BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #23
rahassell
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

UPDATE

My mechanic just called and stated he tried multiple times to recalibrate the steering angle sensor it would not accept or reset. The mechanic did say that he believe the recalibration will clear the errors but he just can't do. He tried multiple times. I was curious what did the recalibration process entailed, so I asked what did he have to do.

He states that while the computer is connected to the car, he had to do certain or required movements with the steering wheel and even drive in circles in different directions. I assume that's correct.

Do anyone have any ideas why it will not recalibrate?

He told me there was an error code reference radio. I assumed because the CarPlay module connect to the wiring harness behind the head unit, the system knows it there thus the error code. I wonder is it preventing the recalibration.

I am not sure why or if the Andream CarPlay MMI would keep the unit from recalibrating, so tonight I will uninstall the unit thus the radio error should be gone or able to reset. The mechanic will try to recalibrate the steering angle sensor again.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:52 PM   #24
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandary View Post
Thanks. It's not clear in the instructions but can in the thread others have had problems with the SDP data. Do i simply extract a couple folders and copy them into the ISTA folders?
You don't need SDP data fr this. Read the introduction part of the guide please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahassell View Post
My mechanic just called and stated he tried multiple times to recalibrate the steering angle sensor it would not accept or reset. The mechanic did say that he believe the recalibration will clear the errors but he just can't do. He tried multiple times. I was curious what did the recalibration process entailed, so I asked what did he have to do.

He states that while the computer is connected to the car, he had to do certain or required movements with the steering wheel and even drive in circles in different directions. I assume that's correct.

He told me there was an error code reference radio. I assumed because the CarPlay module connect to the wiring harness behind the head unit, the system knows it there thus the error code. I wonder is it preventing the recalibration.

I am not sure why or if the Andream CarPlay MMI would keep the unit from recalibrating, so tonight I will uninstall the unit thus the radio error should be gone or able to reset. The mechanic will try to recalibrate the steering angle sensor again.
That doesn't sound correct to me the steering wheel calibration process just need your steering wheel visually centered.No need to drive in circles. Just watch this video here, different car but I'm pretty sure same process for F15.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #25
rahassell
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Quote:
Thanks. It's not clear in the instructions but can in the thread others have had problems with the SDP data. Do i simply extract a couple folders and copy them into the ISTA folders?
You don't need SDP data fr this. Read the introduction part of the guide please.

Quote:

That doesn't sound correct to me the steering wheel calibration process just need your steering wheel visually centered.No need to drive in circles. Just watch this video here, different car but I'm pretty sure same process for F15.
Wow that seems so simple. I will see if I can find the cable and download the software tonight. If not I will go back to the shop and explain this to him.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #26
rahassell
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Wow that seems so simple. I will see if I can find the cable and download the software tonight. If not I will go back to the shop and explain this to him.
Anyone have any idea where I can purchase or download the ISTA+ software for the X5 F15. I have the ENET cable ordered
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #27
quandary
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Red_Y posted the link on the previous page
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #28
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyone have any idea where I can purchase or download the ISTA+ software for the X5 F15. I have the ENET cable ordered
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1568962
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #29
rahassell
Rep

Quote:

Hello everyone, I did the unexperienced person route and purchased the ISTA+ software but it was just easier for me because it simply downloaded onto my PC and there was no guess work on which files for the other sites to download. Cost was only about $20 and my ENET cable came today.

This evening I used ISTA+ for the first time and tried following the video instructions above but it was totally different. Not sure if ISTA+ software was a different version even though the menus looks exactly the same or it was simply different model than my X5 2014 in the video. But I was able to run the calibration on steering angle and basically after the system did a calibration it restarted the computer and some faults went away.

I then disconnected and all error messages came back but after a short drive and the turning of the steering wheel both directions, and another turn off waited for 10 seconds and then restarted, the onboard screen in the car registered all systems ok. I drove it around for almost 10 miles with no errors returning. Everything was now working again including the signals.

I think everything is now okay. And again Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. The calibration of the steering angle did it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #30
quandary
Private
Rep

That's good. I also performed the calibration successfully.

Back to the original intention of this thread...i have seen other people have had steering angle sensor errors after a power outage while others have not. Is it possible that the second battery is feeding the computer memory? So, if you're not changing that one or changing one battery at a time, the memory will not be erased. (My boat has 2 batteries that operate independently for the cabin and the motor. If the motor battery is low, it can switch to also get power from the other battery. Maybe, this is also designed into the BMW.)

