, is heavenly. I only put about 25-30 miles on them, but the lack of firmness in the pedal is very different.
Yeah pedal feel is terrible. Almost rear ended someone in traffic the other day. Sucks but the silence is worth it.
      04-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #251
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Interesting everyone's view point on this! So I'm a custom wheel guy and aesthetics guy and nothing more than an aggressive driver at times. I owned my F86 for less than a month and said F this the dust and squeal alone and coming from an E70 X5M Obv no different actually there was less squeal only in reverse for some reason but anyways No way, me personally I will take less bite and what's discussed about pedal feel vs cleaning a stock 21" wheel or what's even more challenging with a custom set daily literally vs what's now monthly on power stop pads or whatever
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #252
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Ceramic

Anyone ceramic coating their wheels and calipers?

My rig is in the shop and will have ceramic coated wheels and calipers when completed.

Hoping that the wheels stay cleaner since I'll be using stock pads because I want as much bite as possible as an aggressive daily driver.

Now that the weather is getting nicer, I'm okay with a weekly or so touch-up if necessary.

The squeal on the other hand... Might need to crank the tunes that much more!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #253
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastern X5M View Post
Anyone ceramic coating their wheels and calipers?

My rig is in the shop and will have ceramic coated wheels and calipers when completed.

Hoping that the wheels stay cleaner since I'll be using stock pads because I want as much bite as possible as an aggressive daily driver.

Now that the weather is getting nicer, I'm okay with a weekly or so touch-up if necessary.

The squeal on the other hand... Might need to crank the tunes that much more!
I can't afford to be squealing all over NYC. It makes a 100k suv look like a Hyundai tiburon. Ceramic coating seems nice but if you get curb rash you have to coat it again I'm sure.
      04-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #254
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

I hear you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klienfeld303 View Post
I can't afford to be squealing all over NYC. It makes a 100k suv look like a Hyundai tiburon. Ceramic coating seems nice but if you get curb rash you have to coat it again I'm sure.
The squeal definitely sucks. Curb rash sucks too. Requires repainting and recoating (if you have ceramic coating). Sometimes a wheel repair before all that too, if it's bad enough...

Thankfully curb rash has not been a thing for me. I'm only in urban areas every so often. When I am I'm on pothole and curb alert though! Since I'm new to driving this rig, I park like I have no idea what I'm doing whereas I would just throw my current SUV into the spot in a NY second.

My wheels and calipers will be powder coated. The ceramic coating is like a permanent wax for your paint, so brake dust and dirt and debris is less likely to stick and usually can be removed easier.

At the very least, it's a good idea to have your wheels thoroughly waxed. Inside the barrels and everything. That way they'll be a little slicker to avoid build-up and/or they will hopefully clean up that much easier.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 07:54 AM   #255
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
One of the drawbacks to carbon ceramic pads is the lack of initial bite. As I was driving into work today, I had to get of the brakes extremely hard as the traffic came to an abrupt stop. It would have been nice to have it. Luckily I didn't hit the vehicle in front of me
I have to learn to give myself more stopping distance, as I get use to these pads.
      04-06-2021, 08:52 AM   #256
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastern X5M View Post

My wheels and calipers will be powder coated. The ceramic coating is like a permanent wax for your paint, so brake dust and dirt and debris is less likely to stick and usually can be removed easier.

At the very least, it's a good idea to have your wheels thoroughly waxed. Inside the barrels and everything. That way they'll be a little slicker to avoid build-up and/or they will hopefully clean up that much easier.
I've found that ceramic coating makes wheels (and cars) much easier to wash, but unfortunately, doesn't really repel any brake dust or dirt. It's worth it alone though just for the ease of cleaning.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #257
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Also ceramic coatings don't last forever, it must be applied again and again. And it can be expensive to have it professionally done.
      04-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #258
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Hmmm....my F85 had schoolbus squealing brakes prior to taking it in in May 2020 for the last service where they changed the front pads/rotors. It's been squeak free since then where maybe I heard a whiff of a faint squeak once or twice. I wonder if it has something to do with worn pads and the pistons being extended a lot and perhaps pushing them back in and replacing the pads will help. I also recall when I first serviced the brakes on my e39m5 years ago (bought second hand, so whatever maintenance it had prior was unknown to me) and there was this red, dried, rubbery substance surrounding the piston/perhaps on the entire back of the pad. It looks like it might be this:

