BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #1
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Air Spring Question

About to embark on replacing my air springs with the Arnott bags, but was curious of what other causes of deflation may be beyond bag leaks. The reason I ask is because they have deflated 3 times in the last year. Once after I change my summer/winter wheels over in the spring. It seemed related to jacking the car and I thought I maybe confused the system. It then happened two weeks ago after car sat for 5 days. Came out this morning and deflated again. I had jacked one side of the front up yesterday to clean the hub and mating surfaces (gets rid of clicking noise) so I'm just curious if jacking is causing it.

Is there a level sensor or something that the jacking may be effecting?

It's a 17 w/54k miles, so replacing bags is probably good preventative maintenance anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 11:51 AM   #2
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

Could be a compressor leak
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 12:42 PM   #3
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, M3 ZCP, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I think that you may have a leak somewhere, as these bags aren't a common failure point. I replaced my bags a few years ago, and that are still good to go now. Most common issue for these bags are dry rot and cracking due to age. The next time your under there, use soapy water in a spray bottle and soak every connection down, to see where the air is bleeding out.
      10-17-2023, 02:26 PM   #4
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Thanks you both. I'm going to replace the bags anyway as it's a cheap fix and piece of mind. I'll have to spray around the compressor connections etc. to see if the air is leaking from somewhere other than the bags.

I just though it odd that my deflations seemed to come after jacking the car up.
Appreciate 0