I'm only speculating so others do not run into the same issues afterwards...disconnect one battery at a time?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #31
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Going to bump this old thread, installed steering wheel with paddles today so disconnected the battery, once I got it back on got 2 errors in ISTA:
D01B2A Signal Actual Position EPS 51.0.2 invalid transmitter EPS
48239C EPS torque sensor (steering angle index): Index Faulty
Tried to re-calibrate the sensor and it looks like you need to jack up the front wheels to do it. This was a bit unexpected.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:33 PM   #32
Gidzila
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 40d

What did you end up doing Red? I'm thinking of swapping the paddle shifters and steering trim but worried about the car throwing up errors if I disconnect the battery. Is it ok to just do this without disconnecting the battery or is that a no no?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:43 PM   #33
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Got a second jack and got it re-calibrated, took about 5 minutes. I would not touch airbag without disconnecting the battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:07 PM   #34
Gidzila
Rep

Thanks mate. Now I gotta find that 2nd jack of mine somewhere...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 11:10 PM   #35
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Just to put in my two cents to help out since I have never experienced a problem with faults after disconnecting my battery. The longest I have had my battery disconnected is almost 4 month as I waited for my trim pieces to be sent back from the UK (custom work).

1. I only disconnect the negative on the main battery, I never touch the smaller battery.

2. I give the car about 10 minutes after disconnecting the battery terminal before I do any unplugging of cables or harnesses (advice from Lexus, as airbags and some ECUs tend to hold a charge for a bit after disconnecting the battery terminal)

I know it's different makers, but I follow this every time and have had no issues with faults. Maybe something to consider when working on your cars gents.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 05:00 AM   #36
Gidzila
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
Just to put in my two cents to help out since I have never experienced a problem with faults after disconnecting my battery. The longest I have had my battery disconnected is almost 4 month as I waited for my trim pieces to be sent back from the UK (custom work).

1. I only disconnect the negative on the main battery, I never touch the smaller battery.

2. I give the car about 10 minutes after disconnecting the battery terminal before I do any unplugging of cables or harnesses (advice from Lexus, as airbags and some ECUs tend to hold a charge for a bit after disconnecting the battery terminal)

I know it's different makers, but I follow this every time and have had no issues with faults. Maybe something to consider when working on your cars gents.
Tried this today when I swapped out the trim and shifters on my steering wheel and it worked for me. Opened the boot and the driver door, waited for all the lights to go off, disconnected battery, waited another 10 minutes then did all the work. When I reconnected the battery I didn't get any errors.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:57 AM   #37
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidzila View Post
Tried this today when I swapped out the trim and shifters on my steering wheel and it worked for me. Opened the boot and the driver door, waited for all the lights to go off, disconnected battery, waited another 10 minutes then did all the work. When I reconnected the battery I didn't get any errors.
You got it 🤙🏽

Further proof..do it anytime I'm dealing with electrical regardless of airbag or not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #38
Mentat
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M50d

After battery change on my x5 f15 2014 I’ve got the classic errors.
I’ve calibrated the steering wheel sensor and all disappeared, but I have new one!

I need to calibrate somethings else?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #39
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Is your front radar clean?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 01:42 PM   #40
Mentat
Private
Romania
Rep

Camera and radar are clean.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 05:26 AM   #41
Mentat
Private
Romania
Rep

After a long trip all my errors disappeared.
Hurray!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #42
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Probably needed some calibration.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:58 PM   #43
quandary
Private
Rep

The second battery (the smaller battery) powers the auxiliary systems. When disconnected, the memory is lost and you will have to recibrate the steering system. Ista works best. I tried using a Foxwell tool that has the menu to do it but it did not work. Keep you ista installation around for the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 06:12 AM   #44
Bagpype
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Porsche 944s2

Quote:
The second battery (the smaller battery) powers the auxiliary systems. When disconnected, the memory is lost and you will have to recibrate the steering system. Ista works best. I tried using a Foxwell tool that has the menu to do it but it did not work. Keep you ista installation around for the future.
Silly question and a bit off topic but where is this smaller battery located? I don’t see one near my main battery.
Appreciate 0