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05016-Sin...V88/ref=sr_1_2

I wonder if using that with stock pads will work. I have a set of new powerstops waiting to go on, but after hearing these reviews that pedal feel is mush (could that be from the rubber coating on the shims?) and stopping performance might be diminished, I'm not sure if I want to install them...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #259
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
These are similar pads that I have on my E63, and they work great. I think that since, the rotors and pads are new they haven't fully bedded in yet. I also coated the contact areas of the pads and calipers, to eliminate squeaks. So, I think that rubber coating was that.
      04-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #260
Pronga38
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepr72 View Post
So after lots of research (including this thread), I have opted for these EBC Yellowstuff pads with a new set of OEM rotors/discs.

Options for the F85 X5M are limited in Australia and stock is almost non existent. My only other options were to have rotors/discs made and the use of OEM pads which as we all know dust up quite badly.

Total cost is $1,760AUD and a couple hours of my time to remove the old and fit the new when everything arrives in a few weeks. My local BMW dealer wanted $3K AUD.

Link for the Yellowstuff pads here. Thanks to Darrell from Empowered Auto Parts for trying to find me options and finally getting me the pads when no-one else could. Great customer service and quick replies to emails.

OEM Rotors/discs were purchased from eBay from bandw_parts who were also pretty helpful with quick email turnaround times.
Thanks Sleepr72, I just picked up my 16 F85 a few weeks ago and also being based in Melbourne have found getting multiple parts, including Rotors & Pads, difficult.

I'll go with your recommendation on the EBC Yellowstuff pads - I trust there's been no performance issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #261
m3fuz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M, 19 X3 30i, 03 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
Hmmm....my F85 had schoolbus squealing brakes prior to taking it in in May 2020 for the last service where they changed the front pads/rotors. It's been squeak free since then where maybe I heard a whiff of a faint squeak once or twice. I wonder if it has something to do with worn pads and the pistons being extended a lot and perhaps pushing them back in and replacing the pads will help. I also recall when I first serviced the brakes on my e39m5 years ago (bought second hand, so whatever maintenance it had prior was unknown to me) and there was this red, dried, rubbery substance surrounding the piston/perhaps on the entire back of the pad. It looks like it might be this:

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05016-Sin...V88/ref=sr_1_2

I wonder if using that with stock pads will work. I have a set of new powerstops waiting to go on, but after hearing these reviews that pedal feel is mush (could that be from the rubber coating on the shims?) and stopping performance might be diminished, I'm not sure if I want to install them...
Surprisingly, I got used to the pedal feel very quickly. While the initial bite isn't what it was with the stock pads, if you slam on the brakes, the car will stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 08:04 AM   #262
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3fuz View Post
Surprisingly, I got used to the pedal feel very quickly. While the initial bite isn't what it was with the stock pads, if you slam on the brakes, the car will stop.
100%. I first used Akebono Ceramics on a fun weekend car many years ago. The change in brake dust was astonishing. I was amazed. The initial bite did change for sure, but not the overall braking. I can't imagine anyone thinking they have less overall brakes with them, but initial bite - yes.

After I got used to it on that car, I actually liked them better. When throwing it around the twisties on and off the brakes, I felt they were much better and more forgiving. If you hit the pedal a little harder than expected it did not put you thru the windshield or dig the front in too hard. I could pulse the brakes better for the desired effect without worrying about that sharp bite.

I have had 3 cars since then and put these on them immediately even when they were not needed. I have them on my X5 too. I'll stick with them till I find something I like better. I have 1,000% confidence in my brakes.
      04-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #263
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I have Power Stop Carbon Ceramic Pads on both my X5M and E63 AMG, and I absolutely love them. As everyone has stated, you lose the initial bite but the trade off is that, their more rotor friendly and no brake dust.
Not having to clean the wheels every few days is great. I wouldn't go back to semi-metallic pads for anything.

Last edited by Yuille36; 06-09-2021 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #264
OperationROL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M & BMW X5 35i

1 week behind me now with Power Stops all around. I did not notice as big a bite difference as most have stated. I absolutely LOVE them. No squeal and no (very little) brake dust! I can finally drive amongst people and not be embarrassed that this 100k+ car sounding like something out of a junkyard. I will recommend these to everyone.
Appreciate 1