Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Hahahahaha, fu.
No offense The Vazha, your Q was legit, but if you wanna take credit, by all means 😆. I was referring to this guy on another thread:🧵
Quote:
Originally Posted by syu78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Filters wouldn't physically fit under the stock lid.
I meant to ask if I could run without any lid with the Dinan filters exposed.
Any drawbacks?

None taken brother, I was totally kidding.

I just installed BMC filters. I can say confidentially that the exhaust note is louder and that shift fart is really loud. It almost sounds like a res delete mod. I'm not nuts. Probably no performance gain but if she's breathing easier it was worth it!
      06-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #24
syu78
Rep
Drives: X5 F85; 535i F10

Quote:

I just installed BMC filters. I can say confidentially that the exhaust note is louder and that shift fart is really loud. It almost sounds like a res delete mod. I'm not nuts. Probably no performance gain but if she's breathing easier it was worth it!
Nice! Thanks for posting info. Do you hear any turbo spool?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #25
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:

Good to know! Thanks for the update
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #26
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Didn't hear turbo spool, but didn't push it either. I'm in a little quiet community and it's just too quiet for testing mods. Lol

I'll get it on the road tomorrow AM and post vid.
      06-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #27
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by syu78 View Post
Why is it not viable or worth entertaining? Because Dinan said so? You're basically saying BMS completed screwed up on the M5 kit and almost every other company that made drop in filters in the past.
i was referring to modifying boxes to make dinan filters work; secondly a "kit" as pictured below is ridiculous and not worth the money. i would wager that a set up as pictured below is all about sound and very little about "gains".

i dont know what dinan "said" but as i said earlier in the thread i have the dinan s2 kit. i installed the intake myself and the oem cover is not going to fit over the filters. there are drop-in filters that work with the stock box but some have smaller media than the oem filters. again, as mentioned earlier i had bms drop-in filters on my f15 50i... i have nothing against the company and my feedback and posts are based on my experience. i am simply sharing my opinion based on what i have installed, driven and experienced. if you would like to buy items, force them to fit or hack up oem parts then by all means go for it. your cash, your car, your call.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1431682

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=34

Fitment of Dinan Air Filter in stock OEM box:

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #28
syu78
Rep
Drives: X5 F85; 535i F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
i was referring to modifying boxes to make dinan filters work; secondly a "kit" as pictured below is ridiculous and not worth the money. i would wager that a set up as pictured below is all about sound and very little about "gains".

i dont know what dinan "said" but as i said earlier in the thread i have the dinan s2 kit. i installed the intake myself and the oem cover is not going to fit over the filters. there are drop-in filters that work with the stock box but some have smaller media than the oem filters. again, as mentioned earlier i had bms drop-in filters on my f15 50i... i have nothing against the company and my feedback and posts are based on my experience. i am simply sharing my opinion based on what i have installed, driven and experienced. if you would like to buy items, force them to fit or hack up oem parts then by all means go for it. your cash, your car, your call.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1431682

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=34

Fitment of Dinan Air Filter in stock OEM box:

I think we misunderstood each other and I apologize. On the other Dinan intake thread (https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8#post24934798), I was talking about installing the filters without the lid. Not modifying the stock lid. I know its not the optimal way of doing it, but I don't really believe that I would be losing much "gains" without the lid versus not having the higher volume filters at all.

I don't expect much "gains" with just an intake kit or air filters. More for sound. I realize that with a tune and exhaust the gains from the intake will amplify, but for now just looking for an affordable way of adding something to my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #29
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

no worries; i am simply here to add to conversation if possible. if you're only looking for more sound then driving without the lid will definitely achieve that but you would probably lose a great deal of low-end from all the hot air you're sucking in. considering the price of any intake for this platform i would skip it completely it is if it is a stand-alone "mod". money better spent elsewhere if not combined with supporting hardware and software.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #30
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Got parts!
Attached Images

07-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #31
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Got parts!
Ahh, I recognize that big box. CAI!😀
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #32
TheVazha
Major
Rep

This is mad! No need for exhaust anymore. And the scream from the turbos.. oh man!
Attached Images

07-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #33
donut_boi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M DGM

Quote:
This is mad! No need for exhaust anymore. And the scream from the turbos.. oh man!
Oh man, congrats! Makes me want to go the Dinan route versus just a air filter upgrade
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      07-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #34
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

add a tune and they get louder. huge difference from stock when you do it all in one shot. very noticeable.
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      07-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #35
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut_boi View Post
Quote:
Oh man, congrats! Makes me want to go the Dinan route versus just a air filter upgrade
Shoot me a PM. I have a guy who has reasonable pricing. Not too far off going rate, but very reasonable.

After I returned the springs, BMC filters, and a couple other BS things I bought for her, I had enough for this! 🤘

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
add a tune and they get louder. huge difference from stock when you do it all in one shot. very noticeable.
I have the Velos set up, it's really something. I figure the extra 20HP I can pick up doing DP's or the Dinan. This is the play for sure. Although who knows, next week I'll be getting another box! 🤪
      08-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #36
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Old thread but looking to see if anyone has experience installing the F85 Dinan Cold Air Intake on the F15 50i? Looking to see if it's plug and play and if there are any photos floating around?
Appreciate 0