BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-07-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
Darkmann
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Something is Running with Motor Off - Check for me Please

Mine is a 2017 F15 with executive package. I recently had the driver's side door "soft close" module replaced under warranty. Then I just noticed that a motor/fan runs when I open any door or trunk, after motor is shut off. Even when fully locked, if I pull on the trunk handle, the motor comes on. The sound comes from the front driver's side of the motor. It runs for maybe, a couple minutes and stops. It will restart when I open any door or trunk. It does not happen when motor is dead cold - as in sitting in garage overnight. I have no idea if this is related to the door module repair. Is this normal operation? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Auxiliary water pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
Darkmann
Private
Rep

Thanks CatalinP. I thought it was the aux water pump also. But why would it restart/re-run when I open a door, or even just pulling on the trunk handle? Obviously, at some motor temperature it will shut down for good. But that seems like a strange way for the aux pump to operate. The one on my ML runs for about 5-minutes, then shuts down until next motor shut-off, and it runs immediately after motor shuts off. I don't believe the one on the X5 came immediately after shut off - I'll have to check.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmann View Post
Thanks CatalinP. I thought it was the aux water pump also. But why would it restart/re-run when I open a door, or even just pulling on the trunk handle? Obviously, at some motor temperature it will shut down for good. But that seems like a strange way for the aux pump to operate. The one on my ML runs for about 5-minutes, then shuts down until next motor shut-off, and it runs immediately after motor shuts off. I don't believe the one on the X5 came immediately after shut off - I'll have to check.
The auxiliary coolant pump (you don’t give a model nomenclature and not all X5s have one)...receives a signal from the IHKA (AC/heat control panel)...to make sure that the coolant flow rate needed in the heater circuit is maintained.

So if the vehicle is up to running operating temps...it will start (or continue to briefly run) in anticipation of the climate control system being needed.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
You sure you're not hearing a different sound when you open the door? The fuel pump kicks on for a few seconds when car is awaken.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
Darkmann
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
You sure you're not hearing a different sound when you open the door? The fuel pump kicks on for a few seconds when car is awaken.
The fuel pump does come on very briefly with some buzz sound, just like you described. Also, I don't think the pump will come on from just pulling on the trunk door handle, without opening the door and security system armed.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #7
Darkmann
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The auxiliary coolant pump (you don’t give a model nomenclature and not all X5s have one)...receives a signal from the IHKA (AC/heat control panel)...to make sure that the coolant flow rate needed in the heater circuit is maintained.

So if the vehicle is up to running operating temps...it will start (or continue to briefly run) in anticipation of the climate control system being needed.
I don't know what the motor is but I should have been less brief: X5 xDrive 50i MSport, just like the one in your sig. Thanks for the explanation. So by touching the door handles, the system anticipates entry into vehicle and does its thing. Does yours do the same thing? I wonder why BMW does it this way - I'd think that the pump would come on for cold motor also. Thanks. Ooops, don't know why pic transmitted in landscape!
Attached Images

Last edited by Darkmann; 03-07-2021 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 06:56 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
...So by touching the door handles, the system anticipates entry into vehicle and does its thing. Does yours do the same thing? I wonder why BMW does it this way - I'd think that the pump would come on for cold motor also. Thanks. Ooops, don't know why pic transmitted in landscape!
Yep the aux coolant pump on both of my current BMWs run for a few moments after shut down (both have the N63TU engine.

It doesn’t do it on a cold engine because it cold coolant would do anything to warm the IHKA heating circuit to bring heat into the cabin.

I think the aux pump may run for other reasons, too. For example, it is useful for the REST (residual heat) feature that allows you to blow warm air into the cabin during cold temps without having the engine running (like when stopped at a railroad crossing or stuck in traffic, or running short errands in the winter). The IHKA will blow warm air into the cabin utilizing the residual heat from the engine for up to 15 minutes (or is it 30 minutes?).

And BMW has also utilized a similar features that goes back to the e38/e39/e53 era...where it was engineered to prevent a blast of hot air when the engine was turned back on (see highlighted text below):

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-07-2021 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
Darkmann
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Yep the aux coolant pump on both of my current BMWs run for a few moments after shut down (both have the N63TU engine.

It doesn’t do it on a cold engine because it cold coolant would do anything to warm the IHKA heating circuit to bring heat into the cabin.

I think the aux pump may run for other reasons, too. For example, it is useful for the REST (residual heat) feature that allows you to blow warm air into the cabin during cold temps without having the engine running (like when stopped at a railroad crossing or stuck in traffic, or running short errands in the winter). The IHKA will blow warm air into the cabin utilizing the residual heat from the engine for up to 15 minutes (or is it 30 minutes?).

And BMW has also utilized a similar features that goes back to the e38/e39/e53 era...where it was engineered to prevent a blast of hot air when the engine was turned back on (see highlighted text below):

Thanks.
Appreciate